The Food Thread

gs3

I dined tonight at The Olympian on Congaree Road. They have very good Greek and Italian cuisine. Their pizzas are among the best in Greenville.

Has anyone noticed Lone Star with the lights off? I think they closed that location about two months ago. If a restaranteer does not mind Congaree Road's busy traffic, it would make a great location for whoever moves in.

I hadn't noticed that either. I would imagine that John Paul's Armadillo Oil Company may have impacted Lone Star's business more directly than anything else along Congaree though.

I agree about the location. This would be a great location for a prospect, especially considering the number of employees, visitors, and even patients that may soon be frequenting the nearby Patewood Memorial Campus soon. Someone could draw some good business from that crowd alone.

One thing I did notice on Congaree recently is that the "early bird special" at Myabi is at an all-time low ($10.99) and they're advertising it with a huge banner on the front of the restaurant.

Lone Star has seemed to have trouble nationwide. They never had the loyal following of Outback or even Longhorn. I can tell you, my couple of times at Lone Star were not good exeperiences, including a time where the waiter charged our meal 4 times to my credit card, thinking he was voiding a mistake. Didn't realize until I got my bill, and then the management at the restaurant didn't want to clear it up.

After putting it off for too long, I finally visited Paris Cafe on North Main Street this evening. Let me tell you all that this is another special gem for Greenville and a new favorite of mine! I highly recommend making it a regular place to grab breakfast, lunch, or even a small dinner. This place is the essence of French romance and charm, but located in one of the most enchanting downtowns in the USA. The owner speaks with a heavy French accent and is extremely generous to all his patrons. I encourage everyone to get over and support his efforts and make the cafe a permanent fixture along our eclectic Main Street. Being new to the area, it seems many pedestrians are unaware of the affordability of authentic French pastries, breads, soups, sandwiches, and more inside this quaint shop. I have a strong hunch you'll fall head over heels in love with the atmosphere and the food. :wub: So give it a try this week! :thumbsup:

from the web-site it looks like another bar that i will never go to...Young Proffessional crowd usually means yuppies and frat kids (not my crowd) Non-Stop Energy and Fun atmosphere sounds like a dance club......great (not my thing again) Casual but Fashionable attire not sure what thst's supposed to mean but i'm usually not too fashionable......

....oh well

all i want is one good hole in the wall dive bar that has live music (rock bands...not Gathering Spot / Connelly's bands) loud music, dirty bar, cheap beer...is that too much to ask

I think that was a crazy game of poker and I lost it all.

The menu does look good. I don't get the Steelers thing though, but I suppose if Sharkey's can be run by Eagles Fans, Dixie can be run by Steelers Fans. :thumbsup: It's all good.

There are tons of Steelers fans around Greenville. I know many people who have moved here from the Pittsburgh area. I am personally glad to see them get such recognition, even though the name "Dixie" shares little in common with the "steel nation." Being a fan myself (family ties), I am not too disappointed in this aspect of the tavern. It will be interesting to see how well business will be and if the atmosphere will be any different than Tiki Bob's in the end. I'm guessing very little.

There are tons of Steelers fans around Greenville. I know many people who have moved here from the Pittsburgh area. I am personally glad to see them get such recognition, even though the name "Dixie" shares little in common with the "steel nation." Being a fan myself (family ties), I am not too disappointed in this aspect of the tavern. It will be interesting to see how well business will be and if the atmosphere will be any different than Tiki Bob's in the end. I'm guessing very little.

Alright Skyliner! Go Steelers!

I probably won't frequent this place very often, but I will have to catch a Steelers game there for sure!

If we've talked about this or it's been posted, then accept my apologies.....works been crazy and I'm having both short and long term memory loss. :P For some reason, this is deja vu, and either I or somebody else I think posted, but Soby is looking at opening another restaurant concept, this one with a Mediterranean theme to be located in Riverplace. I know this has been posted, but can't find. Man my brain is fried.

If we've talked about this or it's been posted, then accept my apologies.....works been crazy and I'm having both short and long term memory loss. :P For some reason, this is deja vu, and either I or somebody else I think posted, but Soby is looking at opening another restaurant concept, this one with a Mediterranean theme to be located in Riverplace. I know this has been posted, but can't find. Man my brain is fried.

I do not recall that being posted here, gsupstate. Thanks for letting us know! This sounds like a great addition to the restaurant scene. Knowing Soby's ownership, this will be a first class establishment that is done the right way. :thumbsup: