Richmond off-topic postings

Cotuit

Haha, Im here guys. School begins in less than a week! So Ive been getting ready and all. Unless its development news, I dont really know enough to get into details about much of anything else. I was going to go downtown this weekend, but that gosh darn Ernesto ruined my plans. I wanted to get some pictures of the Richmond Cold Storage Building down in the Bottom. There are old factories in that area that i wanted to mess with on the design program i have. I could revive them to show what that area might look like if those buildings were renovated. But until I get a free weekend, I wont be able to go downtown.

Cam, do you by any chance have pictures of that area of the Bottom? Around the Richmond Cold Storage Building? Coupe?

Yes, I have the entire Bottom photographed from Hospital St to the river. I also have Shockoe Creek photographed from various points from its "spring" to the river. And I have the the valley of Bacon's Quater Branch taken from above the viaducts. My avatar is one of the cold storage buildings. I just haven't uploaded them.. the RCS pics were done about two weeks ago.

So according to channel 6, from yesterday to tomorrow we're supposed to get 8" of rain. That ought to quit the whining about a drought... all that daggone rain we've had in my end of town. They wouldn't holler about drought and water restrictions if we didn't have all these communities trying to look perfect and plastic with ultra green grass... grass always comes back!

Guessing how quiet it's been since the hours I left work and the hours I last posted... we're all out buying our boats... The wind is picking up and it's nice and cool! This weather has me so ready for fall! And I see in the west, the trees have started turning, especially the sycamores. On this side they're still green :) But I fear tomorrow, I hate tornado threats.

Edited by Cadeho

I hope today's flooding in Richmond is not as devastating as in the past. I am keeping my eyes peeled to the Weather Channel for reports.

One of the storm related stories in today's TD says that the city is opening the East Gravity Outlet to alleviate flooding in The Bottom. It is described as being a culvert "east of the 14th Street Bridge".

I'll bet Cam could pinpoint it for us and fill in details.

That old baffling question! All those maps look so weird, as if they had the creek going either over or under the canal. I think the creek is channeled below the canal.

Oh I wanted to explain the "Bah!" That was to that technical name they're using. Haha.

Edited by Cadeho

The mayor has ordered a mandatory evacuation in the Battery Park neighborhood due to severe flooding in the Park, as well as a broken sewer line that has further contributed to the flooding.

-from a city press release

Take a look at the slide show accompanying the storm story today. It shows water in Battery Park coming up to the rim of the basketball net.

Take a look at the slide show accompanying the storm story today. It shows water in Battery Park coming up to the rim of the basketball net.

That water has to go somewhere... and that end of Battery park is a ravine connected to Bacon Quarter Branch's valley which merges with Shockoe Valley down the way...

Just got back from walking the dogs (the backyard's a mudhole), and Westover's a mess with downed trees & limbs. Westover Hills Blvd has closed twice at the south end of the bridge due to trees across the road and I understand Riverside Drive isn't pretty either. Still, we dodged a bullet.

I'm glad the storm's center didn't go west of us, putting us in tornado threat. That's like the only thing I fear with minimal tropical systems.

You know... maybe the water won't flow from Battery Park into Shockoe Valley... but I think it would have been neat to have filled that ravine with water and had a lake community in the city.

I really didn't expect the storm to get as bad as it did down here. It shifted a lot further east than originally predicted. Va. Beach got 10 inches and there are still some streets closed and power outages. It was no isabel by any stretch of the imagination but it sure did pack more of a punch than most were expecting down here.

I'm glad the storm's center didn't go west of us, putting us in tornado threat. That's like the only thing I fear with minimal tropical systems.

You know... maybe the water won't flow from Battery Park into Shockoe Valley... but I think it would have been neat to have filled that ravine with water and had a lake community in the city.

That would be nice. I glad the water could NEVER run from battery park to Shockoe bottom, a School, gulf coarse and many blocks of apartments are in the way plus on the other side the grond level goes up like a hill. But having battery park as a lake would make the Northside look alot better!

Ok kiddies! Back to school! March! Sharpen those pencils! Smell that chalk! Bring out your abacuses! Heal that paper cut! Fill that brain!

I love the smell of chalk dust in the morning, smells like education!

Isn't Virginia one of the few states that delays school opening until after Labor Day so that the amusement parks can operate longer with school kid employees?