Baton Rouge Growth and Development

NCB

I feel the LASM could be even better in it's own dedicated building although I haven't taken into consideration funding. I just don't think that location is best for a museum.

I do agree on that particular block, mr. bernhan, hopefully demand for office space peaks as I'm sure the market can't quite absorb another large apartment building just yet.

An aquarium would be perfect. Is it common for cities this size to not have their own aquarium?

Has anyone heard about the library yet? I wish they would change that awful design.

• Like 1

Hopefully, we haven't heard about it because they're changing that awful design.

Amen to that!

I feel the LASM could be even better in it's own dedicated building although I haven't taken into consideration funding. I just don't think that location is best for a museum.

I do agree on that particular block, mr. bernhan, hopefully demand for office space peaks as I'm sure the market can't quite absorb another large apartment building just yet.

An aquarium would be perfect. Is it common for cities this size to not have their own aquarium?

Has anyone heard about the library yet? I wish they would change that awful design.

An aquarium would be really cool, maybe that is how they can bring back ALIVE? I think that would be brilliant, and then connect it with the rest of the riverfront through the riverside parks/trails. 

It would be cool if LASM had its own museum building or even if they were two separate museums. An art museum and then a science one. 

Any chance BTR attracts more carriers?

Jet Blue, Southwest, Frontier, or even expanded service into Chicago or Washington with Delta or United?

IMO, that's one of the key ways Baton Rouge needs to improve now. The airport is too far out of the way for most flyers. Some carriers are using A319s, but it is still only connecting flights for the majors, whose connections in DC allow them to merge and cut flights and competition.

We need a discount carrier and more connecting flights to Chicago and DC. O&D traffic needs to pick up, and that won't happen without more competitive pressure on New Orleans.

I know Frontier cut back after the recession, but in markets where they've re-entered service to Dallas and Denver, they've done very well. Maybe they can get a Baton Rouge connection to Dallas or even DC.

Edited by cajun
  • Like 2

Any chance BTR attracts more carriers?

Jet Blue, Southwest, Frontier, or even expanded service into Chicago or Washington with Delta or United?

IMO, that's one of the key ways Baton Rouge needs to improve now. The airport is too far out of the way for most flyers. Some carriers are using A319s, but it is still only connecting flights for the majors, whose connections in DC allow them to merge and cut flights and competition.

We need a discount carrier and more connecting flights to Chicago and DC. O&D traffic needs to pick up, and that won't happen without more competitive pressure on New Orleans.

I know Frontier cut back after the recession, but in markets where they've re-entered service to Dallas and Denver, they've done very well. Maybe they can get a Baton Rouge connection to Dallas or even DC.

I see what you are saying, but I just can not see that happening. Maybe Southwest since it is one of the larger and more affordable airline companies of the three you mentioned, but there needs to be increased demand for those cities. The big thing now is that BTR advocates itself more and maybe expand a little in terms of size, but the most recent renovation looks great.

* The District...312-units...Perkins Road

* The Standard...274 units...Northgates of LSU

* The Exchange...304 units...Ben Hur south of LSU

* Sterling University Housing..235 units..Burbank south of LSU

Not even counting all of the new units going up downtown

Growth spurt in BR apartment construction to continue into next year

http://www.businessreport.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?category=daily-reportPM&date=20141028

Edited by richyb83

• 1 month later...

Thanks for posting...been waiting for a rendering...Domain(The Addison) was posted on the "Grove" thread as part of the development back early Summer/June 5th....looks really nice...like the Mediterranean-style architecture with Palm trees at 4 floors...

Here is another 4-story single building from last week at an interesting location...Tapestry Park (124 units) off Jefferson Hwy behind the new Panera Bread...waiting to see a rendering from this too

Some of the other condo's in article have already been mentioned like the luxury condo's next to IBM

Five new apartment, condo complexes proposed in BR

Separate applications for five new apartment complexes that could bring more than 550 more units to the Baton Rouge market were submitted today for consideration at the Jan. 20 city-parish Planning Commission meeting, with 380 of those being proposed in the LSU area. Over 2,700 new apartment units are already scheduled to come onto the market by the end of 2015.

http://www.businessreport.com/article/five-new-apartment-condo-complexes-proposed-br

Edited by richyb83

Anyone know of a plan to expland offerings at the Baton Rouge airport?

There are connectors to all the majors, but I was wondering if they'd ever go after JetBlue, Southwest, Frontier, and other discount carriers.

I know it's an uphill battle with New Orleans just down the street, but BTR does surprisingly well considering.

Just FYI, Southwest runs to Little Rock, Memphis, and Nashville. I think it could run a connecting flight to their hub and Lovell field and possibly Chicago and do quite well out of Baton Rouge.

Edited by cajun

With the new terminal at MSY, would BTR be able to handle it?

I know nothing of airport operations..

I think it is all dependent on how the need for direct connections grows. It would be pointless to expand right now, but after IBM, the Water Campus, and BRHD grow/open Baton Rouge will have a lot of demand for direct flights and more flights. Sure MSY will always be an option for many, but I can see BTR becoming quite a large airport in the future. BTR will be used primarily for business and research while MSY will be used more for tourist. 

I think it is all dependent on how the need for direct connections grows. It would be pointless to expand right now, but after IBM, the Water Campus, and BRHD grow/open Baton Rouge will have a lot of demand for direct flights and more flights. Sure MSY will always be an option for many, but I can see BTR becoming quite a large airport in the future. BTR will be used primarily for business and research while MSY will be used more for tourist. 

I can't say I agree. Maybe it's because of how long I've lived here but I've only known one person who flies out of BTR regularly. She lives in Zachary.

In the future, I think there will be a need for a Northshore airport, with the growing population and distance from MSY, I think it'll be another 10 years before one is proposed.

With the new terminal at MSY, would BTR be able to handle it?

I know nothing of airport operations..

I don't see why not. MSY takes some traffic away from BTR, but smaller airports with similar O-D traffic still have more options.

There used to be a nonstop flight to DC from Baton Rouge, and that's now gone. It was packed every time I flew on it.

Who the hell is running that airport?

Edited by cajun

I can't say I agree. Maybe it's because of how long I've lived here but I've only known one person who flies out of BTR regularly. She lives in Zachary.

In the future, I think there will be a need for a Northshore airport, with the growing population and distance from MSY, I think it'll be another 10 years before one is proposed.

I'm a little confused, doesn't NOLA have two somewhat large airports?

O-D traffic?

How frequent was that flight? Seems like it would get enough passengers, given that we are the capital.

Originating/Destination. I guess it's irrelevant since Baton Rouge is not a hub and all passenger traffic is O-D.

I fly in and out of Baton Rouge pretty frequently. The ticket prices are usually comparable to New Orleans, and I find the airport clean and well designed. I just wish we had more options.

Every time the Feds let airlines merge, Baton Rouge looses a connecting flight.

Edited by cajun
  • Like 1