Louisiana Boardwalk

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I visited the Riverwalk in December and I was very impressesed. When I lived in Texarkana a years ago we hardly went to Shreveport. If we did, it was to pick someone up from the airport.

It reminds me alot of Atlantic Station here in Atlanta. Even the Regal Cinema is exactly the same! I like the store selection (outlets opposed to high-end retail), and the parking is free. :D:D

I can't believe there is a dress code....are they really enforcing it???

I visited the Riverwalk in December and I was very impressesed. When I lived in Texarkana a years ago we hardly went to Shreveport. If we did, it was to pick someone up from the airport.

It reminds me alot of Atlantic Station here in Atlanta. Even the Regal Cinema is exactly the same! I like the store selection (outlets opposed to high-end retail), and the parking is free. :D:D

I can't believe there is a dress code....are they really enforcing it???

How long ago did you live in Texarkana? These days, it seems most people in Texarkana come down here on the weekends.

I'm glad you enjoyed yourself and liked the Boardwalk. :)

Anyway, about the dress code... they are most certainly enforcing it. It may seem a bit strict to someone who doesn't live here, but to those of us who do, we're so thankful for it. The decline of South Park Mall a few years back was due to gang activity, and the same thing is playing out in the two remaining area malls (Pierre Bossier Mall and Mall St. Vincent) right now. Thugs are ruining the experience for people who wish to buy, and the stores are losing business from that. The Boardwalk is trying to stop anything like that from happening by enforcing pretty strict rules. It's the only way shoppers around here can feel safe.

I lived in Texarkana from '83 to '86. I have lots of family there, so we make the trip from Atlanta at least twice a year. It seems like I never left.

I would love for them to have some kind of enforcement at the mall that is close to my home. The mall is about 4 years old and already getting a rep. for being "ghetto". The demographics are pretty strong, but the rowdy teens hanging out and starting fights are really ruining the experience for most people including myself.

I lived in Texarkana from '83 to '86. I have lots of family there, so we make the trip from Atlanta at least twice a year. It seems like I never left.

Wow, it seems like you visit Texarkana about as often as I do, and I live less than 90 miles away! :D We rarely ever visit family and friends there anymore due to our work schedules, but we try to stop for a while when we're passing through. We went to Hot Springs a week ago, so we made sure we met up with friends for breakfast at Grandy's by Central Mall on our way.

Oh, and what you said about the airport is funny, because my wife has told me many times about having to make the trip down here to fly in and out or pick someone up from the airport back when she was living in Texarkana.

I would love for them to have some kind of enforcement at the mall that is close to my home. The mall is about 4 years old and already getting a rep. for being "ghetto". The demographics are pretty strong, but the rowdy teens hanging out and starting fights are really ruining the experience for most people including myself.

So do you live in the burbs or in the city? Either way, it's really sad to see that happen to any mall, let alone one that's only 4 years old. Wow that's sad. Having experienced this many, many times over the years, I completely understand and I know how you must feel about it.

I wish the trip was just 90 miles.... <_< When you don't have alot of family where you live, it's worth the 10 1/2 hr. drive.

I actually live in the burbs, about 30 min east. It's a mostly middle-class African-American neighborhood (according to former President Clinton, the 2nd richest behind PG Co. in Maryland). It took almost 20 years to get the mall built, (demographic changes) and when they did build it it was said that we couldnt support it. So yeah I'm a little mad. :angry::angry:

I wish the trip was just 90 miles.... <_< When you don't have alot of family where you live, it's worth the 10 1/2 hr. drive.

I actually live in the burbs, about 30 min east. It's a mostly middle-class African-American neighborhood (according to former President Clinton, the 2nd richest behind PG Co. in Maryland). It took almost 20 years to get the mall built, (demographic changes) and when they did build it it was said that we couldnt support it. So yeah I'm a little mad. :angry::angry:

Hey, I understand. My wife's father used to live 12 hours away and we'd drive to visit him once, sometimes twice, per year. As of this year he lives closer to 15 hours away. :lol: I think starting this year we're going to fly to see him from now on. But hey, it's nice to go up there and visit.

