Tall House site at 45 Ionia

Prankster

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The sales office is going into one of the storefronts to the north along Ionia, where the "European Living" store used ot be.

I don't think so anymore.

I have the price sheet and the cheapest unit was on the 3rd floor (sold).

• 4 weeks later...

It's temporary until they can find ground-floor retail on Ionia that will work well for them.

Huh? Second Story Properties opened a storefront on Ionia specifically for people interested in their projects including 45 Ionia and Hillmount. It's where European Living used to be.

Huh? Second Story Properties opened a storefront on Ionia specifically for people interested in their projects including 45 Ionia and Hillmount. It's where European Living used to be.

LOL, this might be the third time I've mentioned this in this thread, but Second Story Properties is NOT representing Tall House any longer. ROI Design and Haworth are looking to set up their own sales office.

LOL, this might be the third time I've mentioned this in this thread, but Second Story Properties is NOT representing Tall House any longer. ROI Design and Haworth are looking to set up their own sales office.

Whoops - thanks for the clarification :)

I wrote this in an unrelated thread but figured it was appropriate to copy and paste it here for what it is worth:

A very recent and interesting development on Tall House is the fact that the plan has just been changed to offer more residential and less office space than the original plan. The obvious logic seems to be, regardless of their sales success to date, that they can make a lot more selling residential units at 170-200 per sf than office spaces at 120-150 per sf. The new plan is now almost exclusively residential with retail/office only on the bottom two floors (or floor and a half). This merely magnifies the ongoing question of how many residential units can the market absorb in the near term? and is the pricing trend for these residential units setting an appropriate or sustainable pattern over the long haul?

I am personally disappointed that there won't be much if any office space available for purchase at Tall House because new builds are the most profitable way to engineer for office condo spaces - and thus the most likely to result in that kind of offering (versus renovation of older bldgs). It continues to strike me that the market may be so distracted by the sexiness and questionably high profit-margin potential of residential - that it continues to neglect the perhaps less get-rich-quick but arguably more stable market for office condo buyers (myself included) who don't need extravagant amenities, multiple tax incentives or creative first-time-buyer loan rates to justify a long term investment in the central core. Are we abandoning the true sense of "mixed-use" we've seen advertised within most of these new developments? As a planner, my view is that "mixed-use" is much more than simply sticking a restaurant or retail on the first floor.

While on the topic of true mixed-use, it's easy to predict that we may be headed for a huge train wreck if the "mixed-use" river front project adds another huge inventory of residential units too quickly. This could result in a scenario where the same potentially finite group of dedicated downtown residents all start leap-frogging to the latest/greatest project, leaving a trail of vacancies, unsustainable price increases (or upside-down financing) in the residential-only developments behind them. GR could spend several years trying to recover from an outcome like that...

I cheer on the early risk-takers but also pray that their enthusiasm doesn't set the stage for pain or disaster down the road.

Looks like there is going to be a ground breaking or similar event tonight. Crews were finishing a the deck in front of the sales trailer this morning and hanging some banners on the side of it this afternoon. There is now a big white tent set up in the parking lot with chairs, tables, podium, and a large orange balloon tethered at what one would assume to be the future height of the building.

I was down there after a meeting thought I'd take some pictures...and noticed some movement at this lot. Lots of expensive looking people talking about expensive stuff. Noticed a few renderings on a banner on the east side of the site. I don't know if these renderings are unpublished ones, or different angels of the facades, but it looks as if the design has changed a little.

The camera batteries died as I was taking pictures of the huge friggin red ballon dancing in the wind, sorry.

• 3 weeks later...

The plan has changed a bit. They had to eliminate the curved balconies coming out because they could not be built structurally. The whole front facade is flat across now. There were also some changes to the 2nd and 3rd floor commercial spaces that changed the front facade a bit. They haven't updated their website yet with the new rendering.

• 3 weeks later...

If anyone here is/was affiliated with or worked on Tall House, please shoot me a PM ASAP. :thumbsup:

(To PM, click on my username and then "Send a personal message", just in case).

Thanks

1/3 Dadoff

I can't seam to get the PM button to work. What kind of info are you looking for from the Architects?

I can't seam to get the PM button to work. What kind of info are you looking for from the Architects?

You have to have at least 10 posts to be able to use the PM function. This was back in May, so I've gotten the answers I was looking for already. Thanks. :thumbsup:

Any updates to give us?

You have to have at least 10 posts to be able to use the PM function. This was back in May, so I've gotten the answers I was looking for already. Thanks. :thumbsup:

Any updates to give us?

Not today, but hopefully soon - say a few weeks.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived