Traffic Enforcement Cameras

Cotuit

<_< I should be getting a ticket if there is one servicing the light on our side of the highway.

Can you get two at the same time? I think I was turning left onto 95 North just as the light on the Hilton side of the bridge turned red.

End result: on time arrival at work. :thumbsup:

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply
i think the cameras are on the service road, so if you were turning off of atwells, you wouldn't have gotten your picture taken.

nothing was said about fighting them. they did suggest that $75 isn't enough to trouble people to stop.

i see the lights flash on at least one of the cameras near me (eaton and huxley, river and smith, river and admiral) at least once a day.

That has been an issue in other states, and cases are thrown out routinely, and cameras are eventually taken down...So i'm glad people are stopping, slowing down etc, but if they manage to get their cases kicked--the folks who do end up in court, then it won't be long before we're back to where we were with these intersections...

People in Philadelphia do not have an innate sense of being above the law like Rhode Islanders do. I see no end of red light running, wrong way driving, turning from the wrong lane, any kind of traffic violation, I see it every day in Rhode Island. People are either complete morons, don't care, or both. I think the fines for traffic violations need to be jacked to the sky, and Judge Caprio needs to stop being such a p*ssy.

People in Philadelphia do not have an innate sense of being above the law like Rhode Islanders do. I see no end of red light running, wrong way driving, turning from the wrong lane, any kind of traffic violation, I see it every day in Rhode Island. People are either complete morons, don't care, or both. I think the fines for traffic violations need to be jacked to the sky, and Judge Caprio needs to stop being such a p*ssy.

i think the cameras are on the service road, so if you were turning off of atwells, you wouldn't have gotten your picture taken.

nothing was said about fighting them. they did suggest that $75 isn't enough to trouble people to stop.

• 2 months later...
i think it's pretty sad when the people who enforce the law feel like they can break the law them they "see fit". generally there are only limited circumstances when a police officer can run a red light, and each of those times, they need to stop to make sure that traffic has either stopped to let them pass or that no one is coming, and their lights must be on.

My understanding of the situation in Providence is that a list of emergency vehicles, including city fire and police, state police, and college emergency vehicles are allowed to run lights when they have their lights and sirens on. If they don't, they are subject to fines and would need to go to traffic court to explain why they did not have their lights and sirens on.

My understanding of the situation in Providence is that a list of emergency vehicles, including city fire and police, state police, and college emergency vehicles are allowed to run lights when they have their lights and sirens on. If they don't, they are subject to fines and would need to go to traffic court to explain why they did not have their lights and sirens on.

They really only enforce it around busy areas such as Broad/Vine as well as South St. The enforcement is by regular beat cops pulling people over. I've seen police cars that just sit at certain corners during rush hour and if people "block the box" which inevitably results in gridlock the cops actually pull them over and fine them.

One of the funnier sites in philly is when someone decides they need to block the intersection on a friday or saturday on south st and a bike cop pulls up along side them and tells them to pull over. I don't know why but there is nothing more hilarious than a kid in his souped up honda civic with ground effects getting a ticket from a cop on a bike.

BTW does providence have a bicycle force? I'm in town and saw a fellow in blue with a badge riding around on a bike about an hour ago.

community police officers and downtown officers have bikes. and yes, cops need to sit at intersections and give out $50 tickets every time someone blocks the box. not only would it pay for itself in one rush hour, it would start to teach people NOT TO DO IT.

punishing people in the wallet works.

PPD has stepped up enforcement at various times. Last year they had a blitz Downcity where cops were pulling people over left and right during the afternoon rush. THey need to do this much more often and in more areas of the city.

I don't know about Philly, but in NYC not blocking the box is enforced mainly through peer pressure. Try blocking the box in NYC and see what happens. In Providence the peer pressure is reverse, try sitting outside the box on a green light in Providence and see what happens (or try not turning on red at a no turn on red). Maybe PPD needs to hire some civilians as peer leaders, pay them to drive around the city at rush hour not giving in to the peer pressure to break the laws.

PPD has stepped up enforcement at various times. Last year they had a blitz Downcity where cops were pulling people over left and right during the afternoon rush. THey need to do this much more often and in more areas of the city.

I don't know about Philly, but in NYC not blocking the box is enforced mainly through peer pressure. Try blocking the box in NYC and see what happens. In Providence the peer pressure is reverse, try sitting outside the box on a green light in Providence and see what happens (or try not turning on red at a no turn on red). Maybe PPD needs to hire some civilians as peer leaders, pay them to drive around the city at rush hour not giving in to the peer pressure to break the laws.

Archived