Somerset Collection

Temeteron

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The atmosphere, the stores, the busy-ness, i dono....people who have a passion for fashion and retail like myself just naturally love malls. I cant explain it

Thats enough of an answer for me. Everyone is wired differently.

And I thought Somerset was in Troy. I didnt realize it was in Barfland. :P

Temeteron, have you visited any "malls" outside the U.S.? If you had to pick only one as your favorite which one would it be?

Edit:

If you can't pick just one, a top 10 list would be ok too. :P

Here's my list of the 10 most interesting "malls" I've visited.

The Grand Bazaar in Istanbul, Turkey

Ben Thanh Market in Ho Chi Minh City (Saigon), Vietnam

The Khan el-Khalili in Cairo, Egypt

The Galleria Vittorio Emanuele in Milan, Italy

The Queen Victoria Building in Sydney, Australia

International Market Place in Waikiki, Oahu, Hawaii, USA

The Forum Shops in Las Vegas, Nevada, USA

Water Tower Place in Chicago, Illinois, USA

Harbour City in Hong Kong, China

Eaton Center in Toronto, Canada

The thing that all these malls have in common is that they are so uniquely attuned to their environment. I think that the way a society chooses to conduct its commerce says a lot about the society itself.

I hope I'm not swinging off topic too much. But I've always kind of wanted a downtown mall in Detroit, but I've realized how in Chicago, the downtown malls are fairly dead. Stores are only located on the lower levels or near the top floors where the food courts are. All other floors in between have closed up storefronts. This has a lot to do with the fact that most of the people are experiencing retail at the street level, and rather not have to go in and take the elevator.

I have a friend who works at a store in the Water Tower Plaza who can back me up on this.

EDIT: If Wolverine does not engage in too much partying tonight, and get my homework done, I'll take a little drive on over to Chicago on Sunday and find out a bit more on downtown malls.

Somerset is nice on the inside, but on the outside it's just a huge box of wall with a huge parking garage on the back side.

I like the skywalk that connects the two parts,

One of my professors designed the walkway box truss. He also worked on the interiors. I never really went there to buy anything. In my more youthful days, my friends and I would make asses of ourselves there; thongs and air-horns and the such.

I hope I'm not swinging off topic too much. But I've always kind of wanted a downtown mall in Detroit, but I've realized how in Chicago, the downtown malls are fairly dead. Stores are only located on the lower levels or near the top floors where the food courts are. All other floors in between have closed up storefronts. This has a lot to do with the fact that most of the people are experiencing retail at the street level, and rather not have to go in and take the elevator.

I have a friend who works at a store in the Water Tower Plaza who can back me up on this.

EDIT: If Wolverine does not engage in too much partying tonight, and get my homework done, I'll take a little drive on over to Chicago on Sunday and find out a bit more on downtown malls.

I read somewhere that after you start getting pass 2-3 floors, pedestrian traffic starts dropping exponentially, and that most urban malls stop adding full floors of retail after this because of that. But, it makes a lot of sense.

I still want to see a two-story retail arcade/atrium in the Woodward Block crossed by two walkways running north/south and east/west respectively. Maybe they could call it, The Shoppes at Woodward Collection, or simply The Woodwarde Collection. And remember, you have to add the fake French "E" for effect. ;)

It was just a question, and Temeteron gave an answer that made sense. It just made me think that there might be a change of ownership coming or something. :dontknow: Most people on this forum don't care too much about malls.

Most people on this forum dont care too much about malls?? HA...try going into the Charlotte or Columbia forums.....we literally stay up till the wee hours trying to post someting new before someone else does it! :lol:

Temeteron, have you visited any "malls" outside the U.S.? If you had to pick only one as your favorite which one would it be?

Edit:

If you can't pick just one, a top 10 list would be ok too. :P

Here's my list of the 10 most interesting "malls" I've visited.

The Grand Bazaar in Istanbul, Turkey

Ben Thanh Market in Ho Chi Minh City (Saigon), Vietnam

The Khan el-Khalili in Cairo, Egypt

The Galleria Vittorio Emanuele in Milan, Italy

The Queen Victoria Building in Sydney, Australia

International Market Place in Waikiki, Oahu, Hawaii, USA

The Forum Shops in Las Vegas, Nevada, USA

Water Tower Place in Chicago, Illinois, USA

Harbour City in Hong Kong, China

Eaton Center in Toronto, Canada

The thing that all these malls have in common is that they are so uniquely attuned to their environment. I think that the way a society chooses to conduct its commerce says a lot about the society itself.

