Downtown Grand Rapids Branding Campaign

GR_Urbanist

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sure, I think that is a fantastic idea. What type of economic data could they use as a baseline? I don't really know how one would accurately measure the specific impact in the way you're suggesting. I'm clearly not an economist.

I doubt a "survey" or feedback form by DID businesses would be all that useful or very accurate for that matter.

That should have been the first question the Alliance asked of HM: "How will we know it worked?"

If they didn't, we have a larger problem.

This just in....

GRAND RAPIDS

April 28th, 2006

In an apparent attempt to circumvent downtown Grand Rapids' new ad campaign "Keep it a Secret", a user on an internet "chat room" by the name of GRDadof3 let leak that there is a bookstore in downtown Grand Rapids. City officials scurried at the blatant "leak" and have had to fasttrack to the second LAYER :thumbsup: of the campaign, with new playbills being dropped via Chopper 8 this evening:

http://static.flickr.com/50/136558208_de8e8e5e65.jpg

"We certainly don't want more people down here who don't know how to parallel park" stated an un-named business owner. "Besides, where will Rick & Scott park?".

We'll have more at 11:00.

I agree. Instead of telling us to "Keep it a Secret' we should 'Shout it from the rooftops'. It's just plain dopey even if it does evolve into a multi-faceted campaign. I think it wil die a quick death. $82k, cha-ching. Thank you, have a nice day!

Joe

If we're trying to encourage the rebirth of our downtown by incentivizing investors and developers to renovate buildings (which need rent paying tenants to be viable) why would we send the message that we want that kept 'secret.' ??

Spent the day downtown. Went to the Egypt exhibit then walked to Olive Express and Four friends. Don't worry, I kept it a secret. While paying for my food at Olive Express a poster caught my eye. I have to admit, the new posters are eye catching and actually looked nice. I think the circles will look nice hanging on lamposts, etc as someone mentioned earlier.

The slogan though just doesn't make sense. If they wanted to run with the "sectet" theme GRDad's "The secret's out" makes so much more sense.

Just wanted to mention that the poster did actually look pretty cool hanging in a store.

Spent the day downtown. Went to the Egypt exhibit then walked to Olive Express and Four friends. Don't worry, I kept it a secret. While paying for my food at Olive Express a poster caught my eye. I have to admit, the new posters are eye catching and actually looked nice. I think the circles will look nice hanging on lamposts, etc as someone mentioned earlier.

The slogan though just doesn't make sense. If they wanted to run with the "sectet" theme GRDad's "The secret's out" makes so much more sense.

Just wanted to mention that the poster did actually look pretty cool hanging in a store.

Sam's gotten open on Saturday!?!? Yee-haw!!

homer-simpson.jpg

• 4 months later...

New slogan:

Enjoy it now

Downtown's 'secret' comes out

Sponsors said the newest wording and artwork is not in response to negative reaction to the campaign's April kickoff, where the tongue-in-cheek "Keep it a secret" and its $82,000 budget was questioned

...bashed, ridiculed, kicked to the curb, taunted, belittled, spoofed, satirized...

I hope the next phase is "Downtown Grand Rapids, if it feels good do it "

Can someone tell me if this firm is operated by Elmo and friends or the Lansing Downtown commission?

Enjoy it now has to be the second stupidest thing I have heard or a branding campaign. (the secret being the first) They would have better success if they hired GVSU

Can someone tell me if this firm is operated by Elmo and friends or the Lansing Downtown commission?

Enjoy it now has to be the second stupidest thing I have heard or a branding campaign. (the secret being the first) They would have better success if they hired GVSU

Archived