Park West

RemusCal

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the update. Here's a rendering that's from the revamped website.

Hopefully the drive-in won't be going away any time soon since they have it on the map. I remember the discussion about whether it would remain being questionable since the property it's on is going to be worth more than the operating profits of the drive-in.

^

Are there any other Drive In theatres still operational in Arkansas?

I always thought the Fayetteville location was the only one.

This development looks like it will incorporate some Downtown Feel with the parking in the back, but it reminds me a bit of Sprawl. I like how it will include 5 story buildings, but I wish the residential portion was a bit more urban.

^

This development looks like it will incorporate some Downtown Feel with the parking in the back, but it reminds me a bit of Sprawl. I like how it will include 5 story buildings, but I wish the residential portion was a bit more urban.

Good question. To be honest I really don't know. But I have a feeling this one won't last much longer. With Sam's going in and all these other developments, that's going to become a hot property I think. That and considering the drive in isn't open year round, it just seems to me something else will go in at some point.

There are 3 drive-ins still operating within Arkansas. 112 Drive-In in Fayetteville, Stone Drive-In in Mountain View and Kenda Drive-In in Marshall. Not very good for Arkansas as neighboring states have 10-15 drive-ins still in operation. Visit the 112 Drive-In website for pictures playing and show times. I even love the retro look of their website.

Good question. To be honest I really don't know. But I have a feeling this one won't last much longer. With Sam's going in and all these other developments, that's going to become a hot property I think. That and considering the drive in isn't open year round, it just seems to me something else will go in at some point.

I hate to agree with you even though a drive-in would be a great neighbor of Park West, although I don't think the residents that can afford Park West would care much for a drive-in being next door. Oh well, it's not like Springfield, MO has a drive-in less than 40 miles of the city, although there are several drive-ins located from Tulsa to Mc Alester, OK.

I hate to agree with you even though a drive-in would be a great neighbor of Park West, although I don't think the residents that can afford Park West would care much for a drive-in being next door. Oh well, it's not like Springfield, MO has a drive-in less than 40 miles of the city, although there are several drive-ins located from Tulsa to Mc Alester, OK.

Don't get me wrong I 'm not saying I don't think we need one or that the particular area couldn't use one. But I think there's going to be a lot of future development in that area. A drive in just seems to me something that is likely to eventually sell out when someone offers enough money. Maybe it would simply move, I don't know. But I wouldn't have a problem with it staying. I think it might have more to do with how hot that area becomes for development in the near future.

Don't get me wrong I 'm not saying I don't think we need one or that the particular area couldn't use one. But I think there's going to be a lot of future development in that area. A drive in just seems to me something that is likely to eventually sell out when someone offers enough money. Maybe it would simply move, I don't know. But I wouldn't have a problem with it staying. I think it might have more to do with how hot that area becomes for development in the near future.

I know noone wants to see an Arkansas icon go away... it's only 1 of 3 drive-ins operating in the state of Arkansas! But, drive-ins don't move... they just close and get redeveloped over or become flea markets. I agree with you that money has a hold over NWA, more so than it seems in many nearby metros. It's too bad that progress in NWA brings an end to many of the things that attracted me to NWA in the first place. If downtown Springdale was developing as fast as the rest of the metro I'm 100% positive the Jones Center would be shut down and remade into a "profit oriented" instead of "family oriented" business. It's all in the name of progress.

^

What would you do to make this project not look like "Sprawl"? I think Park West is very interesting and am happy to see Fayetteville doing something "cool" instead of watching everything "go north" (If you know what I mean)

What would you do to make this project not look like "Sprawl"? I think Park West is very interesting and am happy to see Fayetteville doing something "cool" instead of watching everything "go north" (If you know what I mean)

If it's done in a traditional neighborhood/new urbanism type style that they have said then I don't think it would look like sprawl.

For one, I'd decrease the need for parking spots by either creating a Parking Garage (which is tax free during construction) and incorporate it in with the buildings themselves, and/or make the need for mass transit with the addition of Razorback Transit or another transit organization. This project seems like so many in NWA in the fact that it relies heavilily on the need for an automobile. Decrease the need and it will increase in urbanization.

Second, make the buildings look a bit more diverse, instead of all the same brick red. All the renderings I've seen make the viewer feel all the buildings feel the same.

Third, I hope this project incorporates street front retail, with office space and residential units on top floors. I'd hate to see sections of the development be devoted to only retail or multifamily housing. That in turn will reduce the need for an automobile.

For one, I'd decrease the need for parking spots by either creating a Parking Garage (which is tax free during construction) and incorporate it in with the buildings themselves, and/or make the need for mass transit with the addition of Razorback Transit or another transit organization. This project seems like so many in NWA in the fact that it relies heavilily on the need for an automobile. Decrease the need and it will increase in urbanization.

Second, make the buildings look a bit more diverse, instead of all the same brick red. All the renderings I've seen make the viewer feel all the buildings feel the same.

Third, I hope this project incorporates street front retail, with office space and residential units on top floors. I'd hate to see sections of the development be devoted to only retail or multifamily housing. That in turn will reduce the need for an automobile.

Interesting points. Although I agree with you on diversifying the buildings I could see someone arguing the point of all the buildings tying into each other by all having the same red brick.

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Not quite the same area, but does anyone know what is going in between the Harps and the Country Inn and Suites off of Weddington? I remember at one time discussion of a Mansfield project there (an apartment project I think), but that was a long time ago.

Here is a picture of the sign on the Park West development. I really like this project and hope that it gets moving soon. Also they have a new website but it is not informative at all.

412805312_d4c099225b_b.jpg

I think that it is going to be a shopping center. I remember hearing about it about a year or so ago. Unless something has changed.

I drove past this area today. I think this will be a good development. Its the first kind of larger NU development like this that will have easy access to I-540, so it should become a choice location.

I always wondered how the area northwest of I-540 would develop. This is a good step in the right direction towards making that area part of the "city" rather than just another far flug crackerbox subdivision.

Archived