Chandeliers Art Project

dmccall

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Check out the Time + Light tower to get a sense of how the light will look....I think they will add more of an industrial edge and work well with RTP's technology leader posture, not to mention that they will look cool with Memorial Auditorium in the background...which itself mixes classical architecture with some funky green glass.

Ha Ha !!! I just caught the "Rock & Roll Blvd" comment !!!!! I actually got a letter to the editor published in the N&O about renaming it Rock N Roll Blvd way back then. Must have been late 1980's or very early 1990s. I now live near there and still think about if they had made the name change.

Were you forit or aginit? I just KNEW RDU would leave that building one day.

i can't believe the NandO quoted that old man who spoke at the arts council meeting. 'functional schizophrenia'... whatever. the artists were pretty clear that these are not street lights, so I don't know what is schizophrenic about them. besides, that guy had his whole spiel written BEFORE the artists even presented anything... how you can be against something you know very little about is beyond me...

• 1 month later...

I know that makes you mad Avery...but I personally didn't care for them. The Buildings DT are too Blah at this point and till we get more color DT don't think they would have been a good fit. And I don't think that using these as the color starter DT would have worked either. I didn't mind the style and shape ...it was just too much color.

There are two things that make me REALLY irritated about this:

1) The purpose of the project was to put decorative lighting at the street corners as part of the Fayetteville renaissance plan. NOT TO PUT THEM SOMEWHERE ELSE. I REALLY don't think that the City Council has been paying attention to this project AT ALL. They showed up unprepared at the last meeting and today they seem to have lost the entire point of the project. If you don't like THESE chandeliers, lets design some that more people like, not find an alt location. ARRRGGGHH

2) Perhaps the City Council was unprepared is that this item WAS NOT ON TODAY'S AGENDA. If it had been I would have watched the meeting. Today's agenda was boring so I didn't bother. Unreal. I'm going to have to start recording every meeting just in case someone sneeks a 100-story surprise building on Oberlin through! :angry:

Those chandeliers most likely will not go anywhere. It was private money so I'm sure the donors don't want to pay for something tucked away somewhere. Now the city will have to suck up the cost I would imagine. What a bunch of idiots.

The reason I wanted to see the chandeliers put up was that I thought they would fulfill their intended purpose well. From my understanding, they were intended to be put up at the four corners of the Fayetteville Street intersections, so people would know they were crossing the big street downtown... the place where the action is, so to speak. I also thought the dichroic glass, in it's varying colors and multiple angles added some brightness and life to Fayetteville Street, as well as a modern edge, which would help buck the idea so many people have that the downtown core is a dead, dried up forgotten place. I thought they would kind of give the impression that Raleigh is on the move, thinking about the future more than the past, and is a city not afraid to take risks. I love Raleigh, truly, but I am beginning to think that the previous sentence simply does not describe the city I call home, and maybe never will. I want so badly for this town to live up to its true potential, and in the past year or so, I really felt it might... I realize that the thousands of people that live here probably like Raleigh just fine the way it is, and I guess I do too to a point, but it certainly was exciting to think that things here were changing, and so much more for the better (IMO). I realize that this project was not the be-all/end-all of downtown's revival, and that it is might just be that something even better is just around the corner, but given how this whole thing was handled, I am not feeling too optimistic about the city square project (atleast as it was proposed) either. More likely we will see something much more tame, predictable, safe... much more Raleigh. And so be it... I guess this is just the city I call home. I still like it here, I am just disappointed.

Artist's renderings of the defeated chandeliers are at Raleighing along with my scathing comments about today's process and absurd idea to stick a few in City Market. (If they are tacky, they are tacky. If they are festive and will bring CM to life, WTF is wrong with putting them on Fayetteville St???)

For those Plensa Pessimists out there, don't forget my note about the Times Bar. Reread if carefully if you don't remember what I'm getting at. IOW, today was not a shock.

Downtown Raleigh needs something different...New office/condo towers are cool, but when you walking by they only provide shade. Raleigh could use some street-level excitement. At least something interesting to stimulate the mind. The Plensa (sp?) project will probably fail too.

It would be nice for Durham to implement the project on the Bullevard (Corcoran/Foster St.). The Bullevard is envisioned to be the connector between the old ballpark and the new park with several arts and cultural centers along the way (New Perfoming Arts Center, Civic Center, Central Park Ampitheatre, DAP Multi-use Center, Arts Council, and various galleries in between). Maybe Mr. Goodman, Struever Bros., Duke and Suntrust would be willing to pick up the $2 Million tag.

Archived