Shackleford Crossings

As much as I dislike the fact that Wal-Mart is part of the development, I am hoping that the traffic it brings in will be enough to sustain the businesses already in the center and bring new ones in, even if they are value-oriented. When Wal-Mart signed on, Clary should have adjusted the plans removing the lifestyle portion and going for a true big box oriented power center. Clary should have had the brains to realize that Wal-Mart and lifestyle center don't go together.

As my post stated above, and as Clary has stated on numerous occassions, it is NOT trying to compete as a "Lifestyle" center! Its to be a "Power" center. What separates the two are the tenant makeup.

I personally think the brown/tan stucco is very boring and unattractive. I am not saying Pleasant Ridge is the best shopping center by any means, but at least they used brick throughout which I believe will hold up better long term. I do think the JC Penney's is a nice looking building but the rest looks like every other cheap strip mall out there. As soon as Wal-Mart is built you will see all the shops you see surrounding the current WMs like the video game shop, a dollar type store, a nail shop, etc. I am not saying these are bad things and they do have their place, but to waste a location like that on those type of ventures is just a waste of resources. I just wish Strode was given that piece of land to develop instead of Clary.

I personally think the brown/tan stucco is very boring and unattractive. I am not saying Pleasant Ridge is the best shopping center by any means, but at least they used brick throughout which I believe will hold up better long term. I do think the JC Penney's is a nice looking building but the rest looks like every other cheap strip mall out there. As soon as Wal-Mart is built you will see all the shops you see surrounding the current WMs like the video game shop, a dollar type store, a nail shop, etc. I am not saying these are bad things and they do have their place, but to waste a location like that on those type of ventures is just a waste of resources. I just wish Strode was given that piece of land to develop instead of Clary.

Why do you think Strode would have been any more successful?! Clary did his best to persuade Parisian (Belch) to locate there. He lost (frankly, it would have been a better site for Perisian/Belk in my opinion). When he did, he made adjustments. I think we'd all agree it was too radical with the Wal-Mart inclusion. But to boil it down to THE issue, there are 3 (relatively) major suburban developments (not including Park Avenue) in play, which is 2 too many. It's turned out that Clary's is looking like #3 out of 3 on tenant lineup (one of them would have been) - but I would suggest its #2 on location and design. I would take a Clary development any day over Shickel, as he has a lot broader, national experience which are generally all quite nice.

Why do you think Strode would have been any more successful?! Clary did his best to persuade Parisian (Belch) to locate there. He lost (frankly, it would have been a better site for Perisian/Belk in my opinion). When he did, he made adjustments. I think we'd all agree it was too radical with the Wal-Mart inclusion. But to boil it down to THE issue, there are 3 (relatively) major suburban developments (not including Park Avenue) in play, which is 2 too many. It's turned out that Clary's is looking like #3 out of 3 on tenant lineup (one of them would have been) - but I would suggest its #2 on location and design. I would take a Clary development any day over Shickel, as he has a lot broader, national experience which are generally all quite nice.

I fault Clary in that he had the best location in terms of visability and the most land available to work with and he has done the least with it...so far. I will give him that it is not finished yet and he has time to turn it around, but if what we see now is any indication of his ability to attract quality tenants (Nouri Dress Shop, Paul's Shoes, a couple of cell phone shops, and Rack Room Shoes) then I really think he is in over his head and he has fumbled the ball.

Have they already started building the walmart?

What could have been added insted of the walmart?

I wish that Belk hadnt touched Parisian. They could have kept Parisian and then just put the lessor Belk in SC. Its not in anyway cost effective, but i wish that they could hvae have done that.

I fault Clary in that he had the best location in terms of visability and the most land available to work with and he has done the least with it...so far. I will give him that it is not finished yet and he has time to turn it around, but if what we see now is any indication of his ability to attract quality tenants (Nouri Dress Shop, Paul's Shoes, a couple of cell phone shops, and Rack Room Shoes) then I really think he is in over his head and he has fumbled the ball.

You keep mentioning a shoe shop as if thats the litmus test. Are you forgetting J.C. Penny's, Babies R Us, Copelands, Cracker Barrel, etc? What do you realistically expect since Promenade commands the "premium" tenants? The tenants so far are no worse than Pleasant Ridge (Belk, Bonefish & Fresh Market being its only significant players) - especially considering its intent; in that regard, I'd say Shackleford is more on target than PR.

