Morris Island being considered for possible growth

Charleston native

According to the article link below, Morris Island may be developed sooner rather than later. Local officials said Wednesday that a 10-room bed and breakfast seems to be among the ideas being considered. The Ginn company has a contract to buy part of the 128-acre barrier island near the mouth of Charleston Harbor. The sale would not include the lighthouse or the wetlands surrounding the island, which are owned by the state.

I'm torn with this one. The island has a huge historical significance where Union forces attacked Confederate-held Battery Wagner on July 18, 1863. The attack included the all-black 54th Massachusetts Infantry Regiment and was the inspiration for the 1989 Hollywood movie "Glory." So, part of me thinks it should be preserved as it is, but another part of me says, "Wait, it's only going to be a 10-room bed and breakfast." Think of how romantic it would be to wake up to the ocean sunrise and see the lighthouse standing next to it. It would be a popular place, and it is very small in scale. What do others here think?

Morris Island to get a bed and breakfast?

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This really seems to be one of those "all or nothing" situations. Either the whole island will get developed (the parts suitable for development, anyway), or the whole island will stay preserved. I say preserve it. There is more than enough room on the mainland for condos and such. Let a piece of Charleston, SC, and even U.S. history remain unspoiled.

My view on it all is that without small private interest on this island it probably wont even be there in 20 years so i do see a small scale developement like that one as a positive thing. I really don't think the state will be doing much to save barrier islands like this one ( it used to be as big as folly beach) , so this development might have the money to protect this island from erosion and such.

Barrier islands are supposed to change. That is their purpose. I'm not sure if developing it would be a good idea because as was mentioned before, once you open the door, it will be very hard to close it. I say sell the land to the state, and make it an official state park.

As for the light house, there is a push to save it by reinforcing its base:

http://www.savethelight.org/

• 2 weeks later...

:shok: You're not going to believe who wrote this editorial in the P & C about Morris Island. For all the stupid things this individual supports, the person can make sense on a rare occasion. Again, I'm still torn about this development...if kept very small, private investment could help preserve the island.

Of course, probably the only reason why this individual wants to preserve the island is because this person is usually obsessed with Confederate history and the Civil War. Anyway, I won't say who it is; ya'll can read the article and see. I'd like to know what people think about what was said, as well.

Preserving Morris Island

I agree with him. I think it should be preserved as it is- meaning let nature take its course. Check it out on Google Earth. There's not much to it anymore. I think within out lifetime we will be talking about the Morris Island Lighthouse, but no Morris Island to go with it.

But won't letting nature take its course eventually allow for the complete disintegration (I know that's a strong word, I couldn't think of a better one) of this historic island? Preservation of the island, or what is left of it, can occur if a property owner has an invested interest in it. It is zoned for only 2 houses that could even be developed. If done properly, a national designation for the battle could be made on the island.

Despite my pro-developer stance, the local governments sure don't want anything built on the island. Here is the latest article from the P & C today:

Morris Island plan faces foe

I generally disagree with the notion of building on barrier islands, particularly ones with no direct raod access. Yes, it probably will was away one day. If they are going to preserve it, then so be it, but I don't think that it should be done with development on it. Establishing it as a public nature preserve would be a much better solution.

^ That would be nice, but then I feel it would become a state money dump. Taxpayer money would have to fund its preservation and renourishment for years and years. I'm sure G'ville and Cola residents wouldn't want to throw their money into a Chas-only project. I guess for better measure, it could become a national park then?

• 2 weeks later...

It seems like more opposition to the very small development of the island is gearing up for a potentially hostile battle. State lawmakers have been urging Charleston preservation groups to start providing money to give Morris Island to a group or agency that will be able to protect it forever from any controversial development. Sen. Chip Campsen, a rep for Isle of Palms, said the SC Conservation Bank could help out but cannot take the lead role. Lawmakers met with preservation leaders Monday, and listened to several experts, elected officials, and residents on the future of Morris Island. Every person who spoke supported its sale to a governmental or nonprofit agency that would respect its historical and environmental importance.

[url="http://www.charleston.net/stories/?newsID=66960

Archived