Nelson's Crossing, Upscale Shopping Center

Mith242

I think it also depends on how much space the retailers that have been announced will take up also. But I am a little surprised as much hype as there have been for other retail centers this seems to be coming under the radar a bit. I know it's no Pinnacle Hills Promenade, but I still would have thought there'd be a little more buzz to Nelsons Crossing. I'm wondering if the opening has been pushed back further into next year and that's one of the reasons we haven't been hearing a lot about it.

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think it also depends on how much space the retailers that have been announced will take up also. But I am a little surprised as much hype as there have been for other retail centers this seems to be coming under the radar a bit. I know it's no Pinnacle Hills Promenade, but I still would have thought there'd be a little more buzz to Nelsons Crossing. I'm wondering if the opening has been pushed back further into next year and that's one of the reasons we haven't been hearing a lot about it.

I had wondered if they had been pushing to get it open before Christmas and maybe since that wasn't possible now there wasn't as much of a rush to get it finished quite so quickly. But maybe I'm being too optimistic and the space isn't leasing out too well.

• 2 weeks later...

I took some pictures of the site. All of the construction workers were very friendly to me and would even stop to allow me to take pictures. I asked if I could go inside, but they said it the man upstairs wouldn't allow it. I also noticed that Vintage Stock has put up it's sign. It's the first one to do so in the main building. Anyway, here's the pics.

IMG_0704.jpg

IMG_0705.jpg

IMG_0706.jpg

IMG_0707.jpg

IMG_0708.jpg

IMG_0709.jpg

IMG_0710.jpg

IMG_0711.jpg

IMG_0712.jpg

Well we know of at least one maybe two more locations. I saw the Vintage Stock signs and sounds like Mr Tux could be going there as well. I guess Vintage Stock must be doing okay to be opening another store. I know they had one open in Rogers for a while now. I think they're first store has been open in Springdale for quite a while now.

I may have overlooked it, but I didn't see it here.

I read some of the recent building permits for Fayetteville and the person who runs Mr. Tux, which as we all know is moving to make room for The Dickson, has filed a building permit for 45 W. Joyce, which I assume is in this development.

I took some pictures of the site. All of the construction workers were very friendly to me and would even stop to allow me to take pictures. I asked if I could go inside, but they said it the man upstairs wouldn't allow it. I also noticed that Vintage Stock has put up it's sign. It's the first one to do so in the main building. Anyway, here's the pics.

Well we know of at least one maybe two more locations. I saw the Vintage Stock signs and sounds like Mr Tux could be going there as well. I guess Vintage Stock must be doing okay to be opening another store. I know they had one open in Rogers for a while now. I think they're first store has been open in Springdale for quite a while now.

This center is a dog, thus far. Let's all be honest with ourselves. If it was something that tenants felt great about it would already have been leased. Mr. Tux sounds like the most viable business there. Maybe they can turn things around. On the other hand, even Mr. Tux couldn't save that awful art store behind its present location!

M

I kinda have to agree. Based on the tenant mix announced so far, they cant be collecting very high rents.

Given what I guess the project's cost per SF to be, there's a chance this is losing money.

At first there were national tenants announced, now we're getting some local start ups. The local start ups can't pay the same rent as the nationals.

Someone posted above that the address on the Mr. Tux building permit puts it up near BWW anyway.

We will see....

I really think there are access issues here, as well as less attractive storefronts for signage than many national tenants will want. Just my opinions.

It almost sounds like none of the new 'upscale' shopping areas are turning out to live up to all the hype. Pinnacle hasn't really lived up to what a lot of people thought it was going to be. I'm still holding out some hope for Nelson's, but who knows. There hasn't been a lot of new info about it. Does make you wonder about that.

It almost sounds like none of the new 'upscale' shopping areas are turning out to live up to all the hype. Pinnacle hasn't really lived up to what a lot of people thought it was going to be. I'm still holding out some hope for Nelson's, but who knows. There hasn't been a lot of new info about it. Does make you wonder about that.

I agree. Both Nelson's Crossing and the Bellafont could have been developed much better to attract more national or high end retail/restaurants. The access to Nelson's will be a major drawback and I have no idea why they seem intent on building another building (for a Chico's and some other store) at the corner of Joyce/College which will effectly block the view of most of the stores on the lower level in the main building. The rent they are quoting for the main building is very high when you consider those two problems and I think that might be the reason major players are staying away.

The Bellafon't rent is also high and although this is supposed to be a little more upscale they again cut corners by not putting most of the retail closer to Joyce. Visiability is a big priority to national players and being stuck behind that large Mason's store and another bank (Liberty bank at corner of Joycy/Vantage) is a major concern. This could have been a slam dunk development, and maybe it will still do very well, but it seems the retail aspect could have been better planned.

You mean the opening of the Pinnacle Hills Promenade was NOT the most important day in the history of Northwest Arkansas? :blink:

I agree with this, in that the hype machine in NWA development circles has likely created some unrealistic expectations for those of us who follow closely.

I really think that Nelson's Crossing could have been designed much simpler and been made much more attractive to tenants. Those arches look good on paper, but even the one sign which has been installed looks precariously perched and minimized due to the exterior architecture.

Not to deride the effort which was put forth, but perhaps they got carried away?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I keep forgetting to mention this. But it looks like some retail is starting to open up here. Although I don't think any of the bigger name stores have yet. Thia has mentioned Williams Sonoma is coming to NWA. Perhaps it could be coming to Nelsons Crossing. I think it's going to take something like that to impress me. After all the hype, seeing already present stores simply moving or expanding into this shopping center hasn't excited me.

Archived