Atlanta Beltline - Emerald Necklace

Guest donaltopablo

• 3 weeks later...

I couldn't read the article yesterday in the AJC but I saw something about the westside park falling through. Something about the county and city playing politics with the park over prison capacities. I cannot tell you how mad that makes me. Does anyone have any details? Is this a real concern or just political process deciding who gets paid off? The North Fulton 'nanna nanna boo boo we control you too' and the city's 'we want your money' politics is getting real old.

I couldn't read the article yesterday in the AJC but I saw something about the westside park falling through. Something about the county and city playing politics with the park over prison capacities. I cannot tell you how mad that makes me. Does anyone have any details? Is this a real concern or just political process deciding who gets paid off? The North Fulton 'nanna nanna boo boo we control you too' and the city's 'we want your money' politics is getting real old.

Basically, the county is asking the city to provide 500 beds (this has been an ongoing debate). The city claims to not have them. In addition to that, though, the county is asking the city to pay 20 million for the land, which was appraised between 10 and 12 million. There was another article about this recently, saying that land prices have risen well beyond the estimates for beltline land due to speculation. The city is understandably irritated, because land is being sold to them for well over the estimated tax value, meaning they are paying more than they budgeted for (whats new?) and they aren't getting that additional tax.

Essentially it seems the county is pulling a power play, because they know the city wants to buy the land, and ther was much fanfare over the quarry-turned-park.

Talk turns to Beltline transit -AJC

From the beginning, transit has been at the heart of Atlanta's Beltline project.

The Beltline began as a transit-only concept, growing out of Ryan Gravel's 1999 graduate school thesis that proposed running passenger trains on old freight corridors circling downtown. But over time, its scope grew to include parks, trails, housing and retail, en route to becoming a massive $2.8 billion effort that promises to change the face of the city

• 2 weeks later...

Atlanta again lobbies Fulton to OK quarry sale- AJC

Atlanta has reignited its campaign to get Fulton County's commissioners to vote Wednesday to sell its

Bellwood Quarry in Northwest Atlanta to the city so that the pit can be retooled into the biggest park, with a lake, along the Beltline.

The city has said that time is running out, and that the proposed Beltline park could be in jeopardy if the commissioners don't approve the sale this month.

The chief of staff to Atlanta Mayor Shirley Franklin, Greg Pridgeon wrote that the city's contract to buy out a company's mining contract expires April 28.

The sale of quarry is online. Good news for the Beltine.

Atlanta's plan to turn a quarry into the biggest park along the Beltline took a huge step forward Wednesday when Fulton County's Board of Commissioners agreed to sell the site to the city.

The board voted to sell its 137 acres for $15.2 million and access to 175 beds in the city's jail. The beds will help the county ease crowding at the Fulton County Jail.

The city has already struck a deal with the company that mines the quarry, Vulcan Materials Co., to buy out the mining contract for about $25 million.

Vulcan will take up two years to cease operating the gravel quarry, said Ray Weeks, who helped broker the deal with Vulcan and who urged commissioners to support the sale of the quarry.

The board's vote was 5-2, with commissioners Robb Pitts and Bill Edwards voting against the sale.

May seem like a dumb question, but is this thing actually going to happen(ie the Beltline)? What could stop it now?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

You know, I was reading about the Lochner plan, which is generally credited (or blamed, depending on your point of view) with laying out Atlanta's freeway system.

What's interesting is that he specifically envisioned a rail beltline around the city, about 2 miles out from the CBD -- and that was 60 years ago!!! He even estimated daily ridership of 42,000 people.

It's a shame this was pushed aside for so many decades, as there is no telling how profoundly it might have reshaped the city's growth. Still, it looks like we're finally getting around to realizing Lochner's vision from the 1940's, at least in part.

Edited by Andrea

Does anyone think that this Belt-line is a waste of money and time?

Atlanta is fortunate to have built the expensive spine, arms and legs (MARTA) during the 70's and 80's when land acquisition and construction costs were lower, and federal dollars were more available. Beltline, C-loop, Peachtree streetcar, and a few east-west routes across downtown and midtown could provide the rib cage that (please forgive the extended metaphor) encases the beating heart of the city.

In a city where other transportation options are readily available, residents can give themselves a $10K/year pay raise (conservative estimate) by NOT having a car. (When you need one, call Hertz.)

No, I don't think belt-line is a waste of money and time. Car ownership, on the other hand...

• 4 weeks later...

Bellwood Quarry sold to city - ABC

Atlanta has officially bought the Bellwood Quarry property from Vulcan Materials Co. and Fulton County for about $40 million.

This property will be converted into a new 300-acre park and greenspace to be developed along Atlanta's Beltline. It also will be the site of the city's 50-acre, 1.9-billion-gallon Westside drinking water reservoir.

Edited by Martinman

It escaped my notice until I received a MARTA flyer in the mail - but this is quite interesting to me: the Beltline now has two clear options regarding the Hulsey railyard alignment near Cabbagetown. Both plans completely bypass the yard -

One has the Beltline continuing north along the ROW from Memorial Dr, then turning east on Wylie St, then north on Moreland & then - some way - circumventing the Dekalb Ave intersection westward to the Beltline ROW alingment.

The second has the Beltline turning west on Memorial Dr after crossing the freeway, then north on Grant St by the King Center station, then eastward to the Beltline ROW alignment.

Both have their positives - the first mentioned alignment serves the Inman Park / Reynoldstown MARTA station & the new Edgewood retail center. The second serves the King Center station as well as the growing Memorial Dr corridor. Even though the second route is longer than the first option, it has less of an impact on neighborhoods as the first one would have to Reynoldstown. Also, the first route would be a nightmare to figure out how the trains would go from Moreland up to Dekalb Ave.

Of course I would prefer the second option, then the line would only be 3 blocks from my home.

...too bad I won't be living in it by then :(

• 3 weeks later...

I have not been able to find out much about the new development going in next to the Beltline tracks at DeKalb Ave. (not Edgewood). From Wayne Masson's website it looks like his property but I'm not sure. A parking structure wrapped in condos has been going in. There still isn't any signage for the property. I don't know why they wouldn't post anything. It seems sneaky to me but that doesn't make sense.

I have not been able to find out much about the new development going in next to the Beltline tracks at DeKalb Ave. (not Edgewood). From Wayne Masson's website it looks like his property but I'm not sure. A parking structure wrapped in condos has been going in. There still isn't any signage for the property. I don't know why they wouldn't post anything. It seems sneaky to me but that doesn't make sense.

Is this the one you're talking about?

Marble Lofts @ Inman Park

exteriorpoptw0.th.jpg

Edited by Martinman

teshadoh thanks for knowing what I'm talking about. I was started to think that I was imaginning it. There are several projects on the block of Edgwood, DeKalb & Krog. One faces Edgewood and is on the east side of the tracks. The other (the one I want to know more about) faces DeKalb and is on the west side of the tracks. My questions are, is it Wayne and what is it ($ & name).