Traffic Enforcement Cameras

Cotuit

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Also, what kind of contract does the city have with the manufacturer? In some places (e.g., Scottsdale, AZ), the company that makes the cameras gets most of the money. It's basically an operation that has nothing to do with traffic safety or law enforcement -- it's like a private tollbooth.

Is that what they're doing here?

Urb

the old man comes from VA and he says that red light tickets were very handily dismissed if you just said that you weren't driving...Not sure how it worked exactly, but it worked for him...

there are certainly a lot of legal info out there on these systems...here's one such article from two years ago that i ran across...

http://www.newsreview.com/sacramento/Content?oid=oid%3A32471

that's the way a lot of people have fought the tickets--by saying that unless there is a clear picture of the DRIVER, how can you charge the owner of the car with breaking the law, if there's no proof the owner of the car was in the car?

at least that's how they play in VA

The picture of driver thing might be why they are not issuing them as moving violations. If the citation is against the car, when you get your ticket you just tell your buddy "hey buck-o don't run red lights when you borrow my car. Now pay up!" In this way it's like a parking ticket, which gets attached to the car, not the driver.

In a related story, when my cousin went to Brown he ended up needing a car for half of his freshman year. (He had football related injuries and needed to go to physical therapy up in Boston for whatever reason.) So he had my aunt's car and just threw away all of his parking tickets. So it comes around to the summer and he decides to stay in Providence and my aunt is going to give him the car. She goes to the registry to transfer the info (she lives in CT), and they tell her that she owes about $4000 in parking tickets plus late fees.

Archived