I can see why you'd be so upset by the situation in your area. I hate to hear about that. Hopefully something can be done to curtail the problem now.

The Nike Store opened today in the Boardwalk. According to the following article, this is their first store in Louisiana. This is just further proof that the Boardwalk is maturing and that the additions will continue. Build-A-Bear Workshop just opened, and Copeland's Cheesecake Bistro is coming in the near future.

http://www.shreveporttimes.com/apps/pbcs.d...1/NEWS/60531013

That's great. Looks like the LA Boardwalk is making a turn towards more upscale vendors. That Copeland's Cheesecake Bistro is been "coming soon" forever, but when it does open, it should be one of the better restaurants. Did they construct a brand new building for the Nike store? Where did they have room for that?

That's great. Looks like the LA Boardwalk is making a turn towards more upscale vendors. That Copeland's Cheesecake Bistro is been "coming soon" forever, but when it does open, it should be one of the better restaurants. Did they construct a brand new building for the Nike store? Where did they have room for that?

Yeah, last word on Copeland's is that it should be open before Christmas. I don't know what's been happening behind the scenes that's slowing it down, but something has obviously happened there. Hopefully it will still become a reality.

Anyway, the Nike and Build-A-Bear stores are in a brand-new building that was just built on the site.

Here's a photo I've been storing on my computer. I just uploaded it specifically to post here. This should give you an idea of where the Nike/Build-A-Bear building was constructed. In the very bottom of the photo, you can see the backside of the signs for the boutique hotel, so this new building is adjacent to that site.

151639454.jpg

SBCmetroguy,

I hate to split hairs about the Boardwalk but the Nike store is the only business in that new building.

Build a Bear was located in the same strip that has the Osh Kosh store in line with it.

Sorry to be a killjoy,

Mudbugger

SBCmetroguy,

I hate to split hairs about the Boardwalk but the Nike store is the only business in that new building.

Build a Bear was located in the same strip that has the Osh Kosh store in line with it.

Sorry to be a killjoy,

Mudbugger

Very interesting, but thanks. I haven't been down there since those stores opened... I've only taken photos from the Horseshoe garage. I'm wanting to get down there this weekend, so I may have to do so. I didn't realize that Nike was occupying that entire building by itself. That must be one huge store. I've REALLY got to get down there now. :D

I heard on KTAL this morning that the Boardwalk was purchasing land adjacent to Bass Pro Shops with the purpose of expanding. They also mentioned the hotel still being built. Great news, indeed!

REALLY... how the heck did I miss that!? :lol:

Thanks for the info!

I don't know what the deal is with KTAL. I've scouring different sites to verify what i saw yesterday morning; with no luck. When i heard it yesterday, I did a double take (gotta Tivo) to make sure i heard what i thought i heard. The news clip was on during one of there 2-3 minute news flashes that they do while the "Today Show" was on; sometime b/w 8-9 am.

I don't know what the deal is with KTAL. I've scouring different sites to verify what i saw yesterday morning; with no luck. When i heard it yesterday, I did a double take (gotta Tivo) to make sure i heard what i thought i heard. The news clip was on during one of there 2-3 minute news flashes that they do while the "Today Show" was on; sometime b/w 8-9 am.

Very strange, for sure. I'm sure in due time it'll pop up somewhere, and barring I don't end up hearing from KTAL at all, I'll just wait to see when it pops back up in the news.

Thanks for filling us all in, though! :)

• 3 weeks later...

Thats great news! Its good to hear that Bass Pro will be expanding, it should be quite a nice asset in downtown Shreveport. It gets hard for the Headquarters here in Springfield to keep expanding to maintain the "Largest Bass Pro" status. It will be cool to see how this turns out.

Archived