Riverfront Property Proposal(s)?

tony speller

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It sounds to me like Mr. Faust had some conversations with big shots and an idea, and he ran with it. Trouble was, no one was really on board, and he apparently thought the city would just say "here, have whatever you want." Unfortunately, the world doesn't work that way.

The more I think about this, the more I believe the city of Grand Rapids was taken for a ride. Or shall I say, certain people within the city were taken for a ride and those people projected their hope and optimism into the whole RFP fiasco.

If you take a look at the RFP, it appears that it was specifically designed for what Faust was selling. It was designed for his "proposal". That was a very demanding RFP that basically asked for a utopian 16-acre development. Who did they think was really going to submit?

Unfortunately, and I hate to say this, but I put most of the blame squarely on Mayor Heartwell. I have a feeling he was the person behind the scenes within the city that was really pushing this thing. Faust convinced Heartwell that this thing was possible and Heartwell took the bait. He got bamboozled. For once, I applaud Commissioner Tormala's caution.

I think Rizzo is right. And I might add (not to pat ourselves on the back too much) but I think many of the safeguards added to the RFP, including bringing in the outside consultant, were done specifically because of criticisms and skepticism brought up on this site. In fact, I specifically remember someone here recommending that it was too big for Susan Shannon and a consultant should be hired. Even many of the commissioners were beginning to question "Yes, this would be a great project, but who are the tenants?". That was hammered away at on this site back last Spring. No one else, not WOODTV, not the Press, not the Business Journal, no one on the MLIVE forums, asked that question until we started asking that question.

Does some of this look familiar?

http://www.tpgre.com/NBCUniversalUnveilsLo...oLosAngeles.htm

The NBC Universal plan would create 11,000 new jobs, Hotel, Restaurants, Retail, possible 3,000 seat entertainment venue, movie theater and housing. Click on the link above to read more about the news from 12/06/06. This just sounds like this could have been the River Grand project.

I've wondered how much influence this site has. I'm sure lots of folks at the City and elsewhere read it regularly, so I would think some of the issues we bring up at least are in the back of their mind.

Was the city required to issue an RFP for their property? Or could they have just sold to Faust out of the blue and weathered the s***storm that would have inevitably ensued?

And rizzo, your right, everyone was giddy, so I don't think you can fault Heartwell for that.

Remember?

up_membersonline3.jpg

Perhaps I'm being too harsh. And I agree that the proces worked. However, I still think that someone had to of been pushing the RiverGrand concept from within the city. Don't you rememver how giddy the Mayor acted on TV last year when this story first broke?

Are they trying to reproduce Monroe Center with those People's Building and Morton House lookalikes? Add on that Calatrave-esque pedestrian bridge and the UP people should be happy. :thumbsup: Additionally, it looks they have the whole project oriented AWAY from downtown, as if it is turning its back on downtown. Was this a statement someone was trying to make? I would think the best views would be toward the CBD? Plus, those two tallest are about 12 stories if I'm counting correctly and yet are as tall as the AGP. Nice work.

It does look eerily like your design civitas, and it also looks like they sat in the same "lifestyle village" class as Steve Benner:

212197709_f6e0236ee3_b.jpg

Are both the road/trail that follows the river and the bridge just pedestrian? The scheme looks very um .... clean. Understanding that the particular aesthetics of the buildings is probably a complete unkown at this time, the urban planning seems odd in that it looks almost like a village or island within the city as opposed to being an extension of the city. Of course it doesn't take into account the context just outside of the development, but then I guess the assumption is that the adjacent properties will be redeveloped once this thing gets done. Perhaps after that adjacent development happens then this part will feel more unified with the rest of the city. It is a shame that they can't sink 131. It is such a eyesore and just cuts a scar through the city.

Archived