Columbia Economic Notes

emerging.me

This isn't huge news or anything, but in the spirit of complete-ism, here's a rendering I found of the new Target planned for 378 & Hope Ferry Road in Lexington...

LexPav-target.jpg

The big box invasion continues.

Well, at least it's not a Wal-Mart. :) I wish Columbia would consider some other big box alternatives.

Well, at least it's not a Wal-Mart. :) I wish Columbia would consider some other big box alternatives.

OK, I didn't know about this parking garage. Thanks for the info.

Awesome news--this parking garage is SORELY needed in the Vista, especially on the north side of the street. :thumbsup: Can't wait till Wild Wings opens . . :yahoo:

I think I heard that Target is also building a new store in West Columbia, as well as Lexington. Is this right? That also would be AWEsome news. The one on Garners Ferry is nice, but W. Cola. would be even closer for me.

I agree with BryCola, that "wall" comment was a bit much. I also live just over the river in Lexington County. Municipal/county boundaries notwithstanding, it's just an extension of Columbia--the west side of town and the riverbank.

Awesome news--this parking garage is SORELY needed in the Vista, especially on the north side of the street. :thumbsup: Can't wait till Wild Wings opens . . :yahoo:

I think I heard that Target is also building a new store in West Columbia, as well as Lexington. Is this right? That also would be AWEsome news. The one on Garners Ferry is nice, but W. Cola. would be even closer for me.

I agree with BryCola, that "wall" comment was a bit much. I also live just over the river in Lexington County. Municipal/county boundaries notwithstanding, it's just an extension of Columbia--the west side of town and the riverbank.

The only new Target that I know of is on 378...kinda between West Columbia and Lexington, although I think it will officially be in Lexington.

I guess the "wall" needs to be built past Cayce and West Columbia, which definitely have more in common with Columbia than Lexington.

But I just think Matt meant that the politics and overall vibe of Lexington County is so contrasted with that of Richland County (for the most part), you'd think it was more than a river separating the two. I didn't think he meant that people from Lexington County should be "shut out" of the city.

I remember seeing this mentioned by some of you guys, but the Columbia Star reports that the GranDevine condo complex on Devine Street is nearing completion and should be open in about a month. I also didn't know that it used to be apartments before that. It was originally built as the Schneider School in 1924. Here's a rendering of how the entrance will look upon completion:

019p1_xlg.jpg

nice, but the idiot that made the rendering drew in palm trees that won't winter in South Carolina. I've seen that before and it irks me. Draw in Palmetto's or at least some other palms like Mexican Fan's, Chinese Windmills or Pindo's that can winter in Columbia. Argggggh! :P

I guess the "wall" needs to be built past Cayce and West Columbia, which definitely have more in common with Columbia than Lexington.

But I just think Matt meant that the politics and overall vibe of Lexington County is so contrasted with that of Richland County (for the most part), you'd think it was more than a river separating the two. I didn't think he meant that people from Lexington County should be "shut out" of the city.

That's correct; mostly I am referring to the fact that Lexington County government always balks about contributing to metro area expenses: The Colonial Center, The Convention Center, the bus system, etc. Richland County and the city always end up paying more than our fair share for stuff that benefits the whole area. I almost had a cow when I saw that Lexington County was helping with the Inferno's new arena.

That's correct; mostly I am referring to the fact that Lexington County government always balks about contributing to metro area expenses: The Colonial Center, The Convention Center, the bus system, etc. Richland County and the city always end up paying more than our fair share for stuff that benefits the whole area. I almost had a cow when I saw that Lexington County was helping with the Inferno's new arena.

I understand how you feel, and you're right. Glad you don't want to tar and feather us, then!

I wish Cayce-W. Cola. could just secede from the rest of the Lexington County, and join Richland. For too long, the county has focused on Lexington and Irmo to the neglect of our two municipalities, the closest thing they have to an urban environment. In a dream world, Lexington County would abandon their flight out to the lake, and think more urban and

Why should Lexington pay the same at Richland and Columbia when most of the people who would use these facilities live in Richland County, the facilities are located there, and most of the benefit goes to Richland?

No one is asking them to pay the same amount, but it would be nice if they contributed their fair share. If it wasn't for the city of Columbia, Lexington County would not be much different than Newberry or Saluda Counties, economically. The vast majority of Lexington County's residents work in Columbia and should contribute in some way. Even if a venue or event is located in downtown Columbia, Lexington County reaps benefits. let's use the Three Rivers Music Festival, for example. It was held on the river and the Gervais Street bridge, equally in both counties. Did Lexington County contribute to the expense? I don't think so; the city did.

