Changes at 50 Monroe?

GRDadof3

Now im a little worried there might be 2 big empty towers on Monroe...

Lets hope they get them suckas FILLED! and keep them both running smoothly into construction. Being they are both banks, this makes it ever more likely that the project will get done too.

And Huntington can consolidate two offices to get even more height, of course even Macatawa can too, if they move their HQ to Grand Rapids. Then 5/3rd gets in on the action, tears down its old office, and builds a bright shiny new 400 ft building at its current site too, then by 2015 the skyline looks incredible. Then Meijer says Hey, lets move DT, and builds another big building at Market and Fulton, coercing Amway to dismantle their Ada HQ, and move DT to Lyon and Ottawa, only L&O isnt the tallest building in GR anymore thanks to 5/3rd so before Meijer goes ahead with their building plans Amway and Meijer merge, forming a big giant GRsupercompany, which then consolidates at L&O , and goes 500FT! :yahoo:

Right? :P

You ever think about going to work for the Right Place Work Program? Even if it's dreaming, thinking bigger and better is the way to go. :yahoo:

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply

with all these new buildings population dt must skyrocket........... what im getting at is the riverfront prop. could be the next NFL stadium or at least NBA :silly:

The Van can be expanded to meet the demands of the NBA. I would like to see a AA, or AAA baseball team on that site though :D if something else doesnt take shape.

with all these new buildings population dt must skyrocket........... what im getting at is the riverfront prop. could be the next NFL stadium or at least NBA :silly:

NOOOOO!!!!

Sorry gvsusean, but I'm not a big fan of stadiums on the waterfront. They look good in aerial photographs, but that's about it. :P

Downtown's population is set to EXPLODE in the next five years. The weirdest thing is Spring isn't here yet, when you tend to have building announcements. We may be in for some more :w00t:

Snoogit: http://rightplace.org/Index/

NOOOOO!!!!

Sorry gvsusean, but I'm not a big fan of stadiums on the waterfront. They look good in aerial photographs, but that's about it. :P

Downtown's population is set to EXPLODE in the next five years. The weirdest thing is Spring isn't here yet, when you tend to have building announcements. We may be in for some more :w00t:

Snoogit: http://rightplace.org/Index/

Do you think the coming gains in population downtown will be enough to reversre the overall trend of population loss in the city?

Do you think the coming gains in population downtown will be enough to reversre the overall trend of population loss in the city?

No, I don't think so. At least not before 2010. After that, I think so. I guess when I said population, I was mainly talking downtown worker population, which I think will increase by 5000 - 7000 over that time period. Add that to a residential increase of 2000 - 3000, and another 1000 students.

I thought Lyon at Ottawa was cancelled because of hieght restrictions, pheasability, and the city would not compromise. Aren't there still alot of NIMBY'S, when it comes to downtown Grand Rapids still.

I thought it was approved, and was about 2 weeks to groundbreaking?

I think Prankster's right. Building design is going more toward the Mies side, with straight lines and semi-transparent glass. My two Stratego pieces are too 90's. I'll see if I can re-do my drawing :thumbsup:

:lol: they look fine, and would probably get approved by the planning commission :P

I think that building looks like a glass jail, I am a fan of the glass towers with different shapes everywhere, and colored glass. For instance, Town Center Tower 1 in "Downtown Southfield", the one with fifth thirds name on top of it, would look great in downtown Grand Rapids. would go Great at a spot like 50 Monroe.

5th3rd1.jpg

:blink: I find that look a bit dated, and frankly cold/imposing in a heavy pedestrian area like that personally. That was probably a bad example. Maybe a smaller version of some of Lohan's other work:

111swebnew_1.jpg

ubsweb_1.jpg

The trend is to go semi-transparent on the outside, look at the new Marriott, Devos Health Sciences Bldg, YMCA, courthouse, Van Andel Arena, etc..

Are you referring to 50 Monroe greedo? or Market & Fulton? 50 Monroe is just going to be an addition to the existing 50 Monroe (pretty much an office building from what I hear). I wonder if they will do ground floor retail/restaurant though?

edit: I moved it.

Archived