Gallery on Fulton

civitas

I am also impressed with that distortion. What camera are you using for these photos?

I don't think Nitro was complimenting the distortion; I didn't mean to distort the image but when I stitched several photos together it fit best like that. Certainly not a spectacular image but it's nice to see how the UICA building is fitting into the corner. I shoot with a Canon 40D.

I don't think Nitro was complimenting the distortion; I didn't mean to distort the image but when I stitched several photos together it fit best like that. Certainly not a spectacular image but it's nice to see how the UICA building is fitting into the corner. I shoot with a Canon 40D.

I was only asking so I could avoid whatever camera you were using like the plague. :)

You, or your software, did a pretty good stitch job because I can't even spot the seams. The exposure is very even as well. The distortion makes more sense when I know that it was stretched to fit by a program.

• 2 weeks later...

i'm surprised they put the parking garage section of the building on the corner of the main intersection.

As a non-GR-native, I'm not at all surprised.

Division/Fulton is only a "main" intersection if you look at the map and/or know how our SE/NE/SW/NW addressing system works.

IN terms of what's going on downtown, they faced the building toward the rest of downtown and where there's more foot traffic and "stuff" going on.

i'm surprised they put the parking garage section of the building on the corner of the main intersection.

I too think that the siting of the tower portion had a lot more to do with views to and from the building versus the importance of the intersections. The best views are to the northwest toward downtown; placing the apartments at the intersection of Commerce allows those views to follow along a street corridor rather than over the roof of the police station. On the flip side, the tower creates a commanding terminus for Louis St. whereas the building cannot have quite the same presence on the Division Corridor.

From street level, the location of the parking isn't going to make much difference. Pretty much the entire ground level will be glass with two storefronts on Division, the main circulation and one of the UICA galleries along Fulton, and some classroom space at the corner of Fulton and Commerce. The entrance to the parking garage is tucked out of the way on Commerce.

I can see where one would be tempted to initially place all of the building mass at along Division, but I think the final solution from the architect and developer was a thoughtful response to all of the different site conditions. (Plus I am crossing my fingers that the green facade for the parking deck is successful in significantly lessening the effect of the ramp on that corner.)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

With the cladding going onto the tower, I can't help but to be reminded of vinyl siding, or a pole-barn each time I look at this building.

yes, its too bad about the aluminum siding. I just had a look at John's April pics (thanks for those by the way, John), and I can only hope it ends up looking better when finished.

After looking at the pictures, I think the corrugated aluminum sheeting looks very appropriate on the building, especially with its squared-off, geometric pattern. Of course, I went to school in a building that was faced in nearly the same material and thought it gave just the right hi-tech, edgy look there too. This product is so much better than vinyl siding (for one, it doesn't have obnoxious vertical seams and doesn't fade and crack). Of course I haven't seen in it person yet, but my initial judgment is positive.

Now I'm curious to see what has been chosen to cover the lower surfaces.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Was driving by today and noticed that they are putting the cladding up on the lower levels on the Commerce/Fulton corner. Almost caused an accident with my gawking but the quick look I did get was pretty impressive. If anyone else has seen this, could you shed some light on the material they are using? Thanks. (I am continuing my love/hate relationship with this building. There are parts that leave me scratching my head, notably the "siding" used on the upper floors of the tower but there's tons more that point to this maybe becoming one of my favorite new buildings.)

Was driving by today and noticed that they are putting the cladding up on the lower levels on the Commerce/Fulton corner. Almost caused an accident with my gawking but the quick look I did get was pretty impressive. If anyone else has seen this, could you shed some light on the material they are using? Thanks.

I only have JohnE's photos to go by, but it looks like zinc. If so, the material will weather into a gradation of gray tones as it (gracefully) ages. As nice as it is, it's probably one of the least environmentally friendly of the metals with an energy intensive and toxic manufacturing process. on the positive side, I do believe it is still recyclable.

I'm waiting to see if some of the other forms on the lower floors will get different materials. I could see copper or cor-ten (pre-rusted) steel going on the section that angles out over Fulton for a little contrast.

I really like to idea of having a pocket park at that location. Nice spot for the police to take breaks at also.

~John

...With a gigantic fountain. Let's rally donors!tough.gif It'd be a fine centerpiece for our downtown nightlife. Perfect meeting place for a night on the town after a hockey game. I like it.thumbsup.gif

On the other hand, I'm not convinced we couldn't put a building there... They squeezed a fairly sizable building on that triangular block once a long time ago, didn't they? I feel like I've seen it in an old photo somewhere...

Edited by RegalTDP

Hinman owns this lot and has "hypothetical" drawings (based on a building in Troy) of a rather tall building on that lot. I agree, develop it, it would really tie the together north to south (along with a nice building on the old Michigan National Bank 2-story parking ramp).

Joe

I think it'd be better for a building. There are two parks not more than 200 yards away to the East.

Weston Apartments has 190 units and we now have The Gallery and 38 across the street. A park would be great for the URBAN RESIDENTS. A park would fit that location a lot better than a tall building. Vetrans Park is across Division and it is a sad memorial place. How about a nice green space for the growing neighborhood. The park would also be nice for people walking to events and activities downtown.

There are things that money can not buy. It is a shame that so much in life is about the love of money.

~John