North Little Rock Development

• 2 weeks later...

The new hotel will be between 8 and 12 stories at a cost of $28 million. It will contain 130 rooms and 15,000 sq. ft. for restaurant and retail space. A parking deck for 300 cars will be built next to the hotel. The brand will be released in the next few months.

Last month the a TIF district was approved to help finance the city owned parking deck part of this development. The NLR school district has voted to take the matter to court. The Mayor says he will fight the district but the developer says a law suit will probably stop the development. It will prevent financing while a fight in the courts drags on. Frank Fletcher, owner of the Wyndham, says he will join the district's side to oppose the TIF. Looks like another hotel project bites the dust.

Last month the a TIF district was approved to help finance the city owned parking deck part of this development. The NLR school district has voted to take the matter to court. The Mayor says he will fight the district but the developer says a law suit will probably stop the development. It will prevent financing while a fight in the courts drags on. Frank Fletcher, owner of the Wyndham, says he will join the district's side to oppose the TIF. Looks like another hotel project bites the dust.

Simply amazing how people around here are so opposed to economic development. I saw the same type of things in Fort Smith, where the city fought bringing in both an IBM and a Toyota plant for some reason (I think it was increased growth and traffic).

Simply amazing how people around here are so opposed to economic development. I saw the same type of things in Fort Smith, where the city fought bringing in both an IBM and a Toyota plant for some reason (I think it was increased growth and traffic).

From the NLR School District's perspective, this isn't an anti-development stance, but rather against cutting a portion of their funding stream...this isn't a surprising position.

The Wyndham position is unquestionably less honorable. They just want to limit competition...this also is not surprising.

I'm for the development in principle, but I believe the way this is being implemented by "merging" TIF districts is unprecedented, and obviously controversial.

I don't think most people are against economic development in downtown NLR. However, the method by which the mayor is "merging" the existing areas for this TIF is suspect at best... And, at worst, illegal.

Interesting article on Argenta development in Talk Business Quarterly. One thing mentioned I have not heard of before is the development of the Second Street corridor. It would run between Alltel Arena and Dickey-Stephens Park. The purpose of the corridor would be an entertainment district. The hotel planned between Broadway and Second would be the first phase of the corridor. The hotel development is planned to contain two restaurants. At the east end of the corridor the Jones Brothers office supply store is now being demolished. The city owns a building between Alltel Arena and Main and will sell it to the right developer.

Interesting article on Argenta development in Talk Business Quarterly. One thing mentioned I have not heard of before is the development of the Second Street corridor. It would run between Alltel Arena and Dickey-Stephens Park. The purpose of the corridor would be an entertainment district. The hotel planned between Broadway and Second would be the first phase of the corridor. The hotel development is planned to contain two restaurants. At the east end of the corridor the Jones Brothers office supply store is now being demolished. The city owns a building between Alltel Arena and Main and will sell it to the right developer.

Makes sense. There should be a lot of pedestrian traffic there on game days and there isn't really another old commercial street in Argenta to renovate.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Looks like work will begin soon on a 32,000 square foot three story mixed-use building located just north of the branch library on Main St. A police substation in now located there but the police should be moved in early May. A plumbing permit has been issued for the site. The build will contain 16 condos along with office and commercial space.

This development is a no go and the property is being sold to a group headed by John Gaudin. He is behind Argenta Place and CityGrove Townhomes.

The brick in going on the row houses at CityGrove.

p1040374y.jpg

The feed mill is no more.

p1040377l.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I wonder how these projects will age. They don't look the same quality as similar types of development in Fayetteville. Granted, I'm looking at pictures prior to completion.

They seem fairly well done to me (though I've seen better), but to what projects are you referring in Fayetteville? Most of what I've seen up there is sub-par.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Not long before the exterior work is finished.

p1040669d.jpg

p1040673l.jpg

Another area for Argenta development is the old feed mill property. Arkansas Times did a story last week and reported that Jody Hardin of the NLR farmers market is in talks to turn some of the property into a so-called slow food hub. It would include a pavilion for the farmers market, a bottling facility for organic milk and a warehouse for local food. Also, he said there is a possibility that a culinary academy and Diamond Bear Brewing Company might relocate there. The city and stakeholders have hired a firm to develop a master plan for the area.

The expansion of the trolley barn should start later this month.

Edited by skirby

Also, he said there is a possibility that a culinary academy and Diamond Bear Brewing Company might relocate there. The city and stakeholders have hired a firm to develop a master plan for the area.

I have always thought that Diamond Bear should relocate to a better location with more visibility. The River Market is probably to expensive so I guess this is the next best place.

I would be very interested to hear more info about this if you have it, if not please keep us posted.

Edited by ndark

I have always thought that Diamond Bear should relocate to a better location with more visibility. The River Market is probably to expensive so I guess this is the next best place.

I would be very interested to hear more info about this if you have it, if not please keep us posted.

That is all I know about a move right now but I agree a better location should improve business. If they located to downtown Argenta they might expand the days they are open for tasting and tours. An Argenta location would provide a number of marketing opportunities.

But then I'd have to violate my personal boycott of dog... North Little Rock to get my growler filled.

How do I get my hands on one of those growlers? Do I just go up there during their tour hours? And how much are they?

Hogwash, do you not go to Travs games or events at Alltel? And people in NLR like the moniker "dogtown".

Well, they fill my growler from the old Ozark Brewing Company in Fayetteville. They'll fill anything really. You might get a Vino's growler and then you can get it filled at either Vino's or DB. Vino's won't fill outside growlers. DB keeps regular business hours during the week. They just fail to advertise that on their site.

I've been to one Travs game since it moved and that was because it was free. But, as a kid growing up I didn't go very often. So, you can take that for what its worth.

I did watch the Hogs in Alltel earlier this season, but it was free. I usually don't go to Alltel events because I'm busy and cheap. So, you can take that for what its worth too.

I'm kind of like how Baptists are with liquor stores when it comes to my personal "boycott". I'll go to NLR for stuff, but I don't want anyone seeing me do it. Its pretty hard for me to live with out Starving Artist Cafe. I just don't go as often. If there were a regime change, I'm confident I could restore full relations with NLR.

So, it's really not so much a boycott, just that I shop Little Rock first. I don't hate NLR or anything. I want to see our little brother do well, just not at LR's expense. I don't think Dickey-Stephens or Alltel could have been better sited on the south side of the river either.

• 2 weeks later...