University of Arkansas Projects

mcheiss

• Replies 906
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Paula is usually against all change.

Yeah, that's why I just can't take her seriously. If something was an eyesore back in the 1920's, it should remain an eyesore for all future generations as well. :lol: Although in all seriousness, there are things that do need to be preserved and I'm sure she's done her part in that. But she just seems unable to cope with anything new or different.

Paula is usually against all change. She also lives on Lafayette--near campus.

She has certainly let her opinion of some of your projects be known- like it is better to let old houses fall down rather than renovate them in way that isn't 100% true to the original look.

Didn't see anything posted about it, but the Dickson Street annex was torn down the end of last week. Came down pretty quickly.

Glad to hear that. I've been waiting to see them level that building since I first visited campus. I wonder how long until they use that site for something new (I believe the last master plan I saw involved other engineering structures and greenspace between buildings over there).

What building was that?

It was the old KUAF building just across Dickson from Engineering Hall. There is a video of the demolition here.

Glad to hear that. I've been waiting to see them level that building since I first visited campus. I wonder how long until they use that site for something new (I believe the last master plan I saw involved other engineering structures and greenspace between buildings over there).

I believe that this is where the proposed bio-engineering lab building would be going, but I don't know when that would happen. Per the bi-annual, state funding requests the predicted cost is ~$80 million, so it might be a while.

I believe that this is where the proposed bio-engineering lab building would be going, but I don't know when that would happen. Per the bi-annual, state funding requests the predicted cost is ~$80 million, so it might be a while.

I just read their request list and that $78 million for a biotechnology research center isn't even the largest. They are requesting $81 million for the Mullins reno/add and a total of $60 million for more nanoscale related facilities. Guess it doesn't hurt to ask....

It is interesting that they say it is possible to add 3 million sq/ft of space to the central campus through infill and that is with only building 3-4 story buildings. The central campus includes the Athletic Valley district but still- that seems like a lot of space without even expanding into the neighborhoods or constructing taller buildings.

Apparently now Sue Madison has come out against the possible construction road. The U of A has said it's not a done deal and they're still looking at alternatives. While I can't say I'm excited about them possibly taking down the wall. I also can't say I'm particularly persuaded listening to Paula Marinoni or Sue Madison speaking out against the issue either.

Apparently now Sue Madison has come out against the possible construction road. The U of A has said it's not a done deal and they're still looking at alternatives. While I can't say I'm excited about them possibly taking down the wall. I also can't say I'm particularly persuaded listening to Paula Marinoni or Sue Madison speaking out against the issue either.

Madison is trying to micro-manage the university again- it isn't her place to decide on a consruction road location.

Don't know if it's a done deal yet. But sounds like the university is now talking about having the construction vehicles enter the Old Main lawn from Dickson St now. Just across from the Nanoscale Material Science and Engineering Building. If I remember correctly this approach had been mentioned before. I think originally the university had shot down the idea because they'll have to cut down more trees this way than from the other plan. Which of course now will make another group of people angry. But I don't think there's a lot of other options out there. I just don't see trying to access from Maple St working out.

Don't know if it's a done deal yet. But sounds like the university is now talking about having the construction vehicles enter the Old Main lawn from Dickson St now. Just across from the Nanoscale Material Science and Engineering Building. If I remember correctly this approach had been mentioned before. I think originally the university had shot down the idea because they'll have to cut down more trees this way than from the other plan. Which of course now will make another group of people angry. But I don't think there's a lot of other options out there. I just don't see trying to access from Maple St working out.

The only thing that would accomplish is move the construction traffic from Lafayette to Dickson. It would do nothing to help the lawn and in fact would be worse for the lawn. Construction traffic would have to cut all the across the lawn harming more trees and disrupting pedestrian traffic more. Trucks would have to make a sharp uphill turn off Dickson and a sharp downhill turn across traffic to get back onto Dickson. I think they need to stand their ground and go with the original plan.

OK...it looks like the Dickson Street option is likely to be chosen. If you look at a city map you can see this means construction traffic will primarily be using Dickson all the way from 71B. The only other options from the south part of town would be Duncan with it's steep hills through residential areas or School to Dickson. Accessing Dickson from the west through the campus is not an option that anyone wants to see. From the north on Garland traffic would have to jog over east on Maple to Arkansas and then south to Dickson- another bad option. Not a lot of good options but the Lafayette one would have caused the least overall disruption.

I hope this is a case of the university building capital with the community for future debates- goodwill is important to have when dealing with outspoken opponents.

OK...it looks like the Dickson Street option is likely to be chosen. If you look at a city map you can see this means construction traffic will primarily be using Dickson all the way from 71B. The only other options from the south part of town would be Duncan with it's steep hills through residential areas or School to Dickson. Accessing Dickson from the west through the campus is not an option that anyone wants to see. From the north on Garland traffic would have to jog over east on Maple to Arkansas and then south to Dickson- another bad option. Not a lot of good options but the Lafayette one would have caused the least overall disruption.

I hope this is a case of the university building capital with the community for future debates- goodwill is important to have when dealing with outspoken opponents.

Yeah I agree, there's really not a lot of good options out there. It was also mentioned that the Lafayette bridge might have problems with the additional traffic. But I don't think I'm buying that. I admit I'm not a big fan of the idea of tearing down the stone wall, even if it is temporary. But I think the bigger reason for the outcry is the NIMBYism involved from some of the usual 'vocal aspects' getting involved with this. But if this shows the university as trying to be cooperative to it's neighbors, then do the Dickson option. I just want to see this get going. Although I'm sure we'll eventually hear some outcry from Dickson St businesses from the eventually construction vehicles.

• 4 weeks later...

Trying to catch up on news from earlier in the week. Turns out there's some problems with the previously mentioned Pi Beta Phi Centennial Gate not too far north of Old Main. It's too small for emergency vehicles. This did need to be brought up by someone but I found it ironic that it turns out it's Sue Madison. Sounds like the U of A has gotten under Sue Madison and Paula Marinoni's skin. Expect that duo to raise a stink over every single U of A project for a while now.

Trying to catch up on news from earlier in the week. Turns out there's some problems with the previously mentioned Pi Beta Phi Centennial Gate not too far north of Old Main. It's too small for emergency vehicles. This did need to be brought up by someone but I found it ironic that it turns out it's Sue Madison. Sounds like the U of A has gotten under Sue Madison and Paula Marinoni's skin. Expect that duo to raise a stink over every single U of A project for a while now.

It's kind of interesting how a conversation about construction access turned into a focus on the new gate's dimensions for allowing emergency vehicle access. Anyhow, from what I can tell, it's around ten feet plus a bit. That's enough for a fire truck to fit through. They must be talking about some code that says a two lane width (20 ft) is required. Imagine if access everywhere had to be that wide.

• 1 month later...

There was an article on the Democrat Gazette today stating that apparently the U of A broke the 23,000 mark this year- unofficial enrollment tally (11th day of classes) shows 23,153 students, 4,400 are new freshman. That's a huge increase in total students from last year (1,748 students), which was a huge increase from the year before (1,556). They also mentioned that the ongoing construction to replace the former Science and Engineering Auditorium (formerly the largest lecture hall on campus) with a building containing two new science lecture halls should be completed by fall of next year. Lots of changes happening at the U of A it seems, I need to come back up and see all the progress sometime soon!

http://www.arkansasonline.com/news/2011/aug/26/ua-enrollment-sets-record-23153-early-figures-show/?latest

There was an article on the Democrat Gazette today stating that apparently the U of A broke the 23,000 mark this year- unofficial enrollment tally (11th day of classes) shows 23,153 students, 4,400 are new freshman. That's a huge increase in total students from last year (1,748 students), which was a huge increase from the year before (1,556). They also mentioned that the ongoing construction to replace the former Science and Engineering Auditorium (formerly the largest lecture hall on campus) with a building containing two new science lecture halls should be completed by fall of next year. Lots of changes happening at the U of A it seems, I need to come back up and see all the progress sometime soon!

http://www.arkansaso...es-show/?latest

Not sure how accurate this is, but I've also heard university officials are thinking about putting a cap of about 25,000 students. I realize the university is having a hard time keeping up with the increases. But I keep wondering if that would be the best way to handle this situation. Maybe this would be a temporary cap and not a hard cap, giving the university time to build for future demand. I know you can't compare the U of A with other universities, but 25,000 just doesn't seem that particularly large to me. Also seems ironic that the university was wanting to increase enrollment not too long ago only to then talk about cutting it off.

