Chandeliers Art Project

dmccall

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Those pedestals proposed by the city employee sound ridiculous. Talk about tacky. How about ads for the Nascar Hall of Fame.

Yeah, pedestals with rotating artwork sounds worse. You never know what would be placed atop these. Then you will really have some outspoken individuals. Yeah, maybe an advertisment for the Factory Outlets, a statue of Ava Gardner or a pig on a spit to appease all of those folks in Smithfield who dislike the chandelier proposals so much :unsure: .

The big question is what will happen with the lighting-will you have a faux retro gas crap lamps shoved on a corner with these pedestals? I really thought we had the biggest idiots in local government in Chapel Hill but Raleigh sounds even worse.

The big question is what will happen with the lighting-will you have a faux retro gas crap lamps shoved on a corner with these pedestals? I really thought we had the biggest idiots in local government in Chapel Hill but Raleigh sounds even worse.

They could always carry the theme from the Plensa Plaza down Fayetteville Street. Maybe just beams of light shooting up out of each pedestal? :P

"The more things change; the more they stay the same" Everytime Raleigh takes a couple of steps forward they inevitably take a step back.

I liked the thought of adding the chandeliers, I work on Fayetteville Street and I think it would have added more "Substance" to the street. But I am not suprised that the city. (Or should I say naysayers stuck this project down) Hopefully Plensa's Idea at the end of Fayetteville Street will still fly.

Y'all, I have some MAJOR issues with the process that was trampled here.

* Discussion was NOT on the agenda for Tuesday. The Arts Commission had no knowledge of any discussion that would take place about the chandeliers.

* The paper says the Mayor is worried about the vista being obscured???? :shok: At THIS stage in the game? Was there any mention of the TREES that will be larger than the chandeliers? Was there any discussion of moving them back from the street farther or shortening them? No! Not to mention the mayor's confidence that Plensa's design will sail through. Aren't there bigger vista concerns with that project?

* This facet of the project has been on the drawing board for 2 years. Don't you think that vista concerns were addressed during the whole process of securing an artist and private funding???

* If they are too tacky for F St., why aren't they too tacky for City Market? It seems like we want F St to be a gathering place for people having fun, right? Isn't that exactly the aim of all of the efforts and taxpayer money that have gone into City Market?

* Cork Marcheschi said it all. "I've done close to 40 pieces and it's the only one that's ever had this kind of strange trip." The paper said "his work has never stirred up the kind of rebuke he received in Raleigh. This is a MAJOR black eye on Raleigh, folks. But it isn't the first. We have a HORRIBLE reputation for being hard to work with and having unsuppored, inconsistent conclusions made in City Hall.

And all along I thought this Council was different... :angry: This whole thing, the dream of Fayetteville st. - is playing out JUST like the other projects that failed under the City's direction; full of short-sighted overly cautious compromises. Meanwhile Glenwood South is racking it up, so long as the city doesn't try to do too much there, too.

* Discussion was NOT on the agenda for Tuesday. The Arts Commission had no knowledge of any discussion that would take place about the chandeliers.

And all along I thought this Council was different... :angry: This whole thing, the dream of Fayetteville st. - is playing out JUST like the other projects that failed under the City's direction; full of short-sighted overly cautious compromises. Meanwhile Glenwood South is racking it up, so long as the city doesn't try to do too much their, too.

I read the agenda yesterday and did not see any mention of this either. I am shocked that they discussed it yesterday. I fear that Fayetteville Street will fall short of its full potential too. It could end up being just another street in downtown. There has been a great deal of comprimise on the city's part thus far. The entire Marriott debacle and now the chandeliers. The vista obstruction argument is a red herring. They are opposed to it for some other reason. I agree, why is it ok for city market but not Fayetteville Street? Really odd...

* The paper says the Mayor is worried about the vista being obscured???? :shok: At THIS stage in the game? Was there any mention of the TREES that will be larger than the chandeliers? Was there any discussion of moving them back from the street farther or shortening them? No! Not to mention the mayor's confidence that Plensa's design will sail through. Aren't there bigger vista concerns with that project?

* This facet of the project has been on the drawing board for 2 years. Don't you think that vista concerns were addressed during the whole process of securing an artist and private funding???

* If they are too tacky for F St., why aren't they too tacky for City Market? It seems like we want F St to be a gathering place for people having fun, right? Isn't that exactly the aim of all of the efforts and taxpayer money that have gone into City Market?

* Cork Marcheschi said it all. "I've done close to 40 pieces and it's the only one that's ever had this kind of strange trip." The paper said "his work has never stirred up the kind of rebuke he received in Raleigh. This is a MAJOR black eye on Raleigh, folks. But it isn't the first. We have a HORRIBLE reputation for being hard to work with and having unsuppored, inconsistent conclusions made in City Hall.

And all along I thought this Council was different... :angry: This whole thing, the dream of Fayetteville st. - is playing out JUST like the other projects that failed under the City's direction; full of short-sighted overly cautious compromises. Meanwhile Glenwood South is racking it up, so long as the city doesn't try to do too much there, too.

