COMPLETE: The Old Public Safety Surface Lot

• Replies 917
  • Created
  • Last Reply

DRC approved preliminary demolition. TPG has to go through further design review on the (new*) proposal then get a building permit before they can get a final demo permit and actual proceed with demolition.

*Yes, the showed an entirely new building, Mickey you don't have to worry about your shorts this time, it's shorter.

I was sitting in the front row - I felt the new [concept] building looked good but the parking retail section ( 6 floors? ) needed alot of work. I also felt the comments from the foxpoint neighborhood group where beyond stupid. They stated we should save the police station as is and never develop it- period. What? How in hell is saving that building better than a 22 floor building and hundreds of new jobs. Did I miss something or is providence a city? If we cant build something on a old police station from the 50's filled with crackheads then I am missing something big.

Right - it must becasue the new jobs and people who will move to the area will hurt the foxpoint neighborhood.

Downcity Design Review Committee Meeting

December 11, 2006

400 Westminster Street

197 Fountain Street {sodEmoji.{sodEmoji.|}} Old Public Safety Building

Proposal from preliminary approval for demolition

Thom Deller {sodEmoji.{sodEmoji.|}} Providence Planning Department

Previous demo process was to get full approval for new structure before a demo permit could be issued. This was challenged in court (by Pavalino I believe) and now you can get preliminary approval based on a conceptual plan then refine you plan, get building permit, then get demo permit.

Question, what exactly is the definition of "conceptual design?"

Full design, approvals, related public hearings, and building permit needed before actual demo permit will be issued.

Tom Niles {sodEmoji.{sodEmoji.|}} TPG

Considered re-use to incorporate old facade.

Determined rehabilitation was not feasible because of the condition of the building and the actual structure of the building and how it does not interact well with the street, limited entrances...

Activation of the streetwall is a better public benefit than attempting to keep the building and maintain a streetwall that is less active.

TPG has history of historic renovation (listed examples in the region) and is commited to Providence and the Providence asthetic.

The new building will establish a new edge on Broadway.

Facade component from the old building will be preserved and used inside the new building.

New building allows light and activity to flow from the street to the interior and vice-versa.

The building become permeable.

Duncan Pendlebury {sodEmoji.{sodEmoji.|}} Jung Brannen Architects

Completely new design.

350,000 square feet

180 feet tall (didn't say how many floors) (YMCA/Crossroads is 190 feet, Brown Library is 180 feet)

Lowrise at Fountain Street is 60 feet

Architect has been working with various developers for the last 20 years on proposals for this site.

Lowrise at Fountain Street similar height to the library, architect used the term "mercantile height" as in this is the average height of older buildings in the city.

Articulated streetwall on LaSalle side. Lowrise is in line with the library, highrise steps back a bit and there is a step back at about 60 feet from there.

Speculative office space.

Looking to maximize the groundfloor retail space.

Lowrise on Fountain allows light to reach back toward the Regency Buildings and go the other way into LaSalle Square.

Parking entrance at Fountain and Greene

Between the lowrise and the highrise will be a "foodcourt." Possible recycling of interesting facade materials from the old structure will be in this area. Foodcourt allows for a public space that runs through the building allow for access from Greene @ Broadway to Empire @ Fountain. Foodcourt appears to have a glass roof.

The current wide space on the LaSalle Square side will be kept reimagined as a public plaza and outdoor dining area on the square.

A roof garden will sit above the lowrise portion.

440-ish parking spaces.

2 levels of below grade parking, parking below grade will be across the entire parcel.

More parking above lowrise section.

No parking in higrise section, allows for offices to run right down to the second floor so the building will be animated from top to bottom on the Broadway and LaSalle Square sides.

Parking entrance will be at Greene and Fountain.

New building is wider than it is tall (as seen from Broadway), facade will have elements of glass that will break it into three vertical looking parts. Windows oriented as a vertical rectangle to enhance height.

Covered arcade on the Broadway side (and maybe the Fountain Street side) similar to the Westin.

Facade material will be a limestone like material (similar to the material on the Westin) which will mimic the look of the old building's facade. Glass was rendered in blue.

Office lobby likely mid-block on Broadway (basically at the end of Atwells) could be on the corner of Broadway and Empire.

Angled roof structure of metal mesh will cover mechanicals on the roof.

After much discussion and looking at the rules, the request was approved for preliminary demolition. DRC may schedule another public hearing since this is basically a new building (not basically, totally). In any event, there will be more public hearings to allow discuss and reach final approval on the design.

The building will not be demolished until the new design is approved and a building permit issued.

They announced building as 22 floors plus the proposal for approval was as follows:

The proposal by PRI XIV, L.P. to demolish the former police and fire department building at LaSalle Square and to construct a new 22-story mixed-use building with internal parking garage.

I meant to say 88 dedicated for retail.

I also want to note that the 100 North Main Street – Elizabeth Building looked like a nice project. ( Across from Mills Tavern ) ( also at the meeting )

" 1. DRC Application No. 06.21: 100 North Main Street – Elizabeth Building. Remove existing precast stone panel facade and install new wood and glass storefront on the 1st floor of the North Main Street elevation. "

They are also gutting the entire inside of the building ( all floors )

see this is the stuff that pisses me off. Who determines these things? Some impartial engineer? or something hired by the developer. Frankly the city should send someone in to determine that the building is not salvageable.

Are the folks testifying before the DRC sworn to oath? I'd like to see more oath swearing in ALL the commissions. I think developers lie sometimes.

the 2 levels of parking could equate to 20-25 feet in reduction and i wonder if the rest of the height could have been something like that fin and maybe a reduction of a floor or 2 or possibly less parking overall?

Unrelated to this meeting but as many of you have guessed Blue Cross indeed has been approached as a major anchor to the building. From what I understand a parking issue is one of a few problems for them. ( security due to the nature of what Blue Cross is -The problem had to do with the garage being dived into sections and not private etc. I don't know what changed with this redesign.

Also if BlueCross does not make this building work they will likely move out of downtown. ( but perhaps keep a small customer service space for people dropping off bills asking questions etc )

Another note - Chafee of Rhode Island is on the DailyShow tonight at 11.

Know what though? Even with the height reduction, E@B will look plenty big on that site, which is a pretty prominent site. And the city is pretty short in that area in the first place, which will also help E@B look bigger than it is.

I guess I'm not so much worried about the height. If it looks good and functions well, I'll be happy.

But the biggest thing I'm taking away here is the fact that TPG clearly had renders at the proceedings, and nobody got pictures! :angry:

Archived