Columbia Economic Notes

emerging.me

I'm still hopeful for the NCAA's, Spartan. Once we get these nagging injuries better and the freshmen get some experience I think we could end up a pretty good team. I hope so, since I've got tickets to the SEC Tournament and I hate losing in the first round. Heck, I hate losing, period.

Although we don't know for sure that it's Google, we now know that a massive data management center is being proposed for 466 acres south of Blythewood. The proposed $200 million to $800 million data center, which could be built in two stages, could employ as many as 600 people. The complex would include eight 10-acre warehouses chock-full of computer servers, according to a proposal filed with the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers.

Seem as though South Carolina has miss out on another great oppurtunity. Google hasn't choosen any of it's S.C. sites instead has went with it's North Carolina site 60miles outside of Charlotte. Google will hire as many as 210 people in the next four years in Lenoir, N.C., with an average wage of more than $48,000. North Carolina officials credited a 12-year, $4.8 million grant from the state as a key incentive for luring Google.

I'm trying to figure out why everyone is assuming that Google was interested in JUST one site in the Carolinas? The article I read said that it is still considering the Goose Creek sight, and something is still up in Blythewood. The first line of the article in The State covering this development clearly says, "Google chose North Carolina for a $600 million data center on Friday, but said it hasn't ruled out building a similar facility in South Carolina."

I'm trying to figure out why everyone is assuming that Google was interested in JUST one site in the Carolinas? The article I read said that it is still considering the Goose Creek sight, and something is still up in Blythewood. The first line of the article in The State covering this development clearly says, "Google chose North Carolina for a $600 million data center on Friday, but said it hasn't ruled out building a similar facility in South Carolina."

I think it's because we're used to so many companies NOT choosing South Carolina and going to North Carolina and Georgia. I'm tired of being in the shadow of those 2 states. Yes we got BMW and a few others, but our state remains poor and not very industrialized.

Extra, extra, read all about it.

In the business section of tomorrow's "The State," there's going to be an article about a "major downtown developer" who is "working to purchase an entire city block adjacent to USC's research campus." Who could it be? Tom Prioreschi? Holder Properties? Which block? Early to bed, early to rise, to read the article tomorrow.

Extra, extra, read all about it.

In the business section of tomorrow's "The State," there's going to be an article about a "major downtown developer" who is "working to purchase an entire city block adjacent to USC's research campus." Who could it be? Tom Prioreschi? Holder Properties? Which block? Early to bed, early to rise, to read the article tomorrow.

...or late to bed, like Krazee and I, and read it online tonight! I hope this is the REALLY big kind of news we've been wanting for awhile.