PROPOSED: Hotel Sierra (aka Sierra Suites)

• Replies 417
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Since the topic of Sierra Suites came up in another thread, I thought I'd ask if anyone has heard anything new on this?

- Garris

I've not heard anything, I don't even live in RI. But that bid does sound like Sierra suites .... to a "T". The buildings coming down, the parking, that it's 12 floors. Here's a photo originally posted by Cotuit. It's the last render that was made available to us...

sierra-rendering-3.jpg

The original post from the other thread ..

Anyone aware of a 12-story, 140,000-square-foot hotel with 161 rooms and an internal parking garage that went out to bid today?

http://www.bidclerk.com/projects/projectDe...rojectID=423699

whats the latest on cuban revolution and new japan? where/when are they closing or moving?

It may be better for both of those places to move, because they are both good, especially cuban revolution, its just that the building isn't all that appealing, and the space they have is ridiculously small, a new location might allow them to grow and help with getting the "random" crowd more often.

They showed a new rendering, with slight detail and material changes. One major change is a much greater amount of brick on the facade. This project has come A LONG way. By no means a landmark (or remotely creative) building, but I believe overall a contributing one. The DRC (a process with many inherent flaws, not the least of which is design by committee) has triumphed in forcing a bland piece of "duplitecture" to become a bulding that looks like it could belong in Providence. The new rendering is unasssuming if not mildy pleasant and the program should be a nice addition to what can be a rough and tumble Washington Street.

I bolded and italicized certain words in Ari's post quoted below:

This project has come A LONG way. By no means a landmark (or remotely creative) building, but I believe overall a contributing one. The DRC (a process with many inherent flaws, not the least of which is design by committee) has triumphed in forcing a bland piece of "duplitecture" to become a bulding that looks like it could belong in Providence. The new rendering is unasssuming if not mildy pleasant and the program should be a nice addition to what can be a rough and tumble Washington Street.

Outstanding post Ari, and it says a lot about how the process should work at its best. Not everything can (or should) be landmark, but such projects shouldn't detract either. They ideally should belong, contribute, and improve.

Given the enthusiasm of the Sierra Suites folks, I would hope work on this one should begin shortly.

- Garris

They showed a new rendering, with slight detail and material changes. One major change is a much greater amount of brick on the facade. This project has come A LONG way. By no means a landmark (or remotely creative) building, but I believe overall a contributing one.

Looking forward to seeing it. :whistling:

New hotel would force restaurant reshuffling

Cuban Revolution and Talk of the Town have already found new digs, but the owner of New Japan worries the move would be too costly for his small eatery.

Full Story

That would be a huge shame, New Japan has been there for such a long time. My father remembers eating there back in the 70s, and we had a nice meal there a few weeks ago before the B.B. King show. Let's hope they can work out a relocation.

too bad there isn't room in the new hotel for them - sounds like they don't have a whole lot of space now - they might fit into the new building somewhere without taking up too much room. I too hope this works out for the best.

the soon to be vacated space of Nick's on Broadway might be a good fit. I don't know if someone else already has designs on that space when Derek et al move down the street... Or what about the spot that box lunch just vacated? it seems that the cost to move into an already built out food service place (although box lunch might have been minimally built out as a restaurant) is a lot cheaper and easier...

I must admit that I found the 600K dollar figure to be rather overstated. I could be wrong though!

well, it is very expensive to turn a vanilla space into a restaurant, especially a space that has residential above. The fire codes, the venting etc is incredibly costly and frankly pretty cost-prohibative unless you have a substantial build-out allowance. Ari can probably tell us better how much per square foot it costs to create a restaurant space...

The Box Lunch Space seems ideal, though they likely did not have a full kitchen. Anyone know what was there before? It may be outfitted for restaurant use, and just needing the equipment to be brought in.

the soon to be vacated space of Nick's on Broadway might be a good fit. I don't know if someone else already has designs on that space when Derek et al move down the street... Or what about the spot that box lunch just vacated? it seems that the cost to move into an already built out food service place (although box lunch might have been minimally built out as a restaurant) is a lot cheaper and easier...

That is a good space for sure!

But is the Nick's space ever gonna happen? I heard a couple of months to move into the new space back in December 05. I live around the corner from the new Nick's and I never see anyone going in and out of there to do work.

Archived