It's accurate. 25,000 is the goal they set for 2015, (originally 2020, but it got moved up) and it looks like they should be able to hit that if things continue to go so well. It's not really ironic, though I can see how from a PR standpoint it might look that way- the growth lately has been staggering (over 4,000 students in the last few years), and they didn't want to just become huge, they just wanted to boost recruitment and get some momentum and excitement about the UofA going. The current administration is smart enough to know that they don't want to be just another huge state school. They don't have the land to grow out much more, and the current core campus is much too small to accommodate a much larger student body. They also know how difficult it would be to expand the core campus in a way that respects the current layout. 25,000 is a nice size- large but not huge, and would allow the university to catch its breath, build new buildings/hire tenure-track faculty, increase standards (this is important, in my opinion), and scope out demand to decide their future course of action. The numbers that have been thrown around as an eventual "final" (of course this could change in the future as the administration changes and the state grows) cap have been 25, 28, or 30,000.

One of the factors in the recent large increases in enrollment has been the bad economy. When there are more jobs available there wil be less interest in a college education for some and they will go straight to the job market. The economy will cycle back around to a healthy growth rate regardless of what the doomsayers are forecasting. When that happens enrollment pressures will lessen and tax revenue will increase creating the ideal situation for the universtiy to grow slowly into a better school (not that it isn't a good school now).

It's accurate. 25,000 is the goal they set for 2015, (originally 2020, but it got moved up) and it looks like they should be able to hit that if things continue to go so well. It's not really ironic, though I can see how from a PR standpoint it might look that way- the growth lately has been staggering (over 4,000 students in the last few years), and they didn't want to just become huge, they just wanted to boost recruitment and get some momentum and excitement about the UofA going. The current administration is smart enough to know that they don't want to be just another huge state school. They don't have the land to grow out much more, and the current core campus is much too small to accommodate a much larger student body. They also know how difficult it would be to expand the core campus in a way that respects the current layout. 25,000 is a nice size- large but not huge, and would allow the university to catch its breath, build new buildings/hire tenure-track faculty, increase standards (this is important, in my opinion), and scope out demand to decide their future course of action. The numbers that have been thrown around as an eventual "final" (of course this could change in the future as the administration changes and the state grows) cap have been 25, 28, or 30,000.

Yeah I know it's probably best because they have to do something because they can't keep up with this type of growth. I just hope the cap is temporary. Maybe they'll finally realize they need to build up some and not keep building so many low rise buildings.

• 1 month later...

Upgrades and expansion coming for pretty much every Razorback sports program. Including expansion of Razorback Stadium, Baum Stadium, and Bud Walton Arena. This does span many years so don't expect all of it over the next 5-10 years but still the plans are impressive.

Here is the link from The Fayetteville Flyer:http://www.fayettevilleflyer.com/2011/10/18/ua-unveils-athletic-facilities-master-plan/

Lots of pictures and a 30 minute video explaining everything at the bottom.

Upgrades and expansion coming for pretty much every Razorback sports program. Including expansion of Razorback Stadium, Baum Stadium, and Bud Walton Arena. This does span many years so don't expect all of it over the next 5-10 years but still the plans are impressive.

Here is the link from The Fayetteville Flyer:http://www.fayettevi...es-master-plan/

Lots of pictures and a 30 minute video explaining everything at the bottom.

That is exciting- can't wait to see how it all plays out. It is especially interesting how they made the point that targetted donations may help some projects move faster than others. That makes me think the stadium seating expansion will be right at the front of the line along with the basketball training facility.

Archived