Lima, Peru

gs3

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Those are nice pics. What other cities/places did you visit? I've only ever been to Iquitos (not exactly everyone's first pick as a destination...), so I'm interested to know more about other places in Peru.

Unfortunatelly, I have not visited Lima. I live in Quito, so am very close to that culture.

:ph34r:

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

What time of year were these pictures taken in?

These were from a February trip. Their summer. A little warm and hazy....really like their winters better...cool 50's and comfortable 60's. :)

Great pictures, I must agree that it's a beautiful place. What's Lima's population?

I think Lima is somewhere between 8 and 9 million now. Very large.

• 1 year later...

Too bad the pictures don't show up now.... :blink: I'll be going to Lima, Cusco and Machu Picchu in July. I can't wait to see Cusco. Lima is said to have some great museums and architecture, but I have been warned against staying in the downtown area. Consequently, we'll be staying in San Isidro.

Too bad the pictures don't show up now.... :blink: I'll be going to Lima, Cusco and Machu Picchu in July. I can't wait to see Cusco. Lima is said to have some great museums and architecture, but I have been warned against staying in the downtown area. Consequently, we'll be staying in San Isidro.

Hi Tom,

I'll pull the old photos from my file (have some new ones from a trip earlier this year as well) and repost in the next few days.

What hotel are you in? I usually stay in the San Isidro area as well, or out in the Jockey Plaza area at Golf Los Incas. Miraflores is an excellent area as well, probably the most expensive though.

We will be at the Swissotel. I know, not very Peruvian, but it's supposed to be a good place. I had thought about the Gran Hotel Bolivar on Plaza San Martin, but have been warned away from staying downtown. We'll be flying to Cusco and (I hope) taking the train to Machu Picchu. I'll be getting the train tickets this week. We have three nights as yet undecided, but I was thinking of visiting the Sacred Valley. Is it worth the time? I have heard that there are a number of sights worth seeing there. We will not have a car, so I suppose we will have to arrange transportation somehow. I was thinking that we would not waste a night in Lima at the end of our trip. The return flight is in the evening, so I'm hoping to fly back from Cusco in the morning. It would have been nice to go to Puno or Arequipa, but the logistics of doing so are a bit complicated with our short visit. I look forward to your pictures and any advice you could pass on! Any restaurants in Lima that we should investigate?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Tom,

Sorry this took me a while to post. Here a few photos from past trips.

CIMG0486.jpg

CIMG0489.jpg

CIMG0447.jpg

CIMG0463.jpg

CIMG0464.jpg

CIMG0465.jpg

CIMG0456.jpg

CIMG0479.jpg

CIMG0485.jpg

Below are some photos of the Miraflores Park Hotel:

CIMG0477.jpg

CIMG0385.jpg

CIMG0386.jpg

Used to stay at the Miraflores Park, now stay at the Golf Los Incas (huge suites, hot tubs on your balcony with teak furniture, overlooking the city, marble baths, two free Pisco Sours every evening, turndown service, spa, etc).....all for only about 89.00 US. Amazing!!

If you do get some time to spend in Lima I highly recommend it. :thumbsup: I like Lima better than Santiago, Buenos Aires, or Bogota. The people seem more real and more welcoming. And then Peruvian food......WOW, WOW......it's up there with the French and the Japanese as an excellent cullinary country. There is a great restaurant on a pier (oceanfront).....can not for the life of me remember the name, but every driver knows it. It juts out into the Pacific.....wonderful outdoor dining.....the best ceviche and best Pisco Sours. White wooden building, almost looks English. You pretty much can't go wrong with any restaurant in Lima. I've never had a bad meal there. :)

I would suggest hanging out in the following three areas....Miraflores Park, San Isidro and Surco. They all seem to be the three nicest areas of the city. When I'm there I hire a car service and have the driver / car for the entire day. He drops me off and waits while I'm in meetings, shopping or eating. Shockingly cheap!!!!!

Anyway, have a great time!!!!!!

Thanks for posting these photos! I think we are going to be in Lima, Cuzco and possibly the Sacred Valley. A friend told me that 4 nights in Lima was too much, but I'm beginning not to think so. It would appear that there is a lot to do in Lima. Thanks again for the pictures and the advice. Tom

• 4 years later...

Archived