PROPOSED: Hotel Sierra (aka Sierra Suites)

• Replies 417
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was told Aborn St. by someone at CR (across from Washington Trust). In related news I hate the south beach diet.

That makes more sense. She said it was "right around the corner" and wasn't able to explain it to me. That would be fantastic. Still within walking distance from work and home.

Well knowing Aborn Street, and knowing who you work for...

Unless the Satin Doll is moving. :unsure:

I can say that I heard the owner was looking to sell. I don't know any details though, so that may or may not be acurate.

"I can say that I heard the owner was looking to sell. I don't know any details though, so that may or may not be acurate."

Don't know about that. They were scouting locations in Cambridge (by r+l high school) last summer.

You know what, I think I'm right then. They were looking to sell the location, but I think they had some kind of adult license issue. I remember one of the reasons was a move there. I will admit I wasn't paying full attention to the story though.

i heard thru the picklevine that cuban was moving to the Plant.

The one going in "Centre of New England" in Coventry is going to be a Supercenter! And they're closing the old one rightt down the street! Walmart rocks!

yet another reason why walmart sucks. I bet Coventry didn't require a performance bond on that site and now it will be empty. Walmart would rather have a building empty than a competing business.

"yet another reason why walmart sucks. I bet Coventry didn't require a performance bond on that site and now it will be empty. Walmart would rather have a building empty than a competing business."

The Ocean State Job Lot currently located on route 117 is rumored to be moving into what will be the old Walmart location on Route 3. The massive square footage increase alone is a huge upgrade, never mind the better location and physical condition of the WalMart building. Being a RI based company, I'm glad to see Job Lot in there...

Having said that - you can bet on my continued ban on shopping at WalMart - especially since it's moving from around the corner from my house to the Centre of NE.

i heard thru the picklevine that cuban was moving to the Plant.

yet another reason why walmart sucks. I bet Coventry didn't require a performance bond on that site and now it will be empty. Walmart would rather have a building empty than a competing business.

That Centre of New England development is taking forever to materialize, and its concept (mixed-use retail/condos, hotel/restaurant/big box pad, residential village with affordable housing component, supersprawl destination) changes every time its in the news. The area near the old WalMart is still fairly rural, and has 2 or 3 large plazas (one was an old Almacs) that have been empty as far back as I can remember.

So considering Job Lot wants the Wal Mart space, I think its good for Coventry. I think the SuperCenter will be very successful here. People in the Midwest and the South look to SC's like they're some kind of oasis, as if it were the only store you'll ever need to set foot in. :rolleyes: Then again they do sell guns, fried chicken, beer, condoms, cigarettes, and $3 footlong subs all under the same roof!

Yes, I was recently by there and the building is indeed proceeding at a furious pace. I must say, though, that looking at the development, I would still bet people are going to drive from their condo 200 feet down the street to the retail...

I still don't get the ultimate point of developments like this.

- Garris

I would still bet people are going to drive from their condo 200 feet down the street to the retail...

Of course they will. This project is an abomination. The ultimate in what not to do. The creme of the crop in bad sprawling developments. And to mask it over with housing as though to make it seem like it's "mixed use" and therefore acceptable is kinda just funny to me.

The only reason I have any interest is because it's close to where I live, other than that, it's just suburban development. I'd love to live in the city if they had better schools and the wife wasn;t so against it (or if I made enough money to send my children to a private school).

The only reason I have any interest is because it's close to where I live, other than that, it's just suburban development. I'd love to live in the city if they had better schools and the wife wasn;t so against it (or if I made enough money to send my children to a private school).

Do what I did. I lived in the suburbs (close in, but still suburbs) for 8 years with my partner because that's what he wanted and it was close to his family. After that, I put my foot down and said I am moving into the city. If you'd like to come, you are welcome. If not, I hope you'll spend the weekends. I gave him 8 years of my life for his fulfillment, now it's my turn. Funny thing, he saw it my way when he realized he didn't have a choice in the matter. I must say, he LOVES it. I even got him to get off his high horse expectations about what to buy (I will only buy something new. I don't want other people's headaches, BLAH, BLAH, BLAH!!!). It was just a smokescreen exuse and after a short period of amusing him, I refused to go along with it. I may not be buying in 110 now, but I live close by and got what I wanted (and have a few bucks left in the bank for decorating and the all important vacations). Hey, sometimes love hurts! :)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived