South Carolina's Economic Engine

The_sandlapper

Over the month of March a lot of announcements have been made for Greenville...

South Financial is building its corporate headquarters along I-85-- employing 600 new people!

An Undisclosed company really wants to locate in Greenville at the Matrix Business Park- creating 250 jobs over 5 years.

And Today, Level One, a Greenville company, announced the addition of 125 jobs THIS year.

That's almost 1000 new jobs coming to Greenville County that has been announce this month!

Also, Charleston is a possible location for a new plant. That'd be HUGE for the area! SO, SC's employment may have been down in Feburary, but the future is certainly looking bright SC!

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In addition, you have bank headquarters planned for DT Florence, significant venture capital investment in Columbia, and some cool towers going up in Atlantic Beach (not necessarily economically-related, but I had to throw it in there :) ); all in all, not too shabby.

Oh yeah, and the state's average personal income saw an increase as well. I believe we're now 43rd in the nation when it comes to that. Not the best, but at least some progress has been made.

South Financial is building its corporate headquarters along I-85-- employing 600 new people!

An Undisclosed company really wants to locate in Greenville at the Matrix Business Park- creating 250 jobs over 5 years.

And Today, Level One, a Greenville company, announced the addition of 125 jobs THIS year.

That's almost 1000 new jobs coming to Greenville County that has been announce this month!

Also, Charleston is a possible location for a new plant. That'd be HUGE for the area! SO, SC's employment may have been down in Feburary, but the future is certainly looking bright SC!

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

A recent study I reported earlier showed that Greenville County would outpace the state and national job growth rates in 2006 by an impressive amount. Many new jobs are/were expected to be expansions by local businesses, so this momentum comes as no surprise to many at least. :shades:

A recent study I reported earlier showed that Greenville County would outpace the state and national job growth rates in 2006 by an impressive amount. Many new jobs are/were expected to be expansions by local businesses, so this momentum comes as no surprise to many at least. :shades:

Which study would that be, Skyliner? The only study I'm aware of concerning job growth in 2006 is this one from USC, which we discussed in this thread. According to that economic forecast report, Charleston County would eclipse other counties in the state in job growth by a substantial amouint.

Actually Skyliner is right. You don't need a study; just look around and you can and will see why Greenville will outpace the state and national average for job growth this year. :)

-Hopefully Columbia, Charleston, and other parts of the state will do the same.

Oh OK; I was under the impression that it was a study that gave economic forecasts for all metro areas in the state. At any rate, it's still good news. :thumbsup:

I posted some other economic rankings earlier in the thread here, although a few have come out with more recent rankings since (like Expansion Management and Milken Institute). The Forbes "Best Places for Business" list for this year should be out in the early part of next month.

Columbia usually fares pretty well in the forbes rankings. A couple of years ago it was ranked something like 28 right behind Charlotte. It's funny everybody loves these list unless of course their city isn't listed. Me I don't care personally one way or another but I think it is a good tool to establish some national "buzz" about a city for what its worth.

^True. I would also probably say that the reduction in the number of state government jobs plays a part in Columbia not receiving high marks at times, which in actuality is a good thing. If state government is consolidating services, this results in increased efficiency--but at the expense of some jobs. It also demonstrates why Columbia cannot and should not continue to rely on state government to enhance the local economy. Thankfully, things are changing in that regard.

Yes, I'm quoting myself :lol:

More good news for the SC economy

Courtesy of Skyliner:

"BSA's call center just off of Pleasantburg and I-385 is expected to add over 60 new jobs this year.

Also, United Parcel Service's call center in Greenville is expected to add over 100 new jobs this year."

:yahoo: JOBS JOBS and more JOBS!

I'm not simply trying to beat the drum that Greenville is the only city in great health these days, but I report what good is happening here to contribute to the discussion.

In this week's Street Talk column in the business insert of Sunday's Greenville News, one of the paragraphs was about Greenville County having the lowest jobless rate in the Upstate, and lower than the state average. This is very positive considering the same county is also the most populated. There's some real strength for you. :tough:

Yes, I'm quoting myself :lol:

More good news for the SC economy

Courtesy of Skyliner:

"BSA's call center just off of Pleasantburg and I-385 is expected to add over 60 new jobs this year.

Also, United Parcel Service's call center in Greenville is expected to add over 100 new jobs this year."

:yahoo: JOBS JOBS and more JOBS!

Just announced today:

The formerly undisclosed company previously dubbed "Project Hudson," is Gordon Food Services, the largest privately-owned food distributor in North America. They are planning a new distribution plant at The Matrix in Greenville County, which will add 250 new jobs. :shades:

Yeah, here's the story about Gordon Food in the Greenville News.

http://www.greenvilleonline.com/apps/pbcs....INESS/604080323

And here's another story from the Greenville News about job losses -- more than what's being gained above.

http://www.greenvilleonline.com/apps/pbcs....INESS/604080318

South Carolina still has a big problem with the shriking textile industry.

Archived