Park West

RemusCal

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I would love to live in a place like this! If I could really walk or bike to work it would be even better! I hope that they have some really affordable loft type apartments or condos for us "non-millionair" types.

Has this thing really passed City approval?

I think that it has. It came through last year and then we have not heard anything about it in the past 6 months or so. It will probably have to come back through in phases as it starts to develop this year. There was an article about it in the Times today and as usual the Sierra Club wants to take a better look at it to make sure it does not effect some wetlands. Someone always thinks that they have to complain everytime there is a development in Fayetteville. The developers said that they went above and beyond what they needed to do in the planning stages to make sure the wetlands were protected.

Here is the article: Park West

No, there are actually wetland issues in this area. They are not exactly where Park West will be located. They are just to the southwest of it, or behind the new Sams Club. There are 3 big developments going in all around this area. The two mentioned above and Springwoods. Each development has made every adjustment possible to avoid hurting the wetlands.

A while back ago when the city still owned this land there was talk of turning some of the land over to Audubon or something like and have some sort of nature center. But that fell through when the city decided not to build the high tech park there.

There is an article in the Times this morning about this topic. THe developer, Tracy Hoskins, met with a group of environmentalists out at the site. Overall the environmentalists seemed to be very pleased with the project and that the developer had gone above and beyond of what was expected. So hopefully this will keep them happy and they can get started on this development.

Here is the article: Park West

I think that it is in a slightly better location than HarBer. With a Sams right next door, and the mall, Walmart, and dozens of restaurants just about a mile or two away. It seems that it is really hard to get from Harber to shopping because traffic on 412 can get really bad. Harber is closer to schools for now, but if Fayetteville builds a new high school it may be right behind Park West.

Not only is Park West in a good location, but it is far superior to Har-Ber. Park West will be more like an urban town center with light to medium density residential whereas Har-Ber is just a few little office buildings with light residential all around.

Not only is Park West in a good location, but it is far superior to Har-Ber. Park West will be more like an urban town center with light to medium density residential whereas Har-Ber is just a few little office buildings with light residential all around.

They seem to be set up different. Park West has a much more urban feel with more choices of residences compared to HarBer. The center of Park West also looks to have much more commercial space while HarBer center is a park with mostly single family homes surrounding it. I guess this is just speculation though, since it is not even started yet and all we have seen is a picture or two.

I think it will really work out well in Fayetteville. I drive way too much and I wish I lived in an area where I could just walk for a couple of minutes and work, eat, or shop. I don't see how a Sams would hurt the area. It might even provide a few jobs for people living in this development.

Yes, I went off on this in the light rail topic. I agree, I am also tired of feeling like I have to use my car to get everywhere. One of the reasons I'm looking forward to having more of the trails system. But I'd certainly like to have more people oriented neighborhoods and areas of the city.

I totally agree.

I got a nice taste of the walking life in my neighborhood during the big snow.

I am close enough to walk down to College Avenue. With most cars at home avoiding the snow, it was nice to walk down and get a bite to eat, walk to the bank, etc.

I wouldn't attempt it during full speed traffic hours, though, primarily because College Ave just isn't safe to walk alongside.

Sidewalk improvements to College would make a world of difference, and I could see myself walking a lot more often.

I am already planning a new bike purchase sometime in the near future, with the Scull Creek Trail extension in mind.

Great to hear. I totally agree with you as well. Even if we don't make College Ave a divided boulevard like the Dover Kohl suggestions, I still think there are little things we can do to make it more pedestrian friendly. I've been spending all my extra money on camera equipment but I'm like you. After the Scull Creek Trail is finished I think I'm going to be going for a bike myself. I hadn't thought about it but I wonder if many retail locations even have bike racks or just a place where you can lock up your bike. Especially around the whole Mall area.

I would love to dig the ol' bike out and start using it again. If I lived in Park West I could do it, but I don't thinkk I could survive many other places. I hate using the car for short trips. Especially at lunch from the office. I wish I could have an enjoyable walk somewhere for a lunch on a beautiful day. Or at least a safe walk.

Archived