Ocean View Development

willy

This is the Architects web site for Pretty Lake. The Architect is VIA design Architecture. They are also doing the condo project called 515 bridge street in downtown Hampton. One of the many condo buildings already under construction in Downtown Hampton.
I've seen that, but didn't realize that it was Marathon's project, since the original info regarding the Marathon project was for 110 units and VIA's website has it at 64 units... that's downsizing significantly! Thanks!

Back to Granby Tower... do ya know who the GC is on that one? If someone posted it, I missed it.

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've seen that, but didn't realize that it was Marathon's project, since the original info regarding the Marathon project was for 110 units and VIA's website has it at 64 units... that's downsizing significantly! Thanks!

Back to Granby Tower... do ya know who the GC is on that one? If someone posted it, I missed it.

hmm... Didn't realize that. I think it still is 110 though. Those may be earlier renderings/details.

This is the Architects web site for Pretty Lake. The Architect is VIA design Architecture. They are also doing the condo project called 515 bridge street in downtown Hampton. One of the many condo buildings already under construction in Downtown Hampton.

Mystery solved... one of my co-workers spoke with her contact at VIA and I was able to speak with my contact at Marathon who took pity on me. VIA's project is completely different from Marathon's project... and Marathon's Pretty Lake project is being designed by *drumroll please...* Humphreys & Partners. They're really making a presence around here!!

Mystery solved... one of my co-workers spoke with her contact at VIA and I was able to speak with my contact at Marathon who took pity on me. VIA's project is completely different from Marathon's project... and Marathon's Pretty Lake project is being designed by *drumroll please...* Humphreys & Partners. They're really making a presence around here!!

Are you telling me there are 2 different pretty lake projects by 2 different architects in generally the same location? :huh: Clarification please, cause i'm really confused on this one. Has VIA's even been announced yet or did we just stumble on a new project by accident? :unsure: (P.S. Perhaps VIA's project is the one that is going to be named the WaterMark).

Are you telling me there are 2 different pretty lake projects by 2 different architects in generally the same location? :huh: Clarifiacation please, cause i'm really confused on this one. Has VIA's even been announced yet or did we just stumble on a new project by accident? :unsure: (P.S. Perhaps VIA's project is the one that is going to be named the WaterMark).
Yep, that's what I'm telling you!! Two Pretty Lake projects, two different architects. The VIA project apparently is owned and being built by JD&W from what my co-worker said that her VIA contact told her, and that they were getting ready to start construction soon. That sounds a bit off to me, though. If I don't hear anything new by next wednesday, I'll ask Dot Wood at the VB Planning Commission meeting. :wacko: Believe me, these two projects have been making my head spin for days! I don't know if VIA's project was "announced" or not.

I also spoke with the local office of Humphreys & Partners (I'm behind the times, I didn't realize that Humphreys had opened an office in Norfolk), and they confirmed that they are doing the Marathon/East Beach LLC project.

There should be a rule against using the same/similar names on new projects!!

Yep, that's what I'm telling you!! Two Pretty Lake projects, two different architects. The VIA project apparently is owned and being built by JD&W from what my co-worker said that her VIA contact told her, and that they were getting ready to start construction soon. That sounds a bit off to me, though. If I don't hear anything new by next wednesday, I'll ask Dot Wood at the VB Planning Commission meeting. :wacko: Believe me, these two projects have been making my head spin for days! I don't know if VIA's project was "announced" or not.

I also spoke with the local office of Humphreys & Partners (I'm behind the times, I didn't realize that Humphreys had opened an office in Norfolk), and they confirmed that they are doing the Marathon/East Beach LLC project.

There should be a rule against using the same/similar names on new projects!!

Camberne, those names opened up a whole world of development to me, thanks much. :lol: I've got a few updates to make on a couple of projects now. :thumbsup:

Buddys project is called "Pretty Lake Condominiums" Which is indeed different from "Pretty Lake Village". I'm gonna watch the mayors SOC again because i'm pretty sure they show a rendering of "pretty lake condominiums" in it. BTW, all this is getting moved to Ocean View P & C as soon as I get the chance.

Library in Ocean View is Demolished

The old branch library in Ocean View has been demolished and is being replaced with a new building. The article in the Virginian Pilot also mentions the current deficiencies of the Kirn Memorial Library in Norfolk. I've stated my thoughts on the Kirn in other threads. It would appear that early 1960's Modernism is unpopular with preservationists.

According to wtkr's construction zone report the Spectrum has started construction. Can anyone confirm this?

I assume that this is correct. Our firm was approached last week about doing the metal stud work for the building, so this would make sense, since metal stud work isn't really designed until after the building is started and a contractor has been hired.

• 2 weeks later...

Just thought I'd come in and share that there is now a THIRD "Pretty Lake" condominium project that is designed by CMSS Architects as part of the East Beach development that is currently out to bid for general contractors. Four buildings, 5 & 6 stories high, 39 units.

Just thought I'd come in and share that there is now a THIRD "Pretty Lake" condominium project that is designed by CMSS Architects as part of the East Beach development that is currently out to bid for general contractors. Four buildings, 5 & 6 stories high, 39 units.

Cool! I was just out there a week ago looking around. It is very nice out there!

The new east beach plan and zoning regs are online now. The document primarily deals with the immediate area around pretty lake avenue. They have imposed a maximum building height of 6 stories in that area. My question is how does that affect current projects getting ready to start (i believe taylors landing was supposed to be 10 stories) and whether this has an effect on that 25-story tower that was to be located somewhere in East Ocean View (no exact location was given). They state the reason for height regs was to preserve ocean views

Archived