4. Michigan

5. California

The states with the best roads are:

1. Texas

2. Florida

3. Tennessee

4. Georgia and Ohio (tie)

5. Nevada and Virginia (tie)

I honestly think the I-20 East in South Carolina is the worst road ever. I road once going to Colombia and would have rather walked.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's great to hear that Georgia has great roads, especially in a state that depends so much on them.

That said, I thought Alabama would make the worst roads list (some of the oldest sections of interstate in the country are/were just outside of Birmingham), though I hear they have bben working to improve them

But wouldn't this go better in the Georgia forum (Lady Celeste, care to interlude)

(A little off topic...) It's hard to believe Ohio is one of the best and Pennsylvania is one of the worst. They both are awful, in part to the frequent freeze-thaw at that latitude.

I agree with the sentiment above, Alabama is easily one of the worst, at least among the Southern states. I-20 (GA to B'ham) is slowly being brought into modern times I suppose and I-65 TN to B'ham is rough.

^I thought our schools (along with almost every other Southern State) were given a B by some study. In this study, the only Southern State to get an A was South Carolina.

It was mentioned in the AJC a couple weeks ago...I just need to find it.

Please do. I would be very interested to see that article. I am also interested to know why I have not heard of such a thing. Usually good news about schools in SC is big news.

Georgia's road system is very well maintained. I've never really thought about it until now, but the majority of my ventures in GA are relatively pot-hole free. Even the state roads that are in the middle of nowhere are decent. The worst section of road is definately I-95 south of Savannah, but they are doing construction there, so that should be fixed soon.

Here's a question: what are those gate like things (like you see on railroad stops preventing cars from crossing while trains are crossing) on I-16 eastbound to Savannah? Do they have anything to do with hurricane evacuation routes?

@Spartan: I'll try to find it. It was in the Q & A section of the paper, and they usually keep a good archive of past questions they've answered.

Here's a question: what are those gate like things (like you see on railroad stops preventing cars from crossing while trains are crossing) on I-16 eastbound to Savannah? Do they have anything to do with hurricane evacuation routes?

@Spartan: I'll try to find it. It was in the Q & A section of the paper, and they usually keep a good archive of past questions they've answered.

Those are indeed for hurricane evacuations. They are there so that lane reversals can be done more easily.

I think what Ironchapman is referring to is the educational proficiency rankings (I started a thread about it in the SC forum some time ago).

Yep, that would be it. Thanks for finding it :)

It may be accurate for how well the students perform up to standard, but standards are different in each state (they may be much higher in one C state while the ones in an A or B state may be low, or vice versa)

Georgia roads are pretty good outside of Atlanta. I-85 south near Union City was just repaved and before that was one of the worst roads I had been on. At one point I hit a pothole so big I almost went airborne. Probably due to all the truck traffic. Surface streets in Atlanta are pretty lousy as well. Roads such as West Paces Ferry that go through some of the wealthiest areas are filled with large potholes and bumps. Once you get away from all of the trucks though, the roads getty pretty smooth.

• 1 month later...

I dont know...i dont really consider it a great thing. I have lived up north where the roads are awful and didnt really mind it (made me drive slower and pay more attention). I wonder if the extreme upkeep of Georgia roads is kind of a waste of tax payers money. There are plenty of things more important than highway upkeep!!

just an opinion

• 2 months later...

I-65 from Nashville to B'ham isn't too bad. Southern states will ALWAYS have a leg up on northern state when it comes to roads because we don't have to deal with snow and ice so much.

I agree rocky, the Alabama portion of I-65 from Bham to Nashville is actually one of the best in the state. I-20 between Bham and Atlanta isn't very good but has improved dramatically (especially between Bham and Talladega) since and widening and resurfacing project began a couple of years ago. I-65 between downtown Bham (I-65/I-59 Malfunction Junction) and the I-459/I-65 junction is disgraceful though. Not only does the surface suck, about 80% of the interstate lights don't work. There's also a section of I-65 and I-85 around Montgomery that is awful. Otherwise I think Alabama roads are fine. I-59 from Birmingham west to Tuscaloosa and down to the MS state line is excellent. There are bad sections of I-65, I-59, and I-20 in Jefferson County (Bham) and a bad stretch of I-65 and I-85 within the Montgomery city limits that are bad. Other than that, Alabama has roads on par with the rest of the Southeast. It just seems that Alabama's roads suck because most visitors have to deal with the bad sections in Jefferson County, the state's most traveled and visited stretches of highway (other than the AL Gulf Coast). I actually saw this same ranking a few years ago that had Alabama in the top 10 of best highways. I was suprised by that.

• 3 weeks later...

Here is the Link To The Article

I honestly think the I-20 East in South Carolina is the worst road ever. I road once going to Colombia and would have rather walked.

How in the world can Texas be #1. okay so maybe i've only driven in eastern texas, but the construction in Houstons I-610 near the galleria district is horrible plus the old parts of 610 has those not so smart cloverleaf interchanges that makes driving more dangerous than jaywalking ( exaggeration ) but still. However i still go through 610 cause the 8 is soooooooo boring and downtown houston is even worse than 610 if you can imagine it I know atlanta traffic may be bad but the construction is nowhere near as bad as houston and maybe dallas. Texas cities may have some of the tallest interchanges in the country but bigger is not always better and less is more when it comes to roads. todays trend is pedestrain friendly and georgia is a step ahead from texas

Archived