Smoke Free Cities in SC

Greenville

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Where to go from here? :dontknow:

Make it a state matter. When municipalities implement laws like this it hurts businesses inside while helping businesses on the other side of the city limit lines. When the state does it, it limits the impact on business.

'Breathe Easy' Campaign Marches On

It says the city will appeal the court's decision in the next few weeks. Does anyone think there is a chance of the ruling getting reversed?

Also, they say that Addy's, Barley's, Larkin's, Trio's and Blu Martini will stay smoke-free. Has smoking not hurt these businesses? And if not, then is it a bunch of hogwash that it has hurt some businesses?

It says the city will appeal the court's decision in the next few weeks. Does anyone think there is a chance of the ruling getting reversed?

Also, they say that Addy's, Barley's, Larkin's, Trio's and Blu Martini will stay smoke-free. Has smoking not hurt these businesses? And if not, then is it a bunch of hogwash that it has hurt some businesses?

The irony is that Addy's was one of the loudest critics of the smoking ban before it was enacted. I assume a majority of his clientele convinced him it is better this way? Very cool. :shades:

The irony is that Addy's was one of the loudest critics of the smoking ban before it was enacted. I assume a majority of his clientele convinced him it is better this way? Very cool. :shades:

That is pretty interesting. I guess it's not really these downtown merchants that are hurting so much as the ones near the city/county line now that it's in place. How realistic or unrealistic is a state-wide ban?

That is pretty interesting. I guess it's not really these downtown merchants that are hurting so much as the ones near the city/county line now that it's in place. How realistic or unrealistic is a state-wide ban?

A bill did pass in the state Senate, allowing cities the ability to enact and enforce bans. It has yet to make it through the House though. Keep your fingers crossed...

A bill did pass in the state Senate, allowing cities the ability to enact and enforce bans. It has yet to make it through the House though. Keep your fingers crossed...

Oh, nice. Would the county be capable of passing a ban? And do you think they would??? Sometimes you just never know what they're thinking...

Oh, nice. Would the county be capable of passing a ban? And do you think they would??? Sometimes you just never know what they're thinking...

I am not sure of the specifics of the bill, but I would expect that it would take a massive effort (campaign) by the citizens of a county to pressure them into such a decision.

A lot of business were on the lawsuit because of the principle that it should be a business owner decision on smoking, and not a government forced one. They may not be opposed to it, but they are opposed to being forced into something.

• 2 weeks later...

I still have a friend who owns a Bar in Columbus, OH. He was originily against a smoking ban, but we actually were able to vote on it, and the ban passed like 67%-33%. Anyways, he told me w/in a few months of the ban going into effect, his bar was making more money than before and more people were coming there. He said even the regulars who were smokers still come as much. He said it is great that he and his employees don't have to go home w/ the smell of smoke on their clothes anymore.

Those that argue against a ban b/c you say that we non smokers have a choice to go to a place or not, must not go out much. Here in Rock Hill, I don't know of one bar that is smoke free. Even in Charlotte, I don't know of any smoke free bars. It keeps me and some of my friends from going out much at all. I just can't stand the smell, so I don't go out. If SC would step up to the plate like OH did, or even if Charlotte did, I would probably go out on a weekly basis and patronize different bars and clubs. I have no problems w/ any smoking ban and if I had lived closer to Greenville, to show support for it, I would have gone out to patronize some of those places.

I also agree that the state should place a very high tax on packs of cigarettes. I imagine a lot of people would quit if their prices doubled or even tripled, but that needs to be a nationwide thing to so people wouldn't drive 1 state over to get them on the cheap. People that say this would kill the poor tobacco farmer, well I have no sympathy for someone that chooses to grow a product on their land that is a known killer for the last 40 or 50 yrs. They could easily change to growing more useful products like someone else said.

I think you hit on a key point- Columbus, OH got to VOTE on it. In Greenville, Charlesotn, Columbia, and Sullivan's Island (the other cities out there) their councils just passed the law. I think that since most people are non-smokers, most people would be in favor of these bans. Just don't force it on them.

I think you hit on a key point- Columbus, OH got to VOTE on it. In Greenville, Charlesotn, Columbia, and Sullivan's Island (the other cities out there) their councils just passed the law. I think that since most people are non-smokers, most people would be in favor of these bans. Just don't force it on them.

I'd rather vote with dollars than with ballots.

I'd rather vote with dollars than with ballots.

I agree since it's cities that are looking to ban. The municipal population may think one way, but they aren't the only ones with great interest. If it were State or County wide bans, then sure, let them vote.

Well now we shall have in interesting little experiment in Downtown Greenville. There will be smoking bars and non smoking bars, who will Flourish and who will fail? My guess is that there will be room for both and that if the city, county, state, and government in general will stay the heck out of the way things will work themselves out nicely.

Well now we shall have in interesting little experiment in Downtown Greenville. There will be smoking bars and non smoking bars, who will Flourish and who will fail? My guess is that there will be room for both and that if the city, county, state, and government in general will stay the heck out of the way things will work themselves out nicely.

There's definitely room for both, IMO, downtown.

• 2 months later...

The legality of it is being fought, it's up in the air atm as to whether these bans will stick or not.

That's what I thought. Thanks for verifying. I didn't realize that other cities would still pass these until a resolution was come up with... Thanks.

• 9 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I don't smoke, have no desire to, avoid smoking areas, etc.

But I don't understand why private businesses should have a smoking ban imposed on them.

If folks, like me, who don't want to eat at a restaurant because of smokers, we don't have to go there.

Seems like a simple concept. It is really not always about me.

When patrons are invited into an establishment, certain things are expected. Safety is one of them. Patrons should feel comfortable that fire codes are being enforced, building codes are being enforced and that they have reasonable assurance that their well-being is not compromised.

The same goes for a restaurant. Patrons who eat in these establishments should feel assured that their food meets a minimum health standard and won't make them sick.

But for SOME REASON, when it comes to the air we breath we have to protect smokers rights and there's absolutely NO STANDARD as to the quality of what goes into our lungs.

Do you have ANY idea what tobacco companies put into cigarettes?

This is *clearly* a public safety and health issue. AIR is such a basic thing. We have a right to it being clean. Smokers don't have a right to foul it up and owners of private establishments don't have the right to invite guests in and then subject them to toxic air.

I've worked in bars and I know just how bad the air can get. I'd love for health inspectors to go into a crowded, smoke-filled bar and do an air quality analysis. I think the results would astound people.

Now that the Supreme Court has made its ruling, Spartanburg officials have said that a smoking ban is on the radar for discussion later this year.

Herald-Journal Article

Well, I suppose its worth mentioning that Spartanburg City Council considered a smoking ban last month, but ultimately decided not to go through with it due to fears that it could run off potential or existing restaurants.

On a related note, the Herald-Journal has a list of places in SC that have a smoking ban in place, and the date it went into effect.

Sullivans Island: May 16, 2006

Liberty: Oct. 9, 2006

Greenville: Oct. 30, 2006

Columbia: Nov. 8, 2006

Beaufort County: Nov. 27, 2006

Bluffton: Dec. 12, 2006

Charleston: Jan. 23, 2007

Aiken County: Feb. 20, 2007

Hilton Head Island: Feb. 20, 2007

Mount Pleasant: June 12, 2007

Surfside Beach: July 24, 2007

Clemson: Jan. 14, 2008