PROPOSED: Hotel Sierra (aka Sierra Suites)

Rumor has it that New Japan will be closing, after 30 years, because the numbers just don't add up for them to move. I would personally rather keep a downtown institution alive than see with this godawful extended stay hotel every day.

Seems as though the city is being sanitized bit by bit and we're losing a lot of interesting and amazing places in the process.

• Replies 417
  • Created
  • Last Reply
A couple of thoughts on this (independent on the value or lack thereof of Sierra Sierra Suites, which I think will be a decent addition to the area...):

- I've been to New Japan a couple of times now, and I just am not a fan... Limited menu, more limited hours, cramped (and not terribly clean or well kept) dining space, overworked wait staff, and average sushi at best... I'd hardly call it "amazing" in my experience...

- There's almost nothing in the way of cheap eats Asian or Indian ethnic dining downtown, and no other Japanese, so there's essentially ZERO competition (and the long rumored Paulimoto's for G-Tech is as yet nowhere in sight). Now, while I'm not in the restaurant business, I'm still a bit miffed on how someone could run the numbers for the downtown market and not find a way to make money, with NO competition at all in the entire Japanese genre for lunch or dinner, while many urban downtowns are choked with sushi places...

- This again brings up the question of what to value and preserve, and what not to value or preserve. Is New Japan really an "institution?" Should longevity alone (assuming my premise that the food isn't that great) secure a place in the urban landscape at the expense of any progress at all?

- Garris

Rumor has it that New Japan will be closing, after 30 years, because the numbers just don't add up for them to move. I would personally rather keep a downtown institution alive than see with this godawful extended stay hotel every day.

Seems as though the city is being sanitized bit by bit and we're losing a lot of interesting and amazing places in the process.

I pretty much agree here, especially on the point of how they could not make the numbers work. It may be more that the owner just does not feel like starting over again after 30 years. Restaurant are extremely tough businesses to run, so I could see that being a good reason.

Nothing is static. Institutions come and go. While I dont necessarily like the design of the replacement, I do think that the concept of putting a reasonably priced hotel on Washington is a good one and fall firmly in the "Progress" category. The street has a ways to go, and this is a step in the right direction.

I'm certainly not against downtown hotels in general - I'm an admin for a downtown firm and am certainly aware that Providence needs more rooms.

The real problem for me is the airport-style hotel plopped in an area that could use more daytime foot traffic as it is. Is New Japan the best Japanese food ever? No. Is Talk of the Town the best bar ever? Um, well, I guess it's probably not.

I just really don't understand how the back of a poorly designed hotel and two carport (okay, 1 garage and 1 driveway) entrances are going to help to revitalize Washington Street.

it adds foot traffic. should all the extended stay hotels be in warwick? that's a decent sized population of visitors that aren't staying in providence. do people who stay in those types of hotels never leave the hotels? maybe yes, but that's probably because they're staying in warwick and don't have the city at their front door.

• 2 months later...

http://www.bidclerk.com/project.423699.html

"Site work and new construction of a hotel in Providence. Working drawings call for the construction of an 11-story, 162-room, 140,000-square-foot hotel to include an internal parking garage.

Subcontractor bidding will begin in December of 2007 and construction is expected to begin in January 2008. Interested parties should direct inquiries to the developer."

Looks like it may be happening after all, and soon.

<a href="http://www.bidclerk.com/project.423699.html" target="_blank">http://www.bidclerk.com/project.423699.html</a>

"Site work and new construction of a hotel in Providence. Working drawings call for the construction of an 11-story, 162-room, 140,000-square-foot hotel to include an internal parking garage.

Subcontractor bidding will begin in December of 2007 and construction is expected to begin in January 2008. Interested parties should direct inquiries to the developer."

Looks like it may be happening after all, and soon.

• 4 weeks later...

I can't believe the dumb fs on this licensing board complained that there wasn't parking at a bar.

Think about that.

F this stupid city and this stupid state right in the ear.

Maybe the other reasons are valid, but we are talking about a location with plenty of residents within walking distance and we are talking about a bar and these people insist on parking?

I can't believe the dumb fs on this licensing board complained that there wasn't parking at a bar.

Think about that.

F this stupid city and this stupid state right in the ear.

Maybe the other reasons are valid, but we are talking about a location with plenty of residents within walking distance and we are talking about a bar and these people insist on parking?

• 2 weeks later...

That is GARBAGE. The fact that it was unanimous is really frustrating.

"her efforts to revitalize that area" -- ????????? That site is surrounded by a 7-11, some random hole-in-the-wall sports bar, a strip club, a storage building and the Dunkin Donuts in Eagle Square. I doubt adding a bar like Tots would hamper any effort to improve this area.

Most of the restaurants/bars on Fed hill don't have parking lots, but people still find a way to frequent the businesses. Rejecting a liquor license because of a lack of parking. That really is comical. The city might as well reject a proposal to fix street lights in a rough section of town, stating that "Drug dealers will not be able to carry on their business in privacy."

there is plenty of parking on Atwells Avenue. The businesses may not have their own parking, but entire blocks of housing in several areas just off Atwells has been demo-ed for surface parking over the last 10 years.

i am definately curious as to the real reason why this didn't go through. Too bad the Journal appears to be incapable of actually finding out the truth in any story they publish these days.

Archived