Va. Beach Town Center project 2

urbanvb

On 12/12/2019 at 11:12 AM, 23320 said:

Gather Workspaces leased 28,547 square feet of office space in the Divaris-leased and -managed Town Center Block 3 building located at 249 Central Park Ave. in the Town Center of Virginia Beach.

The press release mentions that office space in Town Center is now 98% leased. Hopefully this provides some motivation to move forward with the new tower. 

It looks like tenant build-out for Gather has begun.

IMG_6617.thumb.jpg.67fe707efd4e5cde92652c147556f7ba.jpg

IMG_6615.thumb.jpg.3fc0b1880418e5bc3c8866fdf8de3ec8.jpg

• 2 months later...

20 minutes ago, urbanvb said:

Another entertainment option is good for TC. :)

I think the one thing TC lacks is a true family-friendly option. The bars and restaurants are cool, but there's nothing really in that area for everyone. I think this a great thing for the city.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, metalman said:

There’s a crane truck along side ol’ Dick’s.  Closed down the road there.  Are they making alterations to the building or just bringing in heavy gear?

I know that there is a lot of work that they are doing on the inside, but I haven't gone past recently so I don't know how far along it is.  This video gives a pretty good idea of what will be going on inside in the coming months (it was filmed at another Apex Entertainment location when it was being outfitted).  The structure for the Go Karts (6:30 into the video) has some serious metal that has to go in at some point.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 3/24/2020 at 2:31 PM, 23320 said:

Divaris quote from Virginia Business article

Virginia Beach-based Divaris Real Estate Inc., which has big-box retail clients, says it hasn’t been seeing as much of a short-term impact as other commercial real estate firms. 

“Quite frankly, we are still involved in a bunch of new leases with national retailers who don’t look at a next-month situation,” says Divaris CEO and Chairman Gerald Divaris. “I certainly believe there will still be a lot of business going on.”

He doesn’t address any projects specifically but I view his comments as encouraging. 

Wonder if he still feels this way 5 mos later

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
2 hours ago, BFG said:

The city really needs to reconsider light rail expansion if this is the case. 

Should it happen, I wonder if Norfolk gets the ball rolling on redeveloping MacArthur or Military?

Honestly, I believe that if VB had had any balls, they would’ve simply extended the LRT from Newtown Rd to Town Center and then built a pedestrian bridge across VB blvd to Pembroke Mall. Without a referendum. After all, they had just had a referendum which favored LRT by a landslide. Then...after connecting LRT to Town Center, they could’ve had a referendum on whether the line should go anywhere else.

I mean, can you really imagine not taking the opportunity to extend the Tide just a few measly miles to the Center of the City and its 3/4 of $1 billion in recent econ development?! ...(and hoping of course that Norfolk would eventually connect LRT to the airport and onto the Base...). How shortsighted!! Perhaps bus rapid transit could have connected the oceanfront to LRT @ Town Center, if LRT to the Oceanfront was rejected or proved too costly. 

As far as Military Circle goes, I know that Norfolk has a grand vision there which would be similar to Town Center and the future iteration of Pembroke. 

Edited by baobabs727
  • Like 4

Most people forget that the very first vote in VB with light rail was voted "Yes." It was the NIMBY's that made VB revote that got the "No" vote. I honestly don't see how going from Newton to VB CityCenter would cost that much. The land is already cleared. Just lay down the track and it's done. A station at Witchduck, CityCenter.... Done! It shouldn't be that difficult.

• Like 1

In typical Hampton Roads fashion, TPTB dragged their feet long enough to give the NIMBYs an opening. Had they conducted studies faster, and started laying tracks in say, 2014, it would've been done by now. The only thing that blows my mind even more is that the state was ready to pay for 2/3 of the project. You would've spent less on the extension than you would the service road and infrastructure  to that arena.

• Like 2

• 4 months later...