Unfortunately I have not been to any of those, I dont really get a chance to travel outside the US unless I go to Greece where my parents are from, but I would love to be able to visit some malls such as The Forum Shops in LV, Mall of America, Houston Galleria, Dallas Galleria, Water Tower Place, and a few more.......alright you made me do it here are the ones I've been to:

Columbia Place (Columbia SC)

Columbiana Centre(Columbia SC)

Richland Mall(Columbia SC)

Dutch Square(Columbia SC)

Sumter Mall(Sumter SC)

Magnolia Mall(Florence SC)

Haywood Mall(Greenville SC)

Greenville Mall(Greenville SC)

Coastal Grand(Myrtle Beach SC)

Colonial Mall(Myrtle Beach SC)

Rock Hill Galleria (Rock Hill SC)

Citadel Mall(Charleston SC)

Northwoods Mall (Charleston SC)

Shops at Charleston Place(Charleston SC)

Village @ Sandhills- Lifestyle Center(Columbia SC)

SouthPark-one of my favorites(Charlotte)

Northlake(Charlotte)

Carolina Place(Charlotte)

Concord Mills(Concord-Charlotte, NC)

Eastridge Mall(Gastonia, NC)

Eastland Mall(Charlotte)

Birkdale Village-lifestyle center(Huntersville-Charlotte, NC)

Hanes Mall(Winston-Salem, NC)

SouthPoint (Durham, NC)

Lenox Square(Atlanta)

Phipps Plaza(Atlanta)

Perimeter Mall(Atlanta)

Stonecrest Mall(Atlanta)

Augusta Mall(Augusta, GA)

Peachtree Mall(Columbus, GA)

Aventura Mall(Miami)

Shops @ Bal Harbour(Miami)

Ft. Lauderdale Galleria(Ft. Lauderdale, FL)

Town Centre @ Boca Raton(Boca Raton, FL)

International Plaza(Tampa)

Johnson City Mall(Johnson City, TN)

Short Hills Mall(Short Hills, NJ)

Kings of Prussia Mall(Philadelphia)

Copley Place(Boston)

Burlington Mall(Boston)

Southshore Plaza(Boston)

Mall @ Chestnut Hill(Boston)

Natick Mall(Boston)

Atrium Mall(Boston)

Prudential Center(Boston)

Wrentham outlets(Boston)

North Attleboro Mall(Boston)

That's all i can think of right now lol

Most people here only care about malls when they can do something for the downtowns. I can honestly say that some malls or retail arcades can give downtowns some character. They act as a break in the streetwall and direct traffic inside of the block, and bring people out to the otherside where more retail development can occur. Some malls even incorporate historic buildings. I wish trappers alley could become a real effective mall. I know it was once, but everyone tells me it sucked, and wasn't done right. If Greektown plans on not using it anymore, they should try again at making it a mall. Maybe, just maybe it would work.

Well, I bet you could to a massive overhaul of Trapper's Alley and incorporate a lage project on all those vacant lots on Randolph, and then somehow connect Greektown to the RenCen/Riverfront shops...which will be vibrant in the future, I'm sure.

Unfortunately I have not been to any of those, I dont really get a chance to travel outside the US unless I go to Greece where my parents are from, but I would love to be able to visit some malls such as The Forum Shops in LV, Mall of America, Houston Galleria, Dallas Galleria, Water Tower Place, and a few more.......

I used to live in Dallas Metroplex and the Twin Cities so I've been to the Galleria and the Mall of America... although the Galleria had an indoor skating rink the stores are less upscale than the ones in Plano, less than Somerset. Mall of America is just massive, again it has indoor amusement in the form of transportation (a rollercoaster) :) Clearly, this is what Somerset needs.

Asian urban malls are something else, especially when they provide air conditioning in hot and humid regions.

Japanese 'department stores' are something else altogether, like midrise-highrise malls built beneath or above train stations by the railroad companies. Again, very urban.

Asian urban malls are something else, especially when they provide air conditioning in hot and humid regions.

I took refuge in several air conditioned malls (and a couple of bars :D) while trying to tour Singapore a few years ago. The heat was so extreme (100+F) I could only stay outside for 10 to 15 minutes at a time.

I have never visited Japan, but I hope to someday. I have read about their service oriented department stores. They sound intriguing.

I love how they call it a "collection." lol I think I'll start calling metropolitan Lansing's east shopping mall (Meridian Mall), the "Meridiane Collection." You've got to add the fake French e for effect. lol

I've never been, but every metropolitan that doesn't have a Rodeo Drive or 5th Avenue needs a mall for the wealthy. :)

Pronunciation is the real key.

"Tar-zhay"

"Kro-zhay"

(I have yet to figure out a way to swankify the Hypermart Chain Based in Walker Mich. Usually I refer to it as "Shifty's" or "Fred's." Those who recall the "thrifty acres" moniker understand, and everyone knows who Fred is.)

Archived