Richmond off-topic postings

Cotuit

Well since that 90% of any type of media leans left I think it wouldn't hurt for it to stay on the right.

I always ask myself, "What FACTS do people have to back up this statement?" I mean I hear it a lot and it's a popular thing to say along with media bashing in general but it has never been explained as anything more than a baseless conservative slogan. I mean, is it because the media holds politicians accountable and criticizes their decisions? I don

Believe it or not, there is such a thing as off-topic even for the off-topic thread. We should endeavor to keep our political post in the coffee house forum. As we all know those discussions tend to turn nasty quickly and I'd hate to have Richmond cluttered up with all of that. :D

Seriously. Please don't ignore my earlier comments guys. We really try to keep all of that stuff in the coffee house forum, this is not a political forum.
Just out of curiosity, vdogg, where does one find that "coffee house" forum? And while we're on "off-topic" discussion, you know what I miss? I miss the scroll on the old home page listing comments from any region as they were typed.

I promise to behave myself and not indulge in political banter - at least not in this thread - and probably not at all since I don't know where coffee house is! :)

Just out of curiosity, vdogg, where does one find that "coffee house" forum? And while we're on "off-topic" discussion, you know what I miss? I miss the scroll on the old home page listing comments from any region as they were typed.

I promise to behave myself and not indulge in political banter - at least not in this thread - and probably not at all since I don't know where coffee house is! :)

Sorry, I probably should've have posted a link. :blush:

Here you go Coffee House Forum. Enough politics to choke a moderately sized donkey. Be forewarned, If you go in there go in armed. :lol:

Our Martin Advertising Agency in Shockoe Slip is courting some big boys! They have survived a recent cut and are now among only 3 contenders for the huge Home Depot account. Both of Martin's competitors are large NYCity shops.

They're also still in the running for the BMW account, which may be awarded to one of four competing agencies at the end of October.

Martin, now the agency of choice for Credit Suisse Group, has resigned the AXA account. Both companies are in the finance business.

Edited by burt

So, coupe, I read on the other site that you attended the drenched National Folk Festival last night. What a shame that rain had to interfere! Have read that events are being moved under large tents since Mother Nature is showing no mercy.

There is a touring show at The Landmark, and the Carpenter Center is closed for renovation, so there is no hope of moving events under the hard cover of large indoor venues.

And the food vendors!!! What a shame - and what a loss!! :cry:

1. I read the martin news.... AWESOME!!

2. Yes I went. there was a pretty good crowd considering the situation. The GRTC buses were still running in full force to the shiuttle locations. My only thought was that they could use the convention center......lots of space and different rooms for different acts....

1. I read the martin news.... AWESOME!!

2. Yes I went. there was a pretty good crowd considering the situation. The GRTC buses were still running in full force to the shiuttle locations. My only thought was that they could use the convention center......lots of space and different rooms for different acts....

3. That's a great idea, Coupe Why didn't they move inside at the huge Convention Center and The Coliseum? There's enough space in those buildings to hold two folk festivals!

My thoughts exactly.. I guess the Convention Center may have been too expensive? However, to have it outside like that in all the muck really does an injustice IMO. I went again today... saw some good bluegrass and zydeco, and had some curry chicken and a lamb gyro. MUCH BETTER crowd today.... definitely in the 10's of thousands. And I actually saw tons of people on the canal walk. Gotta go tomorrow to see this old Ralph Stanley guy..

My thoughts exactly.. I guess the Convention Center may have been too expensive? However, to have it outside like that in all the muck really does an injustice IMO. I went again today... saw some good bluegrass and zydeco, and had some curry chicken and a lamb gyro. MUCH BETTER crowd today.... definitely in the 10's of thousands. And I actually saw tons of people on the canal walk. Gotta go tomorrow to see this old Ralph Stanley guy..

Good for you! Was the rain pouring down? It's been drenching NYCity since last night and is expected to go on and on and on....

If you're right in your 10's of thousands estimate, then I'm really proud of the old town.

I saw and heard on TV today that lots of downtown Norfolk is flooded. The city's old drainage pipes couldn't handle the deluge. I hope the Norfolk flooding was nothing like Gaston which struck Richmond a year ago and that minimal damage resulted, as well as no personal loss.

