Downtown Grand Rapids Branding Campaign

GR_Urbanist

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it's a case of reverse psychology. Tell someone to keep a secret and they want to share it.

Here in Schaumburg I've met some Michiganders (I work along side a couple too.) GR is so secret I had to use the "hand show" to locate where it is for them. I can say with confidence that the secret is being kept.

Here in Schaumburg I've met some Michiganders (I work along side a couple too.) GR is so secret I had to use the "hand show" to locate where it is for them. I can say with confidence that the secret is being kept.

If Michiganians don't know where GR is we have an entirely different problem. It's the 2nd biggest city in the state!

How many people from Wisconsin cannot locate Madison on the map?

Minnesotans can all locate Rochester (at least the ones I know) and that might not even be the 2nd biggest city in their state.

Heck, I've never met anyone from Pennsylvania that couldn't locate Pittsburg. Same deal there.

I think Americans in general are either uninterested or poorly educated in geography. I'm no longer offended when people here in Florida have little or no knowledge of GR (I'm trying to educate them though)

Thats kind of like asking someone in Michigan if they know where Tallahassee is, or Pensacola.

• 1 month later...

Just saw a billboard go up promoting the marketing strategy. Looks nice but do we need to promote it to people already living in the city. Billboards of this nature might be better suited for all of the highways in the suburban areas to draw them in for dining or recreation or just to move back to the city and fill in some gaps.

• 4 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 2 months later...

The site is updated now. They did a significant improvement on the graphics, but it looks like all that changed was the presentation.

Logo needs to go. An effective logo can be created simply with an original typeface. It would be best that way as it can be easily incorporated into FUTURE projects. I'll use this current logo and the new site as an example.

The site is updated now. They did a significant improvement on the graphics, but it looks like all that changed was the presentation.

Logo needs to go. An effective logo can be created simply with an original typeface. It would be best that way as it can be easily incorporated into FUTURE projects. I'll use this current logo and the new site as an example.

I get the impression someone designed that on a Mac and didn't test it on a variety of other platforms/browsers. In my Firefox window (PC) the left hand navigation is outside the browser window with no way to scroll over to it. I can see about half of each "button". Odd.

I don't know about anyone else but for me the site is so WIDE and it is not designed with a fixed width that I feel sorry for anyone with less than a 19 inch widescreen monitor - I have a 22 inch widescreen and it just fits the whole window.

But I use firefox on pc too and it's fine - you just gotta expand the crap out of it.

I haven't tested it with my mac yet.

It looks fine on my computer using Firefox. The width of the main area of the site is approx. 1140 pixels, so if the horizontal value (the first number) of your display resolution is higher than this you should be OK. It seems like the site was designed for a resolution of 1280x1024, which may not be the best plan since many people are probably still using lower resolutions on smaller monitors (such as 1024x768).

Something I noticed about the new site is that, although the ugly logo is still there, there is no mention of "Keep It A Secret" (at least not that I could find). It looks like their new slogan is a simpler "let's go. downtown." :thumbsup:

Evoy said there is hesitance to dump the olive since it represents a "brand identity" for downtown that is separate from the "Let's Go" marketing campaign.

Translation: We spent $80,000 on that stupid olive and we're determined to get as much use out of it as possible.

It's a sunk cost. Get over it and get rid of it.

Archived