Riverfront Property Proposal(s)?

tony speller

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't mind if we all "move on" as some would like to call it. I don't think we should stop discussing what could be done with this piece of property. Sure Mr. Faust is no longer a player in the eye of the City and to many to on this board, but there are other developers that might be interested in this property now. As the media keeps saying, "the city has other options they will pursue" or something along those lines. I wonder how long until another idea/develope is brought up. Closing the Faust segment, maybe, but to close the thought of developement on this property no.

just my two cents....

I agree. It should stay open.

I have a few ideas should the city not need $5M an acre in the spirit of public/private cooperation toward a truly Grand Riverfront Devlopment.

And I think many other developers do also.

I'd like us to keep the topic open to spark debate, discussion and encourage ideas.

So how about it? any ideas?

How would things have played out differently if whoever was originally behind this project had just gone public with their intentions after the business journal's story? I still don't understand why that didn't happen. What about this project needed to be kept a secret? The whole plan will never be a secret again if the concept is actually presented to another city.

All the greedy landowners would have skyrocketed their exectations in terms of price to the point that the project would have no longer been viable.

Who would want their real estate "in the way" of a billion dollar project wherein the developer HAD to buy it ? Everyone, that's who.

You make a great point-- BUT most of the options were not yet in place when the infamous TV interview occured (10,000 jobs and 1 billion investment) and to date I'm aware of only 3 that actually got signed-- Ronda tire, intersection, and the strip club). They were in discussion with a dozen others, myself included, at that time.

You make a great point-- BUT most of the options were not yet in place when the infamous TV interview occured (10,000 jobs and 1 billion investment) and to date I'm aware of only 3 that actually got signed-- Ronda tire, intersection, and the strip club). They were in discussion with a dozen others, myself included, at that time.

All the greedy landowners would have skyrocketed their exectations in terms of price to the point that the project would have no longer been viable.

Who would want their real estate "in the way" of a billion dollar project wherein the developer HAD to buy it ? Everyone, that's who.

I'm not sure where the scam angle is coming from. What would Faust have to gain by buying the large chunk of city property above market rates if he didn't actually have a plan? Sure, his plan went down in flames for a number of reasons, but that doesn't make it a scam.

Also, on that first rendering it looks like the portions across Market Ave were cut out. You can see a little corner of something by Wealthy and Market. I actually wonder if Faust drew those himself?

I just took a look at Faust's renderings myself. I can help but be disappointed at the quality of the renderings themselves, and what they depict. I do like the cable stay ped bridge connecting the island. But everything else seems like a med and rise rise iteration of Center Point Mall. Maybe my expectations of what a billion and a half to two billion dollars aught to produce are set too high. But I was expecting something allot more attention grabbing. After all buildings far bigger and grander have been build for far less than what Faust wants to invest. In fact I bet even Burg Dubai could be built for less than a billion dollars. In short, after all the controversy and soap operas, this is what Faust has to show for, a collection of lack luster renderings of lackluster buildings, then I'm lucky that I never had my hopes too elevated about the riverfront as now I want the city to reject the proposal and send Faust packing.

HA! To think I nearly fell for Faust's sales pitch several posts ago. So I'll note that little error as a knowledge bump and learn from it.

Anyway, now that I have washed my hands of this matter, I'm willing to wait how ever long it takes to get a serious and competent developer to build something that will put GR on the map.

Maybe my expectations of what a billion and a half to two billion dollars aught to produce are set too high. But I was expecting something allot more attention grabbing. After all buildings far bigger and grander have been build for far less than what Faust wants to invest. In fact I bet even Burg Dubai could be built for less than a billion dollars.

Does some of this look familiar?

http://www.tpgre.com/NBCUniversalUnveilsLo...oLosAngeles.htm

The NBC Universal plan would create 11,000 new jobs, Hotel, Restaurants, Retail, possible 3,000 seat entertainment venue, movie theater and housing. Click on the link above to read more about the news from 12/06/06. This just sounds like this could have been the River Grand project.

Archived