Baton Rouge Growth and Development

NCB

Perkins Road near I-10 overpass bound for redevelopment

http://www.2theadvocate.com/news/7980027.html

The Perkins Road Hardware that burned down sold the building to a group that plans to turn the area into a mixed-use district.

Ortte said the project likely will include four or five condos and two restaurants, possibly three.

It

That sounds good. I'm abit confused about where this location is?

And on what kind of scale... when he says four or five condos.... is that literal number of units?

I think this is near the overpass. Kind of across the street from Pineta's and Ivar's??? Based on my memory, 4 to 5 condo's and 2 to 3 restaurants seems like a lot for this small of an area.

The Perkins Road Hardware property near the Interstate 10-Perkins Road overpass has been acquired by developer Donnie Jarreau for conversion into retail and residential space.

Chad Ortte, an agent for Donnie Jarreau Companies who brokered the deal and is helping develop the project, said Wednesday that two restaurants already have agreed to locate there. One is more casual, while the other is upscale, though he declined to identify them. He also is negotiating with a third restaurant.

The residential section will be a three-story condominium building with four or five units.

http://www.2theadvocate.com/news/7990237.html

perkins%20render%20061407.jpg

http://media.2theadvocate.com/designimages...r_business1.gif

The vacant lot in the heart of the Chimes Street area now known as North Gate will be developed as student housing and retail, the property

Here's more info on the project :thumbsup:

http://www.2theadvocate.com/news/7990237.html

The property is about 18,500 square feet or just under a half-acre. The lot has three connected buildings that front Perkins, along with a separate warehouse in the rear with a total of nearly 14,000 square feet.

Ortte said development likely would begin within the next few months. The project is scheduled for completion by the end of 2008.

The Perkins Road overpass area is unique because it is one of the few older commercial districts in town that is overwhelmingly local.

The shops on that stretch

Thanks for posting. :thumbsup: Yeah I have seen that before. DDD has been the cataylst in downtown's big turn around!!! It's was said today $250-$270million will be spent in new projects around the North Blvd. Town Square complex, including the RiverCenter expansion. This all definetly changes the dynamics of downtown BR!

>>Hey Gauge, you could have posted this in the North Blvd Town Square thread(last used on June 11th). That thread only has 5 replies, but 297 views. It also shows an aerial done on DDD website that I posted ;)

Good news for the Overpass area, which is already a pretty lively urban pocket in BR. I always though the Barber Shop that was just replaced by a golf store [Green Jacket I think] would be a nice spot for another locally-owned casual restaurant/bar. Oh well. Just to the west of this development there's a nice Italian restaurant and a Thai-type restaurant, then on the other side just down the street you've got Parrain's and Zippy's. Now that Books-A-Million has closed the doors on their space next to the old Walmart, hopefully the conversions planned for that huge chunk of property will get moving while the Perkins Hardware building is getting redeveloped too.

Thanks for posting dan/richyb!

Did anyone see in today's "Where we live" section in the advocate today that Stephen Moret said that a bunch of new stuff was coming up including some special surprises. He said that New Orleans based restaurants and a large entertainment venue was looking to set up shop here.

He also said that several New Orleans tours are taking a look at BR.

There are going to be some "neat" developments coming, he said.

I wonder what the entertainment venue might be and if it's a New Orleans based entertainment venue. It was unclear in his statement.

BR could use some more entertainment venues. The residential, commercial and industrial development is exciting but some more entertainment would be nice.

Hello drew6974, and welcome to the B.R. forum :D . That sounds very exciting. I hope what it ays is true. The large entertaiment venue could be refering to the Pinnacle project, but I hope it's something new. I agree with you, shopping is nice , but it's time for Baton Rouge to get some different entertainment options.

Hello drew6974, and welcome to the B.R. forum :D . That sounds very exciting. I hope what it ays is true. The large entertaiment venue could be refering to the Pinnacle project, but I hope it's something new. I agree with you, shopping is nice , but it's time for Baton Rouge to get some different entertainment options.

Thanks for the welcome. I really don't think it's pinnacle because of the "surprise" factor. Pinnacle wouldn't be a surprise at this time. Maybe it's the audobon deal?

Oh yeah, I had forgotten about that. I hope it is. I'm assumming (if the Audubon In.) it will have something to do with animals, maybe a riverarium with native fish like Richy(richyb38) said he would like to see or a rainforest atrium like I would like to see. Or maybe it could be the Advocate site? :dunno:

Edited by dan326

I saw this morning the hotel being renovated at I-10 at Acadian is going to be a Red Lion Hotel. Looks like from the website that there are none in this area now. Most are in Canada and out west.

Welcome aboard Drew.

I also saw the Red Lion Hotel sign at the old University Inn. That hotel will look like nothing in this area based upon what they are doing on the outside. I'm interested in seeing the final product.

Edited by byrde

Hey drew6974, welcome to the forums, thanks for all the good input. :thumbsup: Things are definetly picking up in the Capital City!

I saw the "Where We Live"... yesterday, it was a nice read. My eyes are always peeled anytime there is news about downtown projects and revitalization. 07' is an exciting year with the next wave of development.

Perkins Rowe and Towne Center as well as the 348-room Renaissance on Bluebonnet has been great to see. Projects like this help take BR to the next level. I am also encouraged with BRCC's continued expansion in Mid City.

>>I wrote to the Audubon Institute's website(hope it got to the right person) this past weekend to try to get the lastest scoop on their study and possible options. They will hopefully decide something this Summer for a "Tourist/Entertainment" destination as most of yall already know. I did request the RiverArium for the WaterWorks property. Maybe they will reply soon?? When they do...I sure will let yall know!

You are welcome bluff2085.

Edited by richyb83

I drove past the Gates at Citiplace Apts earlier this week and noticed they have cleared the last empty lot in the Citiplace Development. Anyone know what is to be built over there? I used to work in the 2 story office building in front of the Gates and a few years back, there were plans for a Hotel at one time.