Great location. Nice planning. Likely to be mid-tier tenants as (ultimately) planned. Trust me, Clary is not over his head. Let's see what plays out....

Let me weigh in.

First, I agree with Architect in that SC is a nice development. I don't think it looks cheap at all and that it is more pedestrian friendly than Pleasant Ridge. I drove through today, again, and I like the look. It's a shame that more retailers have not located there.

Architect is also right in stating that Clary has said that this would be a power center instead of a lifestyle center so you can't expect the retailers that Midtowne or Promenade Chenal have attracted. Not even the retailers in Pleasant Ridge for that fact. I hope Clary is going after tenants like TJ Maxx or Marshall's, Books-A-Million, Radio Shack, Claires or something along those lines. I think they would work well in the develoment. Don't forget that Haverty's is suppose to be relocating to SC as well. And yes, unfortunately, you will most likely see the dollar stores to go along with the nail shop and cellular stores.

SC was one of the last of the new retail developments to be announced so it didn't have much to choose from, especially since Parisian bought Belk to take away that tenant (at PR as we all know) and Dunlaps decided to close shop to take away another. That's the main reason Wal-Mart is going to SC. Hopefully Clary can get SC together because outside of Midtowne/Park Avenue it has the best location of the new retail centers. It doesn't need to go to waste.

You keep mentioning a shoe shop as if thats the litmus test. Are you forgetting J.C. Penny's, Babies R Us, Copelands, Cracker Barrel, etc? What do you realistically expect since Promenade commands the "premium" tenants? The tenants so far are no worse than Pleasant Ridge (Belk, Bonefish & Fresh Market being its only significant players) - especially considering its intent; in that regard, I'd say Shackleford is more on target than PR.

Great location. Nice planning. Likely to be mid-tier tenants as (ultimately) planned. Trust me, Clary is not over his head. Let's see what plays out....

Babies R Us was a great tenant the market needed. There are more mid-levels like that out there.

Have you been up there lately? It is conspicuous, the vast amount of unoccupied prime retail space this long after construction. Pleasant Ridge lagged a bit and filled in with local businesses. What's going in the dozens of vacant retail slots that are sitting there right now ready for tenants? I have trouble seeing where this is going.

What's going in the dozens of vacant retail slots that are sitting there right now ready for tenants? I have trouble seeing where this is going.

If we get lucky....

dollarstoresm6.jpg

Babies R Us was a great tenant the market needed. There are more mid-levels like that out there.

I am not sure how that store is doing, but if the rest of the tenants are any indication, I am concerned about the staying power of such retailers. I am hoping the Supercenter brings in the traffic needed to sustain the existing retailers.

Let me weigh in.

First, I agree with Architect in that SC is a nice development. I don't think it looks cheap at all and that it is more pedestrian friendly than Pleasant Ridge. I drove through today, again, and I like the look. It's a shame that more retailers have not located there.

Architect is also right in stating that Clary has said that this would be a power center instead of a lifestyle center so you can't expect the retailers that Midtowne or Promenade Chenal have attracted. Not even the retailers in Pleasant Ridge for that fact. I hope Clary is going after tenants like TJ Maxx or Marshall's, Books-A-Million, Radio Shack, Claires or something along those lines. I think they would work well in the develoment. Don't forget that Haverty's is suppose to be relocating to SC as well. And yes, unfortunately, you will most likely see the dollar stores to go along with the nail shop and cellular stores.

SC was one of the last of the new retail developments to be announced so it didn't have much to choose from, especially since Parisian bought Belk to take away that tenant (at PR as we all know) and Dunlaps decided to close shop to take away another. That's the main reason Wal-Mart is going to SC. Hopefully Clary can get SC together because outside of Midtowne/Park Avenue it has the best location of the new retail centers. It doesn't need to go to waste.

I think that a Books-A-Million would Fit perfect in the area. Also stores alont the lines of TJ Maxx, etc. I still have hope, but its going to be sad for a while. We will just have to wait and see.

