New Urban Village Near Scaleybark Light Rail Station

monsoon

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It appears to be a design flaw with the street. Why are there no giant airbags at the curb to accommodate 95 mph drivers? It seems to be something missed by CATS. :)

It is unfortunate, though, that is recklessness caused such significant injury. But it is even more unfortunate that the bias against transit in this town create such a hubbub over a single situation, with unique circumstances on a transit system intended to last a generation.

The interstate system has caused significant death due to speed, but everyone recognizes the overarching benefit of that system. I guess it just proves the lack of respect for factual causation in the news media before they are casting dispersions and innuendo to tarnish the brand of the city's infrastructure. Tober might be doing a terrible job, but as long as unfair accusations keep getting hurled at him, it is impossible to separate them in order to give a fair assessment.

^Actually the facts of the matter is the police reported to the press initially the new design might have led to the problem. An accident report will not speak to this because it attempts to say what the driver did wrong and in this case it was speeding. I don't see anything in this accident report that proves anything that WSOC or what has been posted here was wrong. Therefore while the driver was driving fast, the unusual design of the area doesn't help. Imagine what is going to happen when one of the drivers crashes into the station which happens to be in the middle of the street. I still contend this is a very bad design and it is going to be an accident waiting to happen. Wait, it already did.

^ They didn't forget, that's what pedestrians are for. :lol: I imagine the first few months of it's opening will see quite a few accidents, and the whole LRT project will come under fire for a while in the press, on this forum, and at the water fountain, but then people (drivers mainly) will adapt. If not we'll have many new entries for the Darwin awards..

I still contend this is a very bad design and it is going to be an accident waiting to happen. Wait, it already did.

That isn't at all fair because this accident was the sole responsibility of speed. It is impossible to judge correctly when going that fast, even on a wide open interstate, let alone a city street. This accident in my mind has nothing to do with it being an "accident waiting to happen." How many wrecks happen on clearly marked, straight, stretches of interstate? I'm certain those accidents aren't claimed to be the fault of faulty design.

Why don't we just wait and see what happens before passing judgement on the design of this area. There are thousands of people who apparently have no problem traversing this stretch each day, but when someone going 3x the speed limit gets in a wreck all of a sudden it is all stops? I don't get it.

As does putting sidewalks and buildings on the sides of roads....we can't bubblewrap the world....there will always be jackasses doing something stupid that puts other people in danger.

We should all just wait until the system is up and running before playing the "I told you so game", because at this point, the design is happening, and I have to put a little faith in the designers who thought this was a suitable plan. I guess we will see what happens when the train is running, but anyone driving 95 miles per hour in a construction zone, South Blvd, Old Pineville, I-77 regardless is asking for trouble. For the traffic alignments that the professionals can't sort out completely, Darwin picks up the slack.

Plus, no implications on design can be made with a single event. Even if this event was unequivocally linked to the design, which is dubious at best, a trend is needed in order for it to be meaningful.

Also, any design change has the potential for making speeders screw up and get into an accident. Slight lane changes during the construction caused the people there (that were going 10-20mph over the limit) mess up and get in accidents. In that case, it was a trend that ended up causing them to lower the speed limit rather than stop doing lane shifts during construction.

The bottom line is that this is a city street in the heart of a city with people. There will be pedestrians, bicycles, motorcylcles, and trains. 95mph anywhere on city street with a 35mph speed limit is a recipe for tragedy.

As for the design, I am confident that there will be more accidents, but that the overall trend of accidents will be lower than South Blvd before the addition of the median.

It has already been established and agreed upon (for the most part) that the driver was not effected by any of the road changes that were made for the light rail. so WHY do you keep presenting your theory on how these changes will be so bad when this accident was NOT CAUSED by them? I am tired of the negativity to be honest. Why not think more positive light? I'd rather have a "this city made a bad decision, but lets hope it turns out for the best" discussion rather than a " this city made a bad decicion and is damning us all to hell" discussion.

if there are any accidedents in that wave on south blvd, it will be from people trying to make a left hand turn from clanton road too soon to turn left onto north bound south blvd. now if you feal that the bend in the road on old pineville is unsafe, i'd push the city or state to fix old pineville road.

It has already been established and agreed upon (for the most part) that the driver was not effected by any of the road changes that were made for the light rail. so WHY do you keep presenting your theory on how these changes will be so bad when this accident was NOT CAUSED by them? I am tired of the negativity to be honest. Why not think more positive light? I'd rather have a "this city made a bad decision, but lets hope it turns out for the best" discussion rather than a " this city made a bad decicion and is damning us all to hell" discussion.

I drove by last night to see if I could find the dead horse that has been beaten to a pulp in this area.

The design is there. Is it perfect? Definitely not. Was the area tough to work in? Yes. Would there have been a better design with better circumstances? Probably. But the fact remains that this is here and we'll all just have to wait and see if there are problems or if there aren't. I think it is screwy too, but that doesn't really matter at this point. I'm just going to hope that all pedestrians and drivers in the area aren't complete imbeciles and can figure out how to get around this. It really isn't that complicated.

Both sides in this debate which I've read and stayed out of have valid points. It is obvious now that no one is changing their mind and realistically can't until the line is up and running.

Isn't this thread about the Urban Village and the sale of 18 acres, not the design of medians on South Boulevard?

If the city can clean the area up, I think this will be quite successful. I was in San Francisco last weekend and rode MUNI out to San Francisco State University. The M Line runs right down the middle of 17th St and has stations between the north and south lanes. The stop at SFSU has the Stonestown Galleria (a large shopping mall) on one side of the divided street, the other side has a large public playground.

I still say the biggest issue facing any of this is the current trashy development on the east side of the street.

I really hope the mixed use element of this area works out. Moving into center city doesn't mean I don't want to ever get out, and having Southend and Scaleybark along the rail line will give us easy access. My hopes are really to use this line to go out as far as Carolina Place, or the World Market/Target whatever shopping center, and these other hubs.

In any of the public information, or information that people know independently, does Crosland plan to now focus on developing their already owned land on the east side of the tracks?

I still think this area could be a very memorable place that people with consider as a true urban village in the future.

Even if the median design is quirky, sometimes quirky designs help create memorable places.

Archived