New Urban Village Near Scaleybark Light Rail Station

monsoon

CATS and CDOT have agreed to shut down the left turn lane on Southbound South Blvd at the Clanton Rd intersection for safety reasons:

-The entrance to the left turn lane is difficult to identify because it is preceded by a long at-grade crossing of the light rail tracks and South Boulevard and the transition into the northbound left turn lane. This presents a risk that vehicles may become stuck on the tracks or collide with LRT vehicles.

-The left turn lane is too short for the intersection queues and could result in vehicles stopped on the tracks at the grade crossing.

-There have already been four crashes in this area. (Note: All drivers involved in crashes were cited for driving while intoxicated.)

The rest of South Blvd in the Scaleybark station area has beem deemed safe by CATS safety consultant K&J Safety and Security Consulting Services, Inc

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The main reason to use the southbound left turn lane there is to U turn. Some people may prefer to do that, rather than block traffic trying to turn left earlier on South Blvd.

I bet it could be engineered to be safe. But with all the cost overruns, it's too hard now to revise and amend anything.

I think the second round will not be as lucrative for the city, but I think the city will basically not push as hard for some of the things that they were asking for before. We'll see, but I have a feeling this will still turn out okay for getting residential on the west side of the tracks.

While I would like to see a new library and a park, the piece I think the city most needs to try and keep, is the grocer. Even with transit, it would be bothersome to need to use it all the time to get to the Food Lion or Home Economist.

I think you'll find that the grocer will be there. They said they already had a tenant lined up, and that is obviously a paying customer that will help sell the condos. That is different that the library or even to a degree the affordable housing.

But I guess we won't know until we know.

• 2 weeks later...

Well we have really come full circle with the Scaleybark development. All of the developers that were originally bidding on this development are now all back in. Crosland, Scaleybark Partners, and Centro will be presenting their plans to the Charlotte City Council Economic Development Cmte this Thursday.

Click here to see the plan that Centro is proposing.

Click here for more details on the Centro proposal. It is pretty much the same as the earlier Banc of America proposal.

I'm glad everything is re-energized to get this project happening. I think Furman's plan is pretty good there. I don't remember liking that proposal when they were presented in a public meeting, but I guess my expectations have been re-leveled with the recent troubles. It would certainly be a fine project for the area. It has decent connectivity, decent density, decent mixture of uses, and a decent site plan. I am happy that at least part of it will have LEED certification, which is a about damn time for Furman.

Yes, all the proposals will include a grocer. A grocery store has committed to lease space, so any developer would be foolish to not build the space.

Pappas Properties will be recommended to the City Council for their mixed use development around the Scaleybark LRT Station. The Council will vote on the recommendation on May 29 meeting. For once, a project that isn't asking for public money!!!

According to this article, the city council's economic development and planning committee recommended the Pappas group for this project.

I hope the committee is right when they think that if this property is developed by Pappas across from Crosland's land, there should be a nice area of development.

Scaleybark Partners (Pappas Properties) had the best design way back at the public meeting. Hopefully that is still the case. 2 things going for them is that they have partnered with Greenhawk out of Raleigh and Citiventure out of Denver which both developers have a good design track records. Hopefully they will rub off on Pappas and he won't repeat the mistakes of Metropolitan and Birkdale here.

Despite the carping on UP, I think the Met shows some evolution since Birkdale. Pappas is improving their game. That, plus the partnering with other experienced developers, makes me think this will be a good project.

The article mentions that Crosland owns 30 adjacent acres, but poking around on Polaris, I can only find several parcels totaling about 8.75 acres attributed to Crosland, at the NE corner of South & Scaleybark. I suspect that the article MEANT to say that if Crosland had won, their adjacent parcel combined with this one would total 30 acres.

There are about 19 acres owned by the city and 6.5 acres owned by Cherokee along South between Freeland & Clanton. Is the Cherokee land (NW corner of Freeland & South) part of the RFP too? I don't remember what Cherokee's role is in this whole deal. They used to be part of Scaleybark Partners, but are they going it alone with their lot now?

At any rate, there's a lot of acreage in play here.

The article mentions that Crosland owns 30 adjacent acres, but poking around on Polaris, I can only find several parcels totaling about 8.75 acres attributed to Crosland, at the NE corner of South & Scaleybark. I suspect that the article MEANT to say that if Crosland had won, their adjacent parcel combined with this one would total 30 acres.

There are about 19 acres owned by the city and 6.5 acres owned by Cherokee along South between Freeland & Clanton. Is the Cherokee land (NW corner of Freeland & South) part of the RFP too? I don't remember what Cherokee's role is in this whole deal. They used to be part of Scaleybark Partners, but are they going it alone with their lot now?

At any rate, there's a lot of acreage in play here.

I am not sure of the exact acreage but Crosland does own or have under contract most everything on the east side of South Blvd. Next time you are poking around on Polaris you might want to look under Merrifield Partners...which is one of their subsidieres. They have already begun demolition of a couple buildings on that side of South Blvd.

No surprise here that the Scaleybark Partners plan won City Council approval. It is interesting to note that they won even though they did not offer the most money. Crosland offered more money, but the City Council chose Scaleybark Partners for their TOD experience and track record.

By this November they expect to have a temporary lot and small park built on the site. They will also be turning Englishman's into the Sales Center for the development.

I think that the Council made the right decision on this one.

I really liked Scaleybark Partner's proposal at the public meeting.

I'm glad to keep Furman focused on uptown, Crosland focused on the east side of the tracks, while selling this land to a group that has experience in getting suburban-minded people to live in more dense semi-urban housing (Pappas) and significant TOD experience (Citiventure).

I'm also extremely happy that this is moving forward, rather than failing after the problems they initially had with other city priorities.

EDIT: Replaced 'Cherokee' above with 'Citiventure' per UL's correction below.

Building these urban villages around the rail stations is really a great idea, you encourage other modes of transit besides car and you avoid low density sprawl. If you guys get a chance, you should check out what Arlington, VA has done with its 5 metro stops along Metro's orange line. Each is its own urban village, with mid and high rise offices, condos, hotels, shopping, etc, and now they are to the point of running into each other creating a very large district of high density mixed used development. It's really become a trendy, lively area that rivals the District itself. If Charlotte can get this going along the LR, it will really change the dynamic of the city. It would be really sweet to see a line of higher density development traveling down South Blvd.

Archived