Conway and the Central Arkansas gas boom

GSCullum

On Thursday, KTHV in Little Rock ran two segments on the exploration of natural gas in the Fayetteville Shale around Central Arkansas. It seems that some big things are about to happen to the economy of the area, and seem to be centered around Conway. Check out these two articles.

Life Changing In Central Arkansas

Natural Gas Like Striking Gold

I can tell you everyone really is excited about all of this. Conway Economic Development Director Brad Lacey recently gave a speech to my Urban planning class at UCA, and he seemed real excited about this. He joked that it would make a lot of Beverly Hillbillies.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had heard about the Fayetteville Shale Play area and the natural gas but for some reason the article I read made me think this was more northeast Arkansas not central Arkansas.

An article in the Arkansas Business a few days ago mentioned that a Houston company had lease agreements in Woodruff and St. Francis counties, which are in northeastern Arkansas. The area of shale encompasses several counties, which are mostly in north-central Arkansas, with Conway being the hub.

This is a great boost for Arkansas' economy, especially Conway's. I'm interested to know how much money the landowners are getting for allowing their land to be used.

An article in the Arkansas Business a few days ago mentioned that a Houston company had lease agreements in Woodruff and St. Francis counties, which are in northeastern Arkansas. The area of shale encompasses several counties, which are mostly in north-central Arkansas, with Conway being the hub.

This is a great boost for Arkansas' economy, especially Conway's. I'm interested to know how much money the landowners are getting for allowing their land to be used.

Good thing it's not out west. I think in some of the western states landowners don't have rights to minerals beneath the surface.

The last price was $350 per acre for five years with a five year extension and 15% if anything is pumped out.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived