Where am I?

Andrea

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:thumbsup: You got it!

The thing I find interesting is the onstreet parking which means Peachtree was just a single lane in each direction in this part of town.

Are you serious?

Oh my gosh....look at how different it looks. Look at the terracotta roofed gas station or repari center next door. WOW....it went from being an interior design store to a nightclub. As far as one laned Peachtree...that would be maddening in these times. Traffic would back up to Harris. :ph34r:

LOL, Andrea. Only if teacher has a blender and some tequila & mix in the coat closet!

This is practically in Brad's back yard. I don't think it's fair of me to answer this one.

What properly prepared teacher wouldn't, John??

:lol:

Brad, I said it wasn't Dr. Evil's headquarters, but I've heard vague reports of someone who looked a lot like Mini Me peering over that fourth floor landing.

Hmm, Looks like one of them thar hippy parks.

LOL, it does, John. :lol:

Here's another hint -- it's on North Avenue, although probably not on the end you'd suspect, and the paintings are by a local artist who almost surely wouldn't be mistaken for one of them long-haired hippie types.

This is no longer in existence, but it looks cool! Anyone know what's there now?

It's the Loew's Grand, where Gone With The Wind premiered in 1939. My mom tells me she was in the crowd out front that night, although they couldn't get closer than a couple of blocks away. (A sad footnote, Hattie McDaniel, the first black woman to win Best Supporting Actress, was not invited to the premiere).

The theater was originally built as an opera house in the 1890's by the DeGive family, who lived in that big yellow brick house on Wieuca Road near Phipps. I'm not sure when Loew's coverted the building to a movie theater. In 1978 the Loew's mysteriously caught on fire, and it was speculated that the cause was arson because the site had become so valuable. The Georgia Pacific tower was constructed there shortly afterwards.

I've read that the big 70mm projectors now at the Fox were rescued from the Loew's.

Here's a photo from the early days, when it was still an opera house:

LBGPF1-126b.jpg

Things were still going strong in the 1950's:

LBCB077-097a.jpg

P05129.jpg

And were actually pretty lively up through the late 1960's:

LBSGP1-035b.jpg

It's the Loew's Grand, where Gone With The Wind premiered in 1939. My mom tells me she was in the crowd out front that night, although they couldn't get closer than a couple of blocks away. (A sad footnote, Hattie McDaniel, the first black woman to win Best Supporting Actress, was not invited to the premiere).

The theater was originally built as an opera house in the 1890's by the DeGive family, who lived in that big yellow brick house on Wieuca Road near Phipps. I'm not sure when Loew's coverted the building to a move theater. In 1978 the Loew's mysteriously caught on fire, and it was speculated that the cause was arson because the site had become so valuable. The Georgia Pacific tower was constructed there shortly afterwards.

I've read that the big 70mm projectors now at the Fox were rescued from the Loew's.

Here's a photo from the early days, when it was still an opera house:

Man, it sure was a beauty.

• 2 weeks later...

That's Glenwood at Moreland, as you head into East Atlanta.

How about this? Everyone will probably recognize it right off, but I like the fact that the 3 central buidlings are almost a "bar graph" of the city's growth during the hundred years between 1890 and 1990.

Tech%20Parkway%202.jpg

Archived