Downtown Grand Rapids Branding Campaign

GR_Urbanist

Bitter? :huh::blink:

I love these out of the blue "XYZ SUCKS!" comments that have been appearing all over lately... so productive, insightful and helpful.

See my post about this in the Watering Hole.

On topic, I'd Like to see a poll of downtown buisness owners who are either supportive or not supportive of the efforts made be the campaign.

Hanon was good enough at sales to get a ton of money from the Downtown Alliance (!)

To me, the heat should be on the Alliance to show tangible results to justify the hype.

Crappy ads can build buzz in a backwards kind of way, but in this case it needs to put people downtown, not become a cocktail party joke.

Grand Rapids: Apply Directly to the Forehead

Head On! :rofl:

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wonder how many people have even heard these slogans at all. I'll do a poll at work tomorrow, and the day after that at a different store, and also tomorrow night when I'll be at a LAN Center downtown.

When "KIAS" came out, I happened to be at a location where DT graphics are created. Personnel was busy creating the Psycho Olive Dynamic Device.

By coincidence, yesterday I was at the same location. No "EIN" graphix in site.

(And nothing in the window at Olive Express, either.)

[

Among other things, plans call for special treatments for eight gateways into the city, a pedestrian friendly environment throughout the downtown area, an urban garden, and a streetscape that supports a vide variety of uses, such as office, retail and entertainment. There would also be emphasis on downtown as a place to showcase public arts.

Anyone know how this will be implemented and the timeline? Sounds good to me.

Kalamazoo did a gateway project and I believe that Holland has one on the drawing board. I like the idea.

I'm so confused..

Among other things, plans call for special treatments for eight gateways into the city, a pedestrian friendly environment throughout the downtown area, an urban garden, and a streetscape that supports a vide variety of uses, such as office, retail and entertainment. There would also be emphasis on downtown as a place to showcase public arts.

Anyone know how this will be implemented and the timeline? Sounds good to me.

Jeff, you might want to start/continue monitoring the DDA agendas.

• 2 months later...

The Community Media Center was chosen to build the website for this thing. We recently completed it...check it out:

http://downtowngr.org/

Welcome to the discussion winjer!

The website looks really good! Lots of good information and great pictures! Well done!

My only complaint (and I know you had nothing to do with this) is the "Keep it a secret" idea.

"Keep it a secret.....Because someday everyone will know that there's only one place in the region to find five-star dining, opera, professional sports and much more.....Enjoy it now, while it's still our little secret."

We're supposed to NOT tell people about it?!? Do they want the "five-star dining, opera, professional sports and much more" to suffer because no one knows they are there?!?

Maybe I'm just missing something? :dontknow:

The website looks really good! Lots of good information and great pictures! Well done!

My only complaint (and I know you had nothing to do with this) is the "Keep it a secret" idea.

"Keep it a secret.....Because someday everyone will know that there's only one place in the region to find five-star dining, opera, professional sports and much more.....Enjoy it now, while it's still our little secret."

We're supposed to NOT tell people about it?!? Do they want the "five-star dining, opera, professional sports and much more" to suffer because no one knows they are there?!?

I think this whole "keep it a secret" is meant for city folks and those that are already downtown. This is a phased project. I don't actually think that "keep it a secret" is an advertising slogan for those outside of the general area or you to take the slogan as gospel. More or less this is just a phase to rile up the locals, piss them off that their secret will be out soon. Maybe I'm wrong... :dontknow:

I think this whole "keep it a secret" is meant for city folks and those that are already downtown. This is a phased project. I don't actually think that "keep it a secret" is an advertising slogan for those outside of the general area or you to take the slogan as gospel.

Well, I can tell you this. There is a "Keep it a Secret" billboard on the corner of 4 Mile and Plainfield above Fred's Pizza.

Frankly, it's a stupid billboard. It has the pyschadellic olive logo and text that says something about in time everyone will know about it. The keep it a secret text is about 3" high shoved over to one side, you can barely see it. Someone needs a lesson in creating billboard text.

Well, I can tell you this. There is a "Keep it a Secret" billboard on the corner of 4 Mile and Plainfield above Fred's Pizza.

Frankly, it's a stupid billboard. It has the pyschadellic olive logo and text that says something about in time everyone will know about it. The keep it a secret text is about 3" high shoved over to one side, you can barely see it. Someone needs a lesson in creating billboard text.

There is (or was) one of these billboards along SB 131 around Hall..seemed kinda strange to me.

I agree completely.

Great website, not so great slogan.

Archived