Where am I?

Andrea

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One other clue: It's probably one of the few high schools in Atlanta to have also produced a Nobel laureate.

I'm going to go ahead and give this one away because it's MLK Day. This is Booker T. Washington High School, a couple of miles west of Five Points. It was where Dr. King went to high school and it's really got an amazing history.

It was the first public high school in Atlanta for blacks, and opened in 1924 (a mere six decades after the conclusion of the Civil War). Until 1947 it was the only public school in Atlanta where African American kids could get a high school education, and by that time enrollment had swelled to nearly 5,000 students.

In addition to Dr. King, famous Washington alumni include singer and actress Lena Horne, Secretary of Health and Human Services Dr. Louis Sullivan, prominent surgeon Asa Yancey, Robert Gibbs (the first African American to graduate from Harvard), comedian Nipsey Russell, pro athletes Lawrence Smith, Jabari Smith, Elmore Spencer, and a host of others.

Here's a link to the Atlanta Urban Design Commission with some more details.

The brickwork on this building is gorgeous. WOW........

It is absolutely beautiful, Celeste. It's a *big* building, but can you imagine what it must have been like in the late 40's, with 5,000 kids from all over the city coming there because it was the only place they could go for a ticket to a better future?

:shades:

Oh, great guess, it could definitely be Ormewood Park. Try a couple of hops to the west!

This isn't really guessable because it could easily be any of a number of intown neighborhoods. It's actually Pineview, over off Cascade Road, in what would probably be called Oakland City. When we moved there back in 1970, the area was still a little rough around the edges, but the prices were lower and I thought the houses and the streets looked as good as gentrified areas like VA-Highland and Peachtree Hills. It turned out to be a good experience.

SW Atlanta has so many beautiful neighborhoods and the location rocks.

That's the Capital City Club. I walk by it frequently, though I still have no idea what it really is.

Exactly, Catlike! It's an old line private club founded back in the 1880's. Its members are a roster of prominent Atlantans. They also established a country club and golf course in north Atlanta around 1910, and that became the centerpiece of the beautiful Brookhaven neighborhood. (I believe they've got another golf course now as well).

Capital City, Piedmont Driving, Cherokee and the Standard Club are probably Atlanta's most prestigious "upper crust" social clubs.

Exactly, Catlike! It's an old line private club founded back in the 1880's. Its members are a roster of prominent Atlantans. They also established a country club and golf course in north Atlanta around 1910, and that became the centerpiece of the beautiful Brookhaven neighborhood. (I believe they've got another golf course now as well).

Capital City, Piedmont Driving, Cherokee and the Standard Club are probably Atlanta's most prestigious "upper crust" social clubs.

I always thought that was a beautiful building but never knew what it was either. I learn something new about Atlanta every day it seems.

Hmmm, I'm thinking this is on the NW corner of Peachtree & International (formerly Cain). The only reason I'm thinking this is because of the lines & cornices of the building in the foreground.

You guys would remember it as the old Lerners/Level III nightclub building perhaps?

Am I close - or am I as braindead as I suspect I may be?

Archived