Edited by burt

I saw and heard on TV today that lots of downtown Norfolk is flooded. The city's old drainage pipes couldn't handle the deluge. I hope the Norfolk flooding was nothing like Gaston which struck Richmond a year ago and that minimal damage resulted, as well as no personal loss.

I was just down there about 2 hours ago and no signs of flooding. Whatever happened was probably localized and drained away soon after the rain stopped (I thought it was never going to end :o ).

I was just down there about 2 hours ago and no signs of flooding. Whatever happened was probably localized and drained away soon after the rain stopped (I thought it was never going to end :o ).

Hmmmm! That's good news, vdogg. I heard it on several cable shows as well as on the Weather Channel when they were describing the deluge affecting the east coast - a specific mention that downtown Norfolk was flooded. They do tend to exaggerate!

According to emoticons on the RTD's Richmond weather chart, it appears the rain has ended and partly sunny skies are today's forecast!!!

By the way, I only saw one story about the American Folk Festival by Clark Bustard in today's paper (online). But it was very upbeat saying that at least 20,000 (some said double that number) braved the deluge to have a great time and listen to good music yesterday.

There sure is a lot going on down there this week, despite the inclemency!!! The touring LITTLE SHOP OF HORRORS at the Landmark, DISNEY ON ICE at The Coliseum, and wasn't it First Friday Art Crawl in the gallery district and High on the Hog up on Libby Hill? Not to mention other theatre, dance and music offerings at many other venues. The old town is really jumping! :D:thumbsup:

Edited by burt

Ukrops hosted 80 representatives from 40 independent grocery chains from as far away as British Columbia last week. They all came to learn how Ukrops maintains its top market share in Central Virginia. More in today's business section of the RTD.

Edited by burt

there were probably double the number of people today at the National Folk Festival... Overall I was very impressed...this event is a treasure and it's something Richmond can hold onto for another 2 years. There were all kinds of other events around town this weekend as well. Even a greek festival in Hopewell!

This is the second year that Ukrop's has hosted all these independent grocery stores. I know that when I worked there, our store had a community room/meeting room. Our store was frequently shown off to big whigs from other chains. A signature book in the meeting room had execs listed from as far away as Japan, UK, Germany, and others.

there were probably double the number of people today at the National Folk Festival... Overall I was very impressed...this event is a treasure and it's something Richmond can hold onto for another 2 years. There were all kinds of other events around town this weekend as well. Even a greek festival in Hopewell!

This is the second year that Ukrop's has hosted all these independent grocery stores. I know that when I worked there, our store had a community room/meeting room. Our store was frequently shown off to big whigs from other chains. A signature book in the meeting room had execs listed from as far away as Japan, UK, Germany, and others.

According to reports, at least 70,000 turned out Saturday and Sunday for the rain drenched National Folk Festival (no figures were quoted for Friday, but there must have been some turn-out that day and night). Some say these attendence figures are low estimates. Considering that they were hoping for 100,000 under hoped for sunny skies, officials have to be pleased with the turn-out.

Coupe, I'm glad you spoke out (on RCW) about the inexcusable trash and algae in the canal. How can anyone defend it? It's not just a Festival problem, it's chronic! At minimum, some body in a boat with a rake could at least rid the canal of trash. I think it's a shocking dereliction by whoever is responsible for maintenance.

Bet you didn't see any flags on those poles, either, did you? And why would you expect the fountains to be flowing? They don't give a damn, that's why! I loathe inaction and indifference!!!

Burt...I think this event would be a perfect occasion to raise flags on those poles, but as you suspect, they were naked. In fact, I saw other sets of flag poles naked. Some at least had an American flag but had the two companion poles flagless.

As I walked over that large pedestrian bridge onto Brown's Island over the weekend, it was always packed with people. I'd watch them look down into the water, knowing they were thinking "ugh that algae is disgusting"....could it have been because it didn't rain for like a month? Maybe, but in any case, something should have been done to fix it. Same goes for the trash in the canal. When you are on display to so many people, it should be an obligation to have that cleaned up. Frankly, it should always be clean anyways.

And I would agree with those attendance estimates. There were probably about 5,000 people there on friday night...Next year, weather permitting, I guarantee this event hits over 125,000 people.