North Little Rock Development

The Argenta News reports that a new mixed-use development may soon be under construction. The project will cover most of the block between 7th and 8th fronting Maple and will include a building on Main St. The project will be made up of small apartments and commercial space. Total price for the development is stated to be $7 million. This project will be just north of the trolley line as well as the CityGrove Townhome development.

It has been reported that the Argenta CDC will begin construction on a 58 unit apartment building next spring. Some commercial space will also be included. The redevelopment of the building on Main will be in Phase II of the project.

• 5 months later...

Trolley barn expansion gets its brick on.

p1080412i.jpg

The new Argenta Master Development Plans calls for the Trolley Barn to be turned into a commercial space and the barn relocated.

The Argenta Community Theater is under construction. The back of the building is being completely rebuilt. When finished it will contain a 175 seat theater.

p1080415l.jpg

argentacommunitytheater.jpg

• 1 month later...

CityGrove

Work being done along Maple St. in front of CityGrove.

Obviously, looking back at your pictures, they clearly show this, BUT...I didn't notice until driving by this evening that THEY BUILT ALL OF THE UNITS BACK FROM THE STREET EXCEPT for the model units at each end (which makes it look even more bizarre!). This looks ridiculous, and disastrously degenerates the urban street edge. NLR never fails to amaze me at planning gaffes (not the least of which was building The Enclave SMACK in front of the Verizon entry, blocking the skyline view that was carefully and intentionally planned during the arena design).

Bleh....

Obviously, looking back at your pictures, they clearly show this, BUT...I didn't notice until driving by this evening that THEY BUILT ALL OF THE UNITS BACK FROM THE STREET EXCEPT for the model units at each end (which makes it look even more bizarre!). This looks ridiculous, and disastrously degenerates the urban street edge. NLR never fails to amaze me at planning gaffes (not the least of which was building The Enclave SMACK in front of the Verizon entry, blocking the skyline view that was carefully and intentionally planned during the arena design).

Bleh....

The plans call for three additional buildings with two housing units each. These buildings will front the street between the two corner units now on place. As for the Enclave my biggest problem is the lack of any storefronts on Washington. Anything would have been better than the blank wall hiding its interior parking.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The Smarthouse Way property is in play again. Because of delays to move power lines the previous developers backed out. The Mayor has been talking to other developers and now Greg Nabholz is going to market the property nationally. The campaign will begin with advertising in the Wall Street Journal. Mr. Nabholz sees the property as an excellent location for a multi-stroy corporate headquarters. He is going along with Warren Stephens view that Arkansas should be going after corporate headquaters located in depressed.

The Smarthouse Way property is located across Broadway from Dickey-Stephens Park facing the Arkansas River.

• 2 months later...

Looks like work will start soon the new Diamond Bear brewery in NLR. It will be located along the river near the new Pike Ave. roundabout. The new brewery will be 20,000 sq. ft. and can be expanded to 60,000. The new location will also include a restaurant.

This is the second recent project for Baring Cross area. Two weeks ago building permits were issued for the 1600 block of 3rd for apartments. The brewery will be located in the 1100 block.

Looks like work will start soon the new Diamond Bear brewery in NLR. It will be located along the river near the new Pike Ave. roundabout. The new brewery will be 20,000 sq. ft. and can be expanded to 60,000. The new location will also include a restaurant.

This is the second recent project for Baring Cross area. Two weeks ago building permits were issued for the 1600 block of 3rd for apartments. The brewery will be located in the 1100 block.

More details about the relocation of the Diamond Bear brewery:

http://www.arkansasonline.com/news/2011/apr/19/diamond-bear-move-nlr-20110419/?subscriber/arkansas

Excerpts:

" Diamond Bear Brewing Co. is moving across the Arkansas River to build a 20,000 square-foot brewery on North Little Rock’s riverfront that will include a restaurant, a special-events room and a party deck, city and company officials announced Monday."

"The site, along the RiverTrail bicycle and pedestrian path, is south of the Pike Avenue traffic circle where Pike meets Riverfront Drive and is west of Dickey-Stephens Park baseball stadium."

"The brewery will increase from its current 7,000-squarefoot facility in Little Rock to a 20,000 square-foot building, Melton said in the news release, with space to one day grow to 60,000 square feet.

The brewery’s work force will increase from four to 20 employees, but will employ more than 70 workers once the60,000 square foot expansion is complete, the release said.

The brewery’s plans include being able to accommodate several hundred patrons by having a much larger tap room, a small restaurant, a deck overlooking the river, a special-events room available for rentals, and public tours on weekends, the release said."

Although I'd have loved for them to be able to find a place on the Little Rock side of the river in the River Market, I think this location could work out very well the way they've described what they want to build. It could help get more commercial development going over on that side of the riverfront as well.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

New apartments under construction at the site of the former Rockwater Development.

dsc00645tj.jpg

Former? Ewww....I had just assumed the original TND was on hold, and that they were now moving ahead with it...very unfortunate. Where did you read about Rockwater being abandoned?

As you can see the smokestack in the background was to be the center of Rockwater. I believe the location of these apartments, according to the site plans, were to be single family homes. The website is no longer available.

That's too bad...strangely though, if you google it, it still shows up and you can jump to it...example:

http://www.rockwatervillage.com/vision.htm'>http://www.rockwatervillage.com/vision.htm

However, if you just go to http://www.rockwatervillage.com there is no site. So, the main page is disabled, but all the separate pages are still active. I take this to mean that the development is dead, which is really unfortunate.

That's too bad...strangely though, if you google it, it still shows up and you can jump to it...example:

http://www.rockwater....com/vision.htm

However, if you just go to http://www.rockwatervillage.com there is no site. So, the main page is disabled, but all the separate pages are still active. I take this to mean that the development is dead, which is really unfortunate.

Next time I see Jim Jackson or Lisa Ferrell, I will ask them about the status of the development and see if I can get some info. I've been meaning to ask them about the development but haven't seen them in a while.

The McCain Mall remodel seems to be moving along pretty well, I noticed one of the main entrances is now blocked off and inside there is a ton of exposed flooring. It also looks like they are beginning on the new restrooms which will be houses in the spot where the old Arcade was.

-R

• 2 months later...

I was surprised I hadn't seen anyone make the comment in here yet, but the empty/partially built/formerly crappy looking space to the right side of Best Buy was built, finished out, and is now open as a Hancock Fabrics store. This is their second store in Little Rock and their fifth in Arkansas. It's a massive visual improvement over the dirt lot with some exposed steel and weeds.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I just talked to the general manager at Pei Wei in Little Rock. He said they have already selected a location for a NLR Pei Wei and are in negotiations. He mentioned adding another location in the Promenade at Chenal and also adding one in Rogers. Pretty exciting news! I'm a huge Pei Wei fan.