Mills/50

camstrang

1 hour ago, bqknight said:

All of them are pink - it's part of their brand. It's meant to be very "camp" and flamboyant. It is called...Out of the Closet. 

Funny coincidence....

About a week or two ago on another forum, I was joking around with a guy about why he was getting targeted ads for women's clothing, which resulted in me suggesting that maybe he shopped for his clothing there, along with this online banner ad for them...

Screenshot-223.png

I only found it by accident and prior to that, I had never heard of them before nor ever expected to again.

Your mention in this thread is only the second time I've heard of them.

Co-inky-dink.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

Funny coincidence....

About a week or two ago on another forum, I was joking around with a guy about why he was getting targeted ads for women's clothing, which resulted in me suggesting that maybe he shopped for his clothing there, along with this online banner ad for them...

Screenshot-223.png

I only found it by accident and prior to that, I had never heard of them before nor ever expected to again.

Your mention in this thread is only the second time I've heard of them.

Co-inky-dink.

“On another forum”? @JFW657, have you been stepping out on us? Say it ain’t so!

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, codypet said:

@JFW657 $121/mo.  That includes child care for two hours at a time.  That's a big factor for Mrs. and Baby Codypet.

We also use the pool to teach the baby about swimming.

Do you know  what the current rate is for a single membership?

I was paying something like $16 a month there in '84 - '85.

1 hour ago, JFW657 said:

Do you know  what the current rate is for a single membership?

I was paying something like $16 a month there in '84 - '85.

Downtown is $72/month because it requires the “All-Y” add on to use all the branches. Some Y’s don’t (Pine Hills didn’t) and it’s about $25/month less.

There’s also a senior membership that’s less (not sure how much) and being a nonprofit you can plead your case for a reduction.

Some things I like about the Y: first, it’s all about the community and hyperlocal. The Y isn’t the cheapest facility (downtown also has an indoor and an outdoor pool)but they make a point that no one will be turned away because of the cost. By the way, these fees also help to fund programs for kids, seniors and others, especially in underprivileged areas.

There’s also no contracts unlike some of the gyms in town. If you need to leave, you can. As codypet noted, you can also suspend your membership if necessary. Dues are usually just taken monthly from your checking account so no big upfront charges (there is a joiner’s fee but it’s usually possible to work around if you ask or just look for ads when they waive it).

I haven’t been to all the Central Florida Y’s but Downtown (on Mills) is well-maintained. Because it’s a family Y, there are lots of kids and seniors (many, like me, who have been going since we were kids). As a result, if you’re not the gym buff type you’ll easily fit in and the staff is as nice as can be.

OTOH, I was just reminded some folks like eye candy around when they work out. Rest assured, there’s plenty of good-looking folks. In short, you’ll find a pretty good sampling of all the downtown neighborhoods.

Edited by spenser1058

2 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Downtown is $72/month because it requires the “All-Y” add on to use all the branches. Some Y’s don’t (Pine Hills didn’t) and it’s about $25/month less.

There’s also a senior membership that’s less (not sure how much) and being a nonprofit you can plead your case for a reduction.

Some things I like about the Y: first, it’s all about the community and hyperlocal. The Y isn’t the cheapest facility (downtown also has an indoor and an outdoor pool)but they make a point that no one will be turned away because of the cost. By the way, these fees also help to fund programs for kids, seniors and others, especially in underprivileged areas.

There’s also no contracts unlike some of the gyms in town. If you need to leave, you can. As codypet noted, you can also suspend your membership if necessary. Dues are usually just taken monthly from your checking account so no big upfront charges (there is a joiner’s fee but it’s usually possible to work around if you ask or just look for ads when they waive it).

I haven’t been to all the Central Florida Y’s but Downtown (on Mills) is well-maintained. Because it’s a family Y, there are lots of kids and seniors (many, like me, who have been going since we were kids). As a result, if you’re not the gym buff type you’ll easily fit in and the staff is as nice as can be.

OTOH, I was just reminded some folks like eye candy around when they work out. Rest assured, there’s plenty of good-looking folks. In short, you’ll find a pretty good sampling of all the downtown neighborhoods.

Like I said, I had a membership there back in the mid 80's.

From '84 to '85 or '86.

Used to walk/jog there from E. Pine & Summerlin.

Saw Martie Salt in there a couple of times.

13 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

Like I said, I had a membership there back in the mid 80's.

From '84 to '85 or '86.

Used to walk/jog there from E. Pine & Summerlin.

Saw Martie Salt in there a couple of times.

Must have been a Channel 9 thing. I used to see Bob Opsahl a couple times a month when I did Cybex.

One thing that did change which marked up the price: there used to be two men’s locker rooms - one for us poor folks and the kids and the “Men’s Fitness Center” with all the bells and whistles. The former was about $20/month cheaper. Then they closed it down and now everyone has to do the pricey one.

Edited by spenser1058

6 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

Must have been a Channel 9 thing. I used to see Bob Opsahl a couple times a month when I did Cybex.

One thing that did change which marked up the price: there used to be two men’s locker rooms - one for us poor folks and the kids and the “Men’s Fitness Center” with all the bells and whistles. The former was about $20/month cheaper. Then they closed it down and now everyone has to do the pricey one.

They had 2 plans when I was there.

The basic plan I had gave you access to the free weight room and the universal machine.

If you wanted to use the Nautilus machines, the locker room, showers and (maybe) the pool, it was a good bit more.

I'm hazy on whether or not the indoor pool was included in the basic plan. 

And there was the outdoor running track too, of course.

I just used the universal and free weights.

Until I hurt my back.

Then I quit.

2 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

They had 2 plans when I was there.

The basic plan I had gave you access to the free weight room and the universal machine.

If you wanted to use the Nautilus machines, the locker room, showers and (maybe) the pool, it was a good bit more.

I'm hazy on whether or not the indoor pool was included in the basic plan. 

And there was the outdoor running track too, of course.

I just used the universal and free weights.

Until I hurt my back.

Then I quit.

Ouch. The outdoor running track was a casualty of one of the expansions. Now you can just run them over out on the city streets (or run at Howard before or after school).

Edited by spenser1058