A-Freakin' men. Process? In Raleigh? Glen-Tree. 1 Week from coming out of secret to City Council approval. Not on the agenda? Make a major decision about Fayetteville Street.

Process in Raleigh is a BIG, FAT, JOKE.

:angry:

I don't even know where to begin but I might as well not because everyone else has already said what a terrible decision this was.

I especially feel bad for the artist, Cork Marcheschi, as I feel he was really not given proper treatment by the City Council and neither was his design.

I e-mailed Mr. Marcheschi to let him know how sorry I am, as a Raleigh Resident, about what happened and that I won't be able to enjoy his art.

I got a reply back to my e-mail today from Cork Marcheshi himself:

Thank you both very much for your notes. I knew this was coming for

several months and had actually wanted to withdraw from the project

but LDDK studios didn't want me to make waves.

So I am not surprised. I can honestly say Raleigh has more fear about

art than any place I have worked in 40 years. It is a sad testament

to the city when people become frightened of a little color and light!

Thanks again for your support-Cork

This whole situation makes me so mad. I hope everyone enjoys the grey whatever it is they get at the corners. blegh

And another thing, I want that 90 year old bitty from Smithfield at the opening of Fayetteville Street too. She better be the freakin grand marshal since her opinions carry so much weight.

Ever since that e-mail I'm more embarrassed than sad or mad. That's pretty messed up when you're actually EMBARRASSED by where you live because of something like this. His e-mail hit the nail on the head: "It is a sad testament

to the city when people become frightened of a little color and light!"

Indeed. INDEED! It is a sad testament! I'm embarrassed by this fact about our city. By the fact we're outsourcing opinions from some old woman in SMITHFIELD. By the fact that we've developed this embarrassing reputation -- it's a reputation of fear of change, anti-art, and being so difficult to deal with.

Who the hell will want to deal with us with this reputation? Especially artists.

This reputation would scare me off. I can tell you that if I was looking at two possible places of building something or designing some sort of art and I heard about Raleigh's reputation that would probably be the deciding factor in making me pick the other place.

IDIOTS! ALL OF THEM!

How the hell are we gonna have this "Raleigh Renaissance" if we can't get out of the damn 19th century!?

It's almost turned into a joke.

I'm upset with the process by which these lamps were rejected....

But, regarding all the comments about Raleigh being backwoods and afraid of progressive artwork... come on! Let's stop patting ourselves on the back for being forward thinkers and step back to take another look at this proposal.

These chandeliers looked like something Liberace would have around his bath house. They are neither progressive or modern.... they are campy and would have looked like something that was built in the 1980's that we never bothered to take down or replace.

I'm as embarassed as anyone that they quoted an old lady from Smithfield regarding urban artwork. And, I would love to see something on Fay St that that is edgy and modern.

I think if Plensa's project moves forward, then I don't think we will gain a reputation for being backward thinkers holding onto the past. They still need to aggressively pursue an alternative to the chandeliers to put on the pedestals. It is not likely that the city council will reject a second proposal.

I think if Plensa's project moves forward, then I don't think we will gain a reputation for being backward thinkers holding onto the past. They still need to aggressively pursue an alternative to the chandeliers to put on the pedestals. It is not likely that the city council will reject a second proposal.

If/when it does get approved, get ready to hear all the Aunt Bee's b%^$* about it. They are the ones who let downtown falter, anyway! I imagine myself wanting to have this conversation:

"When is the last time you spent more than $50 downtown - OUTSIDE of the City Club and Memorial Auditorium?" "Then shut up!"

If/when it does get approved, get ready to hear all the Aunt Bee's b%^$* about it. They are the ones who let downtown falter, anyway! I imagine myself wanting to have this conversation:

"When is the last time you spent more than $50 downtown - OUTSIDE of the City Club and Memorial Auditorium?" "Then shut up!"

I hear your frustration. Last time I was downtown was for dinner a couple weeks ago and dropped close to $80. Downtown definitely gets my financial support on a pretty regular basis :) I'm glad to see that others share in my frustration that the people who very seldom downtown can have such a large voice in its new direction.

Wow! This all sounds very Mayberrish as everyone has clearly stated. A little bit of Vegas never hurt anybody....oops, maybe the wallet. From those renderings, it was difficult to imagine how they would really look in place. I think higher quality renderings would have served for better persuasion material (I didn't have a problem with them).

What is the Plensa project? Is there a there a thread out there?

It's time RDU let Smithfield be Smithfield....and whatever happens in Smithfield can gladly stay in Smithfield!

If they rejected something as simple as the chandeliers do you really think they'll approve something as complex, large and progressive as Plensa's design?

I now have serious doubts.

So funny, so true. Maybe if Smithfield gets lucky and somebody decides to build a new Bojangles there, we should all go down and critique the site plans as not being "old-timey enough."

Archived