SoDo

patriot06

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

found a website for SODO, it has some progress pictures on it, but they're woefully out of date already.

http://www.sodo-orlando.com/

other than Target, TJ Maxx, and 24 hr fitness, I don't think they have any other lessees identified. Rents seem a bit high though for the area. Although I drove down Murial the other day and it looks like people are discovering that neighborhood as well...new construction as well as a lot of remodels. Could be a really cute area.

• 1 month later...

sorry bic, no pix yet, but...

I can't stress enough to enyone living in the ORL, that you really need to drive up to this thing b/c this thing is one awesome development. the renderings don't do it justice... it is way more vertical and dense. I will be here every day after work just for sh!ts and giggles. it will be the best development in the city limits for what it is by far... I am very excited about this. I wish there were clones of SODO planned for other parts of town.

found a website for SODO, it has some progress pictures on it, but they're woefully out of date already.

http://www.sodo-orlando.com/

other than Target, TJ Maxx, and 24 hr fitness, I don't think they have any other lessees identified. Rents seem a bit high though for the area. Although I drove down Murial the other day and it looks like people are discovering that neighborhood as well...new construction as well as a lot of remodels. Could be a really cute area.

the small residential pockets around SODO on the west side of Orange are also slowly being fixed up as well. I drove through Muriel the other day and it seems a lot of the houses have been bought up and renovated. The area has quite a bit of potential, commuter rail will be nearby and the City is also talking about extending Lymmo or similar circulator along Division. I think it's also good that SODO's residential component will be rentals and at a pretty decent price point.

the area is still sketchy in parts. There was (another) armed bank robbery at one of the banks at Orange/Michigan. The checkers was robbed for the 2nd or 3rd time last week, and one of the smaller businesses near Blankner on Michigan was robbed as well. We've also got several regular homeless people in the area. Most are harmless enough though, several of them are elderly women.

Schools aren't bad either, except Blankner's boundaries only include those areas east of Orange. But Boone High School serves all of the area.

the small residential pockets around SODO on the west side of Orange are also slowly being fixed up as well. I drove through Muriel the other day and it seems a lot of the houses have been bought up and renovated. The area has quite a bit of potential, commuter rail will be nearby and the City is also talking about extending Lymmo or similar circulator along Division. I think it's also good that SODO's residential component will be rentals and at a pretty decent price point.

the area is still sketchy in parts. There was (another) armed bank robbery at one of the banks at Orange/Michigan. The checkers was robbed for the 2nd or 3rd time last week, and one of the smaller businesses near Blankner on Michigan was robbed as well. We've also got several regular homeless people in the area. Most are harmless enough though, several of them are elderly women.

Schools aren't bad either, except Blankner's boundaries only include those areas east of Orange. But Boone High School serves all of the area.

I agree praha, Lymmo is more practical to the south of town, however I believe the city is concerned with whom they let "in". Baldwin Park residents, with what is in place have more $$ to offer to downtown businesses and venues.

Lala, I also agree with the sketchy areas that you are mentioning which is somewhat the reason that I posted as I did above. The good news is that when SODO (hate that term) opens there will be an increased police presents in that area which will hopefully drive out some of the vagrants. It will attract newer businesses in proximity and force the owners of the current facilities to "Tighten up".

One area of concern and let me qualify, I have absolutlely nothing to base this on, is the Lucerne Hospital and the surface lots generally to the south of that intersection. My concern is with ORMC, Florida Hospital, and now Nemours within a 15 mile radius that Lucerne will either be abandoned completely or turned into one big AA/NA meeting space. Again I'll say I know nothing of the Lucerne Hospital operation, who knows they might be transferring a heart as we speak but whatever they do ORMC can certainly do better and cheaper by freeing up the costs of land.

it often feels like the area just south of downtown gets a little neglected and forgotten. In terms of proximity, the Wadeview/Delaney Park/Lake Davis neighborhoods are much closer to downtown than Baldwin Park and it's a straight shot up Orange. What really concerns me is that the neighborhood associations and Phil Diamond seem to be pushing more and more speed humps on many of the streets in Delaney Park/Wadeview. That's their idea of 'traffic calming' and it sucks. In terms of money, it's hard to say if Delaney/Lake Davis have less money than Baldwin Park...that's kinda laughable. Wadeview may be more 'affordable' but houses are selling there in the $175-$300/sf range. Not to mention, Blankner and Boone are two very highly regarded schools. I know of folks living in College Park sending their kids to Boone rather than Edgewater.

