Where am I?

Andrea

Hmmm, I'm thinking this is on the NW corner of Peachtree & International (formerly Cain). The only reason I'm thinking this is because of the lines & cornices of the building in the foreground.

You guys would remember it as the old Lerners/Level III nightclub building perhaps?

Am I close - or am I as braindead as I suspect I may be?

Wow, that's amazing, John!! You are exactly right. This was the old Masonic building on that corner, and the fire took place in 1950.

What an eye for detail you have! I wouldn't have known this except I've got the cheat sheet!

:lol:

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK - Being in the travel biz, this looks like something I may also know. Gate 10 at the old Atlanta Municipal Airport/Candler Field?

Well, for Pete's sakes, John, it sure is! That photo is from 1951 -- hard to believe we've gone from that to the world's busiest terminal in 50 years. I can remember taking my Dad to the airport when we were little kids, and standing on the tarmac just like these folks as the engines revved up in the old DC-6's. I totally empathize with that little girl in the front with her hands over her ears, as well as that other woman who's leaning against the wall.

I'm pretty ashamed to admit it, but I live in DeKalb, love Decatur - but I have never been to Oakhurst. I know from ads for the Universal Joint that it is indeed there though.

Brad and/or Andrea - Is that the old Scottish Rite that I hear so much about in the background of that pic?

As for the two I got right - that was pure "hunch" luck. -_-

I'm pretty ashamed to admit it, but I live in DeKalb, love Decatur - but I have never been to Oakhurst. I know from ads for the Universal Joint that it is indeed there though.

Brad and/or Andrea - Is that the old Scottish Rite that I hear so much about in the background of that pic?

As for the two I got right - that was pure "hunch" luck. -_-

Er, I knew Brad and John and other intown fans would obviously recognize this immediately, which is why I suggested that we let someone else take a stab.

:shades:

In any event, yes, that is the old Scottish Rite hospital. It wasn't that long ago, of course, that polio was still a big issue for children. I believe it's an arts center now.

Oakhurst has a bunch of great stuff going on these days -- Jupiter Coffee, Mulligan's (home of the HamDog, as featured on Jay Leno), Sweet Devil Moon, etc. The houses look great all around there, too.

Here's a photo from the U-Joint's website showing what it looked like when it was still a gas station:

pic_story.jpg

^So sorry Andrea. I knew that Brad got it, so I thought I would chime in with my question about Scottish Rite. :whistling:

From what I've been told by my Decatur friends, Scottish Rite is indeed some sort of Arts facility, mixed in with lofts/condos or some such. Promise I'll back off for a while - unless you post some really hard ones that nobody gets!

^So sorry Andrea. I knew that Brad got it, so I thought I would chime in with my question about Scottish Rite. :whistling:

From what I've been told by my Decatur friends, Scottish Rite is indeed some sort of Arts facility, mixed in with lofts/condos or some such. Promise I'll back off for a while - unless you post some really hard ones that nobody gets!

No problem, John, this ain't no stinking quiz show and I ain't no Monty Hall!

Seriously, I appreciate and enjoy the input from both you and Brad. Y'all know your city inside out. Cat and several others have come up with some amazing identifications, too. I'm learning a lot from these as I go along myself! Please keep right on posting!

With regard to this Oakhurst area, I can recall riding my bike into "town" and going to the drugstore. I think there's a pizza place there now. They had a classic marble counter and served up ice cream in little cone shaped paper cups that were held in stainless steel holders. Now that was good eats!

Wasn't impressed with Food Studio, but it's been around 6 years since I've been there. We found it a bit too pretentious & image obsessed to find relaxing. Additionally - the food servings, which predictably were small, was only adequate.

Still a cool complex though - & was certainly ahead of it's time when it opened.

Road Atlanta, although I dont think I know which turn that is! (hoping im right)

Gators takes the checkered flag!! :yahoo:

Yeah, that's Road Atlanta. This is what I call the "home stretch" (there is probably a more technical term) just past the Suzuki bridge. Those drivers are really getting it as they come ripping out of that last turn and gun it into the straightaway in front of the grandstands.

I think this was Walter Mitty Race Day, which is always a blast.

Hmmm. I've walked by it but.... is it in the Fairley Poplar? Where ever it is I really should know it. :(

By the way, I love this thread.

Close, UrbanAtl, but it's actually just south of Five Points. When I first went into business for myself we opened our offices in this building. You could open the windows and let the street sounds and the gentle breezes waft in.

Well Andrea, I can't help myself (as usual)! I'm thinking the old Park Place building, right off of Decatur? I believe it's a GSU building now?

Yes, indeed, John! Glad you jumped in.

I guess Park Place was originally Pryor Street, although this building had been renamed 10 Park Place by the time I moved there. It's so graceful, with a very human scale. I feel lucky to have had a chance to work in a place like that -- it seemed almost like a time capsule from a more gentile era.

The Atlanta Urban Design Commission has an excellent history of the building. It was commissioned by Albert Thornton, grandson of early Atlanta magnate Alfred Austell. (I think Austell Way in Buckhead is one of the most elegant streets in the city). It was desigend by A. Ten Eyck Brown, who also did the Fulton County Courthouse and the Cyclorama.

Archived