Why should Lexington pay the same at Richland and Columbia when most of the people who would use these facilities live in Richland County, the facilities are located there, and most of the benefit goes to Richland?

While Lexington County shouldn't be expected to contribute an equal amount, the nit-picking needs to stop because both Richland and Lexington counties have got to work together and think of themselves as one, where clean air standards are concerned. If we don't meet the clean air standards by late 2007, the feds aren't going to care where the county line is; they'll just put new restrictions in place that will make it hard for the Columbia area to continue growing economically.

No one is asking them to pay the same amount, but it would be nice if they contributed their fair share. If it wasn't for the city of Columbia, Lexington County would not be much different than Newberry or Saluda Counties, economically. The vast majority of Lexington County's residents work in Columbia and should contribute in some way. Even if a venue or event is located in downtown Columbia, Lexington County reaps benefits. let's use the Three Rivers Music Festival, for example. It was held on the river and the Gervais Street bridge, equally in both counties. Did Lexington County contribute to the expense? I don't think so; the city did.

Good answer. I agree completely. Lexington should make some contribution, even if its only 20-25 percent.

From the latest edition of the Free Times:

It will soon be closing time at one of the last remnants of Columbia's old self, a holdout from before developers began reshaping the city several years ago. On Aug. 13, the city began advertising for bids on a project to connect the wildly popular Saluda River rapids at Riverbanks Zoo and Garden to the Three Rivers Greenway. The greenway expansion will increase access to the river, but also end the days of the rapids affording young revelers a largely unregulated party spot. Alcohol will no longer be allowed. The River Alliance will oversee the estimated $5.8 million project, which will be funded with local and federal dollars.

Hope to see this get underway shortly!

There's a very exciting article is this issue of Free Times about the Nickolodean Theater's future home on Main Street next to Lourie's men's department store. They will begin their official fund-raising campaign in December and move into it in 2008. They first thought the building was built in the 1930's, but interior building materials told them it was more like the late 1800's. Not only will their seating capacity more than double, but they will have a piano bar and somewhat of a small movie museum. The director, Larry Hembree, is quoted as saying it will be a true art house, a movie theater that will draw nationwide attention among those in the movie industry. He said when people see what has been uncovered in there it will blow them away, and when they see the finished product!!!!!, .............. Talk about a big boost to that block of Main Street.

There's a very exciting article is this issue of Free Times about the Nickolodean Theater's future home on Main Street next to Lourie's men's department store. They will begin their official fund-raising campaign in December and move into it in 2008. They first thought the building was built in the 1930's, but interior building materials told them it was more like the late 1800's. Not only will their seating capacity more than double, but they will have a piano bar and somewhat of a small movie museum. The director, Larry Hembree, is quoted as saying it will be a true art house, a movie theater that will draw nationwide attention among those in the movie industry. He said when people see what has been uncovered in there it will blow them away, and when they see the finished product!!!!!, .............. Talk about a big boost to that block of Main Street.

That is very exciting news for Nickelodeon and the city. Sounds like an excellent move for them. This will help bring a lot of evening traffic to Main Street. I am 42 and when I was growing up, my buddies and I would go see movies at one of the old Main Street theaters nearly every weekend. I know that sounds like ancient history, but it really wasn't that long ago (or was it?).

That would indeed be a big boost to that part of Main. Good news!

Larry is a hoot and he will get that fundraising accomplished and the new theater going. I can't wait to see the finished product.

This is right next to my home in Dutch Fork of of Shady Grove. Close shopping is nice, but I'm not much of a shopper. They HAVE to widen Broad River to four lanes from I-26 to Ballentine (where it is already strangely 4 lanes) in order to support the traffic, then the added traffic will not be a nuisance. It's inevitable, I still support my local businesses, but Wal-Mart has many products that local business don't even offer. I just think they should be mandated to provide health insurance for ALL their employees, but that's another topic. I am a real estate agent and I called a couple months ago to inquire about some property for sale, and was told it was already owned ny Wal-MArt, that is when I found out. But it was not the property shown on the map. It was the old brick house and outbuilding on Broad River a little closer to I-26, so I don't know why Wal-MArt owns that. I would say it's good for my property values, but I know better. Long before I became a real estate agent I realized that home appreciation was a lie dreamed up by the industry. When everything else goes up, you've gained nothing. Oh well, I always thought it was nice to have shopping close by in Harbison, but never expected it this close! I guess it's only a matter of time before we get a Shady Grove exit on I-26, which will be good and bad for me.

walmart is in teh process of a massive expansion plan. they want to get ahead of growth because they are realizing that more and more places are starting to oppose their stores (in terms of construction).

Its certainly ironic that people dont seem to want walmarts too close to their homes, but when they are built, people shop there anyway.