Project ID: 65559Manager: Leslie, SamReceived: 11/7/2007 12:00:00 AMDue: 11/17/2007Logged: 11/7/2007Closed: 11/8/2007Classification: PlumbingStatus: Closed Summary:RUE 21 SHACKLEFORD CROSSING RETAIL CENTER PD 07-2193 REC 11/07/07 PD 90.00**APPROVED BY TK 11/07/07***PROJECT ADDRESS: Shackleford Crossing Retail Center .....CITY: LITTLE ROCK .....ZIP:

Project Information

Project ID: 65560Manager: Leslie, SamReceived: 11/7/2007 12:00:00 AMDue: 11/17/2007Logged: 11/7/2007Closed: 11/8/2007Classification: PlumbingStatus: Closed Summary:ROSE NAILS SHACKLEFORD CROSSING RETAIL CENTER PD 07-2194 REC 11/07/07 PD 270.00**APPROVED BY TK 11/07/07***

PROJECT ADDRESS: Shackleford Crossing Retail Center .....CITY: LITTLE ROCK .....ZIP:

Project ID: 65559Manager: Leslie, SamReceived: 11/7/2007 12:00:00 AMDue: 11/17/2007Logged: 11/7/2007Closed: 11/8/2007Classification: PlumbingStatus: Closed Summary:RUE 21 SHACKLEFORD CROSSING RETAIL CENTER PD 07-2193 REC 11/07/07 PD 90.00**APPROVED BY TK 11/07/07***PROJECT ADDRESS: Shackleford Crossing Retail Center .....CITY: LITTLE ROCK .....ZIP:

Project Information

Project ID: 65560Manager: Leslie, SamReceived: 11/7/2007 12:00:00 AMDue: 11/17/2007Logged: 11/7/2007Closed: 11/8/2007Classification: PlumbingStatus: Closed Summary:ROSE NAILS SHACKLEFORD CROSSING RETAIL CENTER PD 07-2194 REC 11/07/07 PD 270.00**APPROVED BY TK 11/07/07***

PROJECT ADDRESS: Shackleford Crossing Retail Center .....CITY: LITTLE ROCK .....ZIP:

I'm not suprised to see Rue 21 locate at SC. This is the type of retailer that locate at centers like this.

If there are going to be multiple cell phone stores I guess there have to be multiple nail shops as well.

• 3 weeks later...

wow, yet another disappointing line-up of new stores/restaurants coming to LR. i was hoping for something better in the SC center. ah well.

also, with all of the building going on (new shopping centers) you would think it would have been planned out better. in my opinion, all of the promenade stores (with the exception of apple) should have been in SC. even the IMAX seems out of place in the promenade, but i realize SC is pretty close to that RAVE theater.

anyway, am really bummed to see this line-up.

was in BRU the other day...man, was that place a ghost town. we just moved here from california and all of our BRU stores were totally picked over, disheveled and crowded. this place was amazingly clean, everything in stock, no one there shopping but me and one other woman. i was in heaven! also...am wondering how BRU might survive in that center after walmart arrives. walmart has tons of baby stuff, too...and maybe even more competitive in pricing. i hope walmart doesn't push out BRU. i love seeing them here in town!

wow, yet another disappointing line-up of new stores/restaurants coming to LR. i was hoping for something better in the SC center. ah well.

also, with all of the building going on (new shopping centers) you would think it would have been planned out better. in my opinion, all of the promenade stores (with the exception of apple) should have been in SC. even the IMAX seems out of place in the promenade, but i realize SC is pretty close to that RAVE theater.

If only Summit Mall would have been built we would be in a LOT better shape as far as retail/restaurant variety. Right now Springfield and NWA(Rogers) have us beat and they are much smaller metros than us. I'm glad the Promenade stores are not in Shackleford Crossings because that would threaten Park Plaza Mall. At least where the Promenade is located its far enough from Park Plaza it wont be near as much of a threat. They should have simply not built Shackleford Crossings period or went entirely big box. Its all a big mess.

was in BRU the other day...man, was that place a ghost town. we just moved here from california and all of our BRU stores were totally picked over, disheveled and crowded. this place was amazingly clean, everything in stock, no one there shopping but me and one other woman. i was in heaven! also...am wondering how BRU might survive in that center after walmart arrives. walmart has tons of baby stuff, too...and maybe even more competitive in pricing. i hope walmart doesn't push out BRU. i love seeing them here in town!

