Columbia Economic Notes

emerging.me

But what about along the street? There may be walking trails, but how well do they connect to the retail destinations that are so plentiful along Harbison? You couldn't pay me to walk along Harbison; all of the retail there is set amidst a sea of parking.

I hear ya. The area may have been technically walkable back when Harbison was designed (it was a cutting edge community plan at the time), but the idea was clearly not truly sustainable. If it were things like way-finding signage, park-and-walk lots, place-making along trails, and destination connectivity would be considered. I'd love to see Columbia work towards a retrofit of the whole retail area with a new urbanist type of plan, but that's never gonna happen.

Edited by emerging.me

I got it from a good source this morning that a news conference is to be held at Birds on a Wire at 5:30 today announcing that a high-tech company (fewer than 50 employees) will be relocating its headquarters from Charlotte to Main Street in Columbia. That's all I know.

I also got it from the same source that interest in the Palmetto Center (the SCANA building) has been very encouraging, with developers and others voicing interest in turning it into a mixed-use residential/office building. The hope is that an announcement about the building's future will be happening relatively sooner rather than later. That's all I know.

I got it from a good source this morning that a news conference is to be held at Birds on a Wire at 5:30 today announcing that a high-tech company (fewer than 50 employees) will be relocating its headquarters from Charlotte to Main Street in Columbia. That's all I know.

I also got it from the same source that interest in the Palmetto Center (the SCANA building) has been very encouraging, with developers and others voicing interest in turning it into a mixed-use residential/office building. The hope is that an announcement about the building's future will be happening relatively sooner rather than later. That's all I know.

No word in The State newspaper or WIS news about the high-tech company's announcement. Guess you had to be there, and I wasn't.

Good news :yahoo: . The article in the state says it's going to bring 200 jobs to the downtown area. It's always good to see high tech and knowledge based companies locating to the Midlands area :thumbsup:

Edited by 803metlife

Holy Trinity Greek Orthodox Church is planning to build a new structure downtown at Main and Richland streets. This is a good thing, as it gets rid of a parking lot, and it will bring some sense of life to that end of Main. I know it's not a new condo building, but sometimes we forget the important role that civic and religious structures play in the life of a city, particularly downtown. I also like the architecture and it will be something different for Main.

247571373668.jpg

Holy Trinity Greek Orthodox Church is planning to build a new structure downtown at Main and Richland streets. This is a good thing, as it gets rid of a parking lot, and it will bring some sense of life to that end of Main. I know it's not a new condo building, but sometimes we forget the important role that civic and religious structures play in the life of a city, particularly downtown. I also like the architecture and it will be something different for Main.

247571373668.jpg

I like the dome shaped architecture also. Civic and religious structures does play in the life of a city. D.C. has some of the most beautiful religious structures I've seen thus far.

247571373668.jpg

Beautiful! This will be a real gem. In case anyone is having trouble placing the location, it's to be located on Main St. across from the Bank of America building. Another surface lot bites the dust! :)

Edited by emerging.me

By the way, here is the link to that story. It says that the company will locate to the McCrory building at Main and Taylor. I guess that means that this project is officially dead?

This is great news. They basically do a lot home technology/audio-visual stuff (home theaters, sound systems, alarms, etc.). This company actually installed the security system in my house and they generally have very competent, friendly staff, so I have a good vibe about them. Their local Columbia office use to be way out in Lexington off I-20 but are now located in W. Cola near the Lexington Hospital. The initial sales contact we had was wonderful and is now higher up in business development, so they keep good people. It's Columbia's (and especially downtown's) honor to be home to such a company. May they grow by leaps and bounds and remain in Columbia!

Beautiful! This will be a real gem. In case anyone is having trouble placing the location, it's to be located on Main St. across from the Bank of America building. Another surface lot bites the dust! :)

Between this sanctuary and the Strom Thurmond Wellness Fitness Center, downtown will be well flanked by domes. We'll have more of that elegant light green coloring on our skyline. Sweet.

It took the whole article before the explained that this church will be at the corner of Main and Richland. I think this is pretty cool. Its still a little too auto orient for my tastes, but it beats the hell out of that old parking lot and crappiness that is there now. They just need to narrow Main St through there now...

It took the whole article before the explained that this church will be at the corner of Main and Richland. I think this is pretty cool. Its still a little too auto orient for my tastes, but it beats the hell out of that old parking lot and crappiness that is there now. They just need to narrow Main St through there now...

It is a little auto-oriented, but you'll also get a nice, streetscaped sidewalk and it looks as though a statue of some sort will be fronting the street in the island part of the sidewalk that directly faces the church. I would hope that this part of Main would get streetscaped before construction commences.

Any other cities in this state of note? ;) I like this plan. It should add a nice variation to the skyline.

Oh yeah...I forgot. We're not allowed to have a discussion about Columbia without a mention of Greenville. So...Greenville, Greenville, Greenville. Whew, that was a close call. :)

LOL @ BryCola.

In reference to the company moving into the McCrory Building, it seems as though the building is actually mixed-use, consisting of retail (restaurant, coffee shop, spa), commercial (a few commercial spaces), and condos.

I am a huge fan of mixed use developments like that. How nice is it to live in a building with a restaurant in it and other retail establishments.