Also, I'm a bit tired of DT wanting to be so upscale. People don't want to pay $10 for a lousy martini. I don't think the market is there and certainly there aren't restaurants that deserve ridiculously high prices. Orlando will never be Miami or Manhattan, nor should it really strive to be some oh so hip glitzy kinda place. I think Orlando should try to be more down to earth like Portland or Austin. It's a much younger demographic. Hell, between UCF and Valencia there are 100K people enrolled at both schools, that's a lot of college students, even accounting for the ones that are lifelong learners or just taking a class here and there.

I think the SODO development will be very successful and we're already seeing the area get more attention and businesses sprucing up their storefronts. I'm also rooting for that damn movie theater to open.

orlando native, I'm not all that familiar with Lucerne Hospital, but I thin it's often used as a step-down facility for seriously injured folks that aren't ready to go home yet. I had a friend in a serious motorcycle accident that was in a coma for six weeks that spent several weeks there doing physical and occupational therapy. He's fine now and speaks highly of the place.

I also second whoever said that lymmo needs to go to SODO!!! Of course I'm a little biased.

A Baldwin Park Lymmo service will be a waste. It won't get used enough. The #23 bus already goes to Baldwin Park and I bet that is the least busy portion of its route. As part of my new year's resolution to use more public transportation in Orlando, I will be using the #39 bus today to go to the Enzian. I'll admit that I don't use it that much (maybe once every 2 weeks or so), but I am doing it. I've also been walking to the Shine Avenue Publix for my groceries and using their green bags instead of the plastic. I live .75 miles from the Publix and I even incorporated a run yesterday (with green bag in tow) around Lake Eola, then out Robinson, and up Shine to the Publix. People kept looking at me funny because, oh my god, I had exercised and was sweating. I find it really funny, because so many people wear workout gear to that Publix, but don't actually know what a real workout is.

Anyway... SoDo looks like a deck of cards. For a building that tall made mostly of wood framing, they should have done this... but wider

yun_4527.jpg

The Baldwin Park Line would be the last and was only thrown out as a potential 10 years down the road. The priorities are connecting the hospitals and Thornton Park and Parramore. The Lymmmo will first focus on getting people from the commuter rail stops to their destination. The chances of a line going to Baldwin Park in nil within in the next 10 years. And by then there may be plans for a light rail system (I doubt it thought)

Of course it's not only for low-income people - but, people are delusional if they think that all middle/upper class suburbanites are going to immediately change their transportation habits because we have a one-line rail system with no spurs. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a hater, and I'm still excited at the prospect of commuter rail. Your average Joe just isn't going to use public transit because we say he should unless it's significantly more convenient than driving. And except for a very small population of people who live and work very near a station, a one-line system won't be astoundingly convenient. It's a chicken and the egg thing: the more the system expands, the more convenient it will be/the higher the ridership. But it will take high ridership to begin with for the system to expand. As such, my only point is that ridership numbers are the first priority of public transit, and as such, it should initially service the people who have no other option for transportation, because they will be the most reliable users of the system.

The Baldwin Park Line would be the last and was only thrown out as a potential 10 years down the road. The priorities are connecting the hospitals and Thornton Park and Parramore. The Lymmmo will first focus on getting people from the commuter rail stops to their destination. The chances of a line going to Baldwin Park in nil within in the next 10 years. And by then there may be plans for a light rail system (I doubt it thought)

Archived