I am more concerned about BRU surviving as it is now. It being located back behind Shackleford Crossings with low visibility is horrible for drawing traffic. Many people probably don't even know its there. If anything, the Wal-Mart will help it. Actually, Wal-Mart can't get there soon enough, because without that traffic the existing tenants in this center face poor prospects.

I don't think we will ever see stores like Godiva and MontBlanc come to LR. You will have to go to Dallas for the kind of shopping you are used to out in California.

I don't think we will ever see stores like Godiva....come to LR. You will have to go to Dallas for the kind of shopping you are used to out in California.

Godiva was one of the original tenants of Park Plaza when it was completely renovated into the upscale interior mall in 1988 (or thereabouts). In fact, it was there for at least 10 years. I'm unsure why it closed.

Right now Springfield ...[has] us beat and they are much smaller metros than us.

In what way does Springfield have Little Rock beat in retail? This would be quite surprising, in general.

Godiva was one of the original tenants of Park Plaza when it was completely renovated into the upscale interior mall in 1988 (or thereabouts). In fact, it was there for at least 10 years. I'm unsure why it closed.

My guess is because they wanted in Summit and didn't want to renew their lease at Park Plaza. Its my understanding that Park Plaza lost more than a few key retailers for that reason. If you think about it, Simon has done a considerable amount of damage to our retail market.

Edited by bchris02

Arkansas is third from the last in per capita income according to what I heard on NPR this a.m. Granted LR/NLR and NWA have a concentration of wealth; however, there is not a critical mass of people at high income levels that is compelling enough for many national chains to assume the risks.

There's a Banana Republic in Shackleford Crossing? Fire the guy that made that decision.

I used to like Banana Republic several years ago, don't shop there much now. Still, I think the Park Plaza store is comparable to what I see in other places.

There's a Banana Republic in Shackleford Crossing? Fire the guy that made that decision.

I used to like Banana Republic several years ago, don't shop there much now. Still, I think the Park Plaza store is comparable to what I see in other places.

I may be wrong but I think they are referring to Babies R' Us.

I may be wrong but I think they are referring to Babies R' Us.

Ah, my bad. I thought I was clearly confused.

I used to shop at some in Dallas' suburbs and they always seemed kind of dead as well, yet I always read they far outperformed Toys R Us in terms of revenue. I never could figure out that contradiction, either. Regardless, I doubt that store gets busy until the shopping center as a whole is busier. Babies R Us is rarely a destination store in and of itself. I think having a Wal-Mart nearby will only help it, it will bring in traffic. It's not an upscale chain that would be affected by the negative connotation of a WM. In fact in DFW BRU is the kind of chain you'd find next to a WM or Target.

Arkansas is third from the last in per capita income according to what I heard on NPR this a.m. Granted LR/NLR and NWA have a concentration of wealth; however, there is not a critical mass of people at high income levels that is compelling enough for many national chains to assume the risks.

Interestingly, Pulaski county is the only county in the state with an income above the national average.

Interestingly, Pulaski county is the only county in the state with an income above the national average.

Interesting that Benton County isn't above the national average as well. I saw somebody the other day comparing Rogers to Beverly Hills and saying that new mixed use center being developed across from Pinnacle Hills Promenade was going to be like Rodeo Drive.

Interesting that Benton County isn't above the national average as well. I saw somebody the other day comparing Rogers to Beverly Hills and saying that new mixed use center being developed across from Pinnacle Hills Promenade was going to be like Rodeo Drive.

That may be the most ridiculous statement I have ever heard. It certainly is the most ridiculous statement I have read on this board. Was this person serious?

I think Benton is second after Pulaski. Still, it is interesting.

PHP was supposed to be a lot nicer than it is, it was downscaled from the original designs which I liked a lot better.

That may be the most ridiculous statement I have ever heard. It certainly is the most ridiculous statement I have read on this board. Was this person serious?

Sadly, this person was serious. They said that the District at Pinnacle Hills development would rival Rodeo Drive and attract retailers such as Nordstrom, Gucci, Georgio Armani, Louis Vuitton, etc to Rogers. There may be money in Rogers, but not the kind of money it takes to sustain those retailers, and NWA isn't enough of a regional draw. I don't think even LR will ever have a shot at any of those retailers save possibly Nordstrom, and even that would take the perfect development which we don't have right now.