Gallery on Fulton

civitas

• 4 weeks later...

It's interesting seeing the bones start to take shape around the UICA theater spaces. Don't forget to add 7 floors of apartments onto that. :fun:

Gallery on Fulton provides a great anchor for a pretty humdrum street (Louis). Too many parking lots, parking ramps and underused buildings (50 Louis and 45 Ottawa).

3968181145_b938826e79_b.jpg

3968955326_656554351f_b.jpg

6340_117777107510_117769737510_2891834_7918685_n.jpg

Just keep in mind, all of those locations listed about are in more temperate climates. Green screens in our climate are still very much a experimental application...

Yeah, Paris is the closest.

If you take this comparison, http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=paris...+mi+temperature

and extend the history out to five years, you can see that the avg daily mean temperatures track pretty closely, except in the coldest three months of the year, when they are cold, but we are colder.

It would be cool if they could work out something that would attract attention the way the one in Paris obviously does. If the building itself were an attraction, it could only help the foot traffic by the UICA and for the retailers in the spots on Division.

Just keep in mind, all of those locations listed about are in more temperate climates. Green screens in our climate are still very much a experimental application...

Maybe not so much the choice of fauna, but the way it is installed (create some kind of design).

Check out these fabulous green walls. I hope the Gallery's wall has a landscape architect working on it (and not a repeat of Cathedral Square's parking ramp):

Caixa Forum, Madrid

_mg_3321.jpg

I may be in the minority, but I think this example is one of the most awful looking buildings I have ever seen. It looks like it should be dynamited to make room for something that isn't abandoned and overgrown.

I may be in the minority, but I think this example is one of the most awful looking buildings I have ever seen. It looks like it should be dynamited to make room for something that isn't abandoned and overgrown.

Focus wingbert, focus. :) I'm not talking about the building, I'm talking about the green wall, and that it has some semblance of design to it (and not just vines growing on a trellis). Just looking for something that's not the same ol orthodox Grand Rapids.

Maybe get some ideas from 2 E. Fulton (ArtPrize entry).

I appreciate what Project Propegate is doing at 2EF but I would be against a "fake" green wall as a permanent facade for a building. Even the Catholic Central parking garage (which I had the pleasure of checking out at the ArtPrize top-10 announcement) would be better than that (in my opinion).

I'm remaining positive about how it'll pan out with the new UICA.

Question (about the UICA): Does anyone know what their new square footage will be for gallery space as compared to their existing facility?

I read today that they have had 55,000 visitors during ArtPrize. A typical year (before AP) was only 50,000 visitors.... so clearly ArtPrize has had a great net effect on their attendance for 2009.

From the Gallery on Fulton Facebook page:

"The Gallery 7th Floor was poured yesterday. On to the 8th! I'll get some photos of the views from 7 tomorrow or Monday. So look for the photos then."

I'm interested to see those photos.

Edit: The photos from the 6th floor, the bottom floor of apts. are already up: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=1276...id=117769737510

Edited by fotoman311

Focus wingbert, focus. :) I'm not talking about the building, I'm talking about the green wall, and that it has some semblance of design to it (and not just vines growing on a trellis). Just looking for something that's not the same ol orthodox Grand Rapids.

I hear ya. It's all in the execution.

Outfield walls at Wrigley Field = :good: The building in that picture = :sick:

• 2 weeks later...

They seem to be running a second shift of late. Several times this week I've gone by at, oh, 9 pm or later, and hard-hatted elves are still out moving trucks, in a cage suspended from the crane, creating sparks and dust and noise.

ETA: Painted advert fans, you'll still be able to appreciate the sewing machine & Coke ads on the Alten building.

altenads.jpg

Edited by Veloise

Tower crane fans, you might want to take a look today. Fulton was closed beginning Friday night (might be still), and the crew used that space to assemble a crane. I got to enjoy the progress on three passes through yesterday.

(There's no such thing as a road